5.0 out of 5 stars HEIMAT 1 FROM SECOND SIGHT STUDIOS
Published on 13 July 2010 by Bryn Ferndale

2.0 out of 5 stars Heimat 1 by Facet
Heimat: A Chronicle of Germany [1984] (Region 1) (NTSC) [DVD] [US Import]
This is a not a criticism of the actual film Heimat which is superb but I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the picture of this DVD compilation by "Facet". It seems to be basically a recording from a TV broadcast. the picture quality is what you would expect from a VHS recording from...
Published on 21 May 2009 by J. Hurley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars HEIMAT 1 FROM SECOND SIGHT STUDIOS, 13 July 2010
This review is from: Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] (DVD)
Fellow aficionados of Heimat (a Chronicle of Germany) looking to replace their well worn copies of Heimat 1 (VHS in my case!) were probably as pleased as I when noting that Amazon were planning to sell a new (to me) edition from the Second Sight Studio. However, I held back from ordering in June on the release date (a) because I was concerned at the negative commentary coming from Amazons USA and Germany concerning the production quality of editions from souces other than Second Sight,(b) the eye-watering second hand prices of the high quality Tartan editions on e-bay etc. (c) I couldn't find any reviews which contained reports on tne quality of the new edition (most simply repeated the synopsis...useful to newcomers to the Chronicles, but perhaps not for the enthusiast.) I put my problem to Jason Best, Film Editor and critic of IPC publications who followed thru with the Second Sight folk and confirmed back to me that they used the same material as Tartan resulting in the same high quality. Received my 6 DVDs from Amazon this morning (promptly and in excellent condition as usual) and tried a small section from each DVD....absolutely superb!!...I will certainly be replacing my copies of Heimat 2 soon

5.0 out of 5 stars a very brief review-for the complete heimat novice, 21 Aug 2008
Heimat: A Chronicle of Germany [1984] (Region 1) (NTSC)I promise to keep this brief!I remember HEIMAT being shown on british tv in 1985; I watched it on a little B+W tv and I was a student at the time-it provided me with light relief from studying.Many of the reviewers comment on the switching from black and white to colour throughout the film and how annoying it is:I only watched it again recently (23 years later!) and understand the film makers reasons for this.
The characters are very 'real' in this film, at time it's almost like watching a documentary of how people lived in a little village a hundred years ago.It has non of the 'hollywood' trappings (glamour,make-up,etc)of conventional films.It's all about the dynamics that exist between the people in the village-who are all related and connected and have (unlike today) well defined roles within their community (e.g.the blacksmith,the basketmaker, the factory owner,the mayor etc) and homes (e.g. the matriach).The film also intertwines all this with political and culural changes over a sixty year period and examines the characters responses to these changes.Of course the characters also keep hitting base line namely HEIMAT ( their home) and just keep coming back or never quite manage to leave.Once you start watching it,you find yourself hooked into Heimat very quickly and can't wait to see the next episode!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] (DVD)
Often a great series starts off well but fades about halfway through, Twin Peaks being one example. Heimat is an exception; just when you think it can't get any better, it does. My only criticism is that the first couple of episodes look as if they were shot on a cheap video camera, however the quality picks up later and the photography is wonderful throughout. So nice too that the incidental music is subtle and appropriate. If you like this take a look at Berlin Alexanderplatz, which is also excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magnificent Journey I Wished It Did Not End, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] (DVD)
This has to be the greatest TV series I have ever seen. Though it's about 15 hours long, I finished watching all the episodes in just two days. Once I've started, I could not stop. I wanted to enjoy the series for as long as possible but it was just so gripping like a vice that I could not resist waiting.

Though I come from a different cultural, historical, and political background, I could easily connect with the characters in the series. I felt like I know them, and that deep within all of us there is a shared link that connects us to each other no matter where we live or how we were brought up. I think the ability of the director and the cast to portray a universal image of humanity is one of the key factors that made watching the series such a rewarding and appealing experience to me, and to many others out there I guess.

Another reason why I fell in love with the series is the script. I must say that Edgar Reitz is a genius to come up with such a powerful and mesmerizing script. It's easily noticeable that the dialogues and monologues in the series were written by the hand of a master; by someone who truly believes in the power of the word. I sometimes had to pause the episode to contemplate what I hear on the screen and to appreciate the sheer force spoken words can stir with us. I was truly impressed because to me cinema is not only about stunning visuals but also about language and how you can combine the two to produce a richer and deeper experience.

By the way, this series is not short of fascinating visuals. There are actually a lot of breathtaking images of rural Germany. And that made me sometimes wish that all the episodes were shot in colour to savour the enchanting beauty of German countryside more and more : )

One of the things that I noticed is that the episodes are not of equal length. Some last for one hours and others exceed that to about two hours. I did not expect that. What I expected is nine episodes of approximately the same time duration each. That was not a problem though : )

I am really very delighted, and privileged, I got to know and see Heimat. I cannot recommend this highly enough to anyone interested in deep and serious cinema.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] (DVD)
For anyone interested in history, this historical drama/documentary is fantastic. From the start to the end we found it totally absorbing. Brilliantly filmed and acted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Class., 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] (DVD)
This is top quality TV drama from the 80's. After a few minutes, you forget that most of it is in black-and-white and that there are subtitles ( that's how absorbing it is). My main reason for buying it, having vaguely remembered it when first shown, was to see how it dealt with the rise of the Nazis. Early episodes reveal mild intolerances. Later we see some gleefully welcoming Nazism, some capitalising from it but most just going along with it. Only Kath ( my favourite character), Paul's mother, seems to see trouble ahead. The acting throughout is excellent, Maria's ageing using the same actress is brilliantly done, though some of the age leaps using different actors are not so successful. Some complain that there are too many loose ends like the body in the forest and why does Paul suddenly walk out on a beautiful wife and 2 children? I have my own theories but will not bore you with them here. Anyway, real life is full of loose ends. There are so many fascinating aspects to this such as the transformation of the village. The scene where they first receive radio is just amazing. In that respect, we have come a long way in 90 years. In others, sadly, there has been little change; as Kath predicts " no good will come of living off tick". How right she was! Brilliant , thought-provoking TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best TV Series Ever, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] (DVD)
Oh Dear - one reviewer says that he bought this and it was in BLACK & WHITE and not only that this GERMAN film had the bad taste to have SUBTITLES as well. Oh no, the world may come to an end at any any minute. What I say to my kids is "just because a film is in black and white it doesn't mean to say that it's rubbish. And I think only stupid people can't watch images and read words at the same time. If you fall into either of these categories then you are missing out on one of the best TV series ever! Watch it, identify with the characters and absorb yourself in the exceptional drama. Don't be stupid - watch this is a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heimat - Television for grown-ups, 17 Aug 2010
C. B. Kay "Callum" (Glasgow, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] (DVD)
This is like 'The Wire' in the sense that it is 'sit up and watch' television. It is probably best watched over a number of evenings. An unusual aspect is that the episodes are of different lengths depending the arc of that part of the narrative. It gives a powerful insight into life in rural Germany from the First World War to the early 1980s. You are made aware of how Germany changed as a society by seeing the micro effects of the changes on a small community.

This is television for grown-ups.

Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning good, 23 July 2010
H. Cusack (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely superb and my only regret is that I bought 2 and 3 out of sequence. Faultless in every respect. The director Edgar Reitz should try making a movie of Thomas Mann's Budderbrooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing & Compelling, 20 Sep 2012
Nicholas Casley (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] (DVD)
I came to this series late, almost thirty years after it was produced. I found it compelling.

This series follows the Simon family from 1919 to 1982 through the eyes of Glasisch-Karl, an apparently illegitimate son of the family's matriarch, Katarina, but a man who is therefore half in the family and half an outsider looking in. It starts on 9 may 1919 and the return of Paul Simon from the war to his rural community in the village of Schabbach in the Hunsruck area of Germany (between Koblenz and Trier). It ends with the death of Glasisch-Karl in the village square, whereupon he goes to heaven to be re-united with all the main characters seen in the preceding nine hundred minutes of the series. It is very cleverly done.

Most of the eleven episodes is each an hour long, but at least one is over two hours in length. These episodes might seem long, but time flies so quickly, so absorbing is the drama that unfolds. Some episodes cover a decade or more, whilst one or two focus on a single year. My favourite episode was that which sees little Hermann through adolescence into the wider world of nascent adulthood in the 1950s.

As well as a comment on the history of Germany through most of the twentieth century, the film also provides a history of technology: the development of radios, cars, cameras, aircraft, cinema, farm machinery (but alas not trains) are all featured.

There are many moment of humour, but I was also struck how apparently uncaring members of the family could be to wards each other. Sure, they all care for each other in their own way, but there is little physical contact between them and little joy. What does this say about family life in the twentieth century?

Like the great Russian film director Andrei Tarkovsky, Heimat's director/writer, Edgar Reitz, often alternates between black and white and colour film; this can be annoying as there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the changes. There are, alas, no extras on this DVD set, so we do not know why he choose to do this, although Wikipedia declares that this apparently conveys different emotional states of the protagonists. Unfortunately, the visual quality of 1980s TV film are also sometimes clear to see.

But these are minor quibbles in what turned out to be a fantastic series. I enjoyed it so much, I have now purchased the second series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD]
Heimat - A Chronicle of Germany [DVD] by Edgar Reitz (DVD - 2010)