4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great player
I was looking for a good value MP3 player and after reading around various sites for reviews etc opted for the Archos 18 Vision - and I'm very glad I did!

Published on 4 April 2011 by magickat

2.0 out of 5 stars Two major design faults
The player is decently built and sound quality is good. But two unforgivable problems are:

1. It is impossible to play tracks in correct order, either using filename or ID3 track number tag. The track order is always jumbled up in no discernable order.

2. Tracks always fade in and fade out at the end, no way to disable this.

There is no...
Published on 3 Aug 2011 by Kevin Littlefield

2.0 out of 5 stars Two major design faults, 3 Aug 2011
Kevin Littlefield "Kev The Rev" (Wimbledon, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ARCHOS 18 Vision 8GB MP3/MP4 Player with FM (Electronics)

2. Tracks always fade in and fade out at the end, no way to disable this.

There is no firmware update for the player. I eMailed Archos support about these two issues and recieved no response. It's a shame, the company and their players used to be really good, now they just don't seem to care.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking, 15 Feb 2011
Neil Curtis (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ARCHOS 18 Vision 8GB MP3/MP4 Player with FM (Electronics)
I bought the Archos as a replacement for my old Sony MP3 that I carelessly lost. I use it mainly for motivational and educational home study cd courses.

Now perhaps its me but I have tried quite a few times to put them in order and looking at them on my laptop,in the Archos drive, all the cd's and the tracks thereon are in order, but once I disconnect and check the Archos, some of the tracks are missing, or jumbled up.

This is a real frustrating problem as the cd's have to be listened to in sequence. The intructions are a little sparse to say the least, and I cant seem to rectify this issue.

The unit feels good to the touch but the interface seems far to cumbersome for my liking.

Would I buy another ? Well I am considering replacing this with a more standard Sony MP3 so you'll just have to draw your own conclusions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great player, 4 April 2011
This review is from: ARCHOS 18 Vision 8GB MP3/MP4 Player with FM (Electronics)

The price is extremely competitive, especially for an 8GB memory which I have yet to fill up. The battery life is brilliant, I think I have only charged it 4 times in around two months and I use it for at least 2 hours a day, if not more. The unit is compact and sleek and has a nice feel to it. The controls are pretty easy to get used to and you can create a favourites list just on the player, or more of your own playlists when plugged into your computer.

It is very easy to add/remove music, just a case of drag and drop really. The order of tracks is sometime s alittle muddled but I think that is mostly down to my own poor labelling of files, so if your music is well organised I wouldn't anticipate any issues.

Sound quality is excellent, the supplied earphones are fine, I only replaced them because I prefer ones that clip over my ears - the other sort just fall out! There is no charger as it charges when plugged into your computer via USB cable, but you can get a charger for around 4 if you need one.

Highly recommended as budget MP3 player with ;lots of extra features, including FM radio.

4.0 out of 5 stars ARCHOS 18 Simple and Elegant, 18 Feb 2011
D. A. Wood (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ARCHOS 18 Vision 8GB MP3/MP4 Player with FM (Electronics)
I have had the ARCHOS 18 Mp3 player for just over a month now and don't regret the decision to buy it. It simple yet effective, if your like me and just want a good drag and drop Mp3 player where you don't have to load software ever time you want to add a new album then this is a good choice.

The main advantages of this Mp2 player are:
- No software need drag and drop straight into the file directory.
- Simple interface.
- Well mapped out buttons.
- Built in FM radio (although I don't use this very often it seems good enough).
- Small lightweight with a good battery life (I only have to charge it once a weeks and I use it for about 4/5 hours a day).

There are a few problems with it such as:
- No lock button so buttons can get pressed in your pocket by accident.
- Audio quality could be better but it still good.
- Video function is a novelty but the screen it too small for it to be much use. The same goes for the picture function.

It all its a good Mp3 player and that's what I think is important.

3.0 out of 5 stars very fair, 21 April 2011
This review is from: ARCHOS 18 Vision 8GB MP3/MP4 Player with FM (Electronics)
bought this for the mrs its not bad for the price , sound and video not as good as my sony but was half the price shes happy with it see if it lasts after a bit of use

3.0 out of 5 stars SORTING THE TRACKS - * SOLVED *, 17 April 2011
This review is from: ARCHOS 18 Vision 8GB MP3/MP4 Player with FM (Electronics)
There is a way to sort the tracks. Dragging a folder to the mp3 player won't sort those tracks as named. In simple terms each track must be dragged individually. If the tracks are already on the mp3 player it is easy and fairly quick - per CD folder. If the following instructions are not clear enough then search Google for 'Archos 8gb sorting tracks' and you may find my web page.

Either of the following solutions presume you have already transferred the tracks to the player (this is more straightforward).

If you use separate folders for each CD or artist then create a new folder (eg TEMP) within that CD/Artist folder on the music player. Drag each track one by one, in the order you wish, to the TEMP folder. CUT the TEMP folder from within the CD folder and PASTE to the MUSIC folder. Then delete the old CD folder which now should be empty. Rename the TEMP folder to be the same as the CD/Artist name etc.

If you do not have separate folders for each CD/Artist then I think the only way to sort the tracks would be to rename the MUSIC folder on the music player to TEMP. Then create a new folder and call it MUSIC. Then drag the tracks one at a time from the TEMP folder to the MUSIC folder. This method presumes the tracks in the TEMP folder are sorted alphabetically and also depends on how the tracks are named. Once the track number comes before the track name itself it should work correctly. It will be tedious but may be worth your while - if you've nothing else to do for the next few years!

Original Title Of This Review: not fit for purpose
All I wanted was a simple mp3 player. I wasn't interested in fancy videos etc so I though a cheap mp3 player would suit my requirements. This player is NOT in that category.

One fundamental function of an mp3 player is that it plays tracks in a pre-defined specific order ie from track 1 to the last track. To bring out an mp3 player which is unable to do that is an insult to the public. It never occurred to me that there could be such a thing as an mp3 player which was unable to play tracks in the correct order.

To put it mildly this player should not be described as cheap, rather, it should be described as shoddy and useless. I certainly regret buying it and will look around for a real mp3 player. It was a total waste of money.

I have decided to give 3 stars because apart from the track problem which, once solved, the player does what an mp3 player is meant to do - play songs!

5.0 out of 5 stars MP3/4player, 31 May 2014
This review is from: ARCHOS 18 Vision 8GB MP3/MP4 Player with FM (Electronics)
A very nice little piece of apparatus, bought for a medium-term stay in a foreign hospital. Gave me much enjoyment. Not enamoured of the matching dock, but the player is super.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely little MP3 player, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: ARCHOS 18 Vision 8GB MP3/MP4 Player with FM (Electronics)
bought this has a present for my father in law, because it was small compact and has an 8GB memory, its really easy to use if you want to listen to music on the go, great product archos

5.0 out of 5 stars No problem with wma files being played., 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: ARCHOS 18 Vision 8GB MP3/MP4 Player with FM (Electronics)
I notice on some reviews that they indicate wma files not playable, but I would like to add that I have not had any problems with playing my MP3 and WMA files, although I do not buy any music with copywrite protection, perhaps that was where others had problems. This is the second Archos I have had, and this one has a really nice sound tone. The Archos Vision 2 I bought lasted only 8 months, and was replaced under guarantee, then after about a further 12 months the other has become faulty, in both cases the jack socket failed. Have now taped the cable to the case, ....used with Sennheiser CX500 earbuds the sound is really impressive, good bass and treble OK,. pleanty of 'headroom' for volume left, Very pleased with Archos and Sennheiser overall. Update, 1 yr on, sound quality when using Sennheiser cheapo earbuds is excellent, not too harsh and softer tone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated Amateur, 1 Jan 2012
This review is from: ARCHOS 18 Vision 8GB MP3/MP4 Player with FM (Electronics)
Never had an MP3 player before. It seems that when I sync tracks from a CD to my Archos 18c vision the first CD with all tracks appears in the Music file but when I sync the next CD it overwrites the first one - which seems to disappear. Can someone please advise how I should go about this as the 'manual' just says transfer tracks and it will automatically sort. I have spent several days (many hours) trying to resolve and badly need help.