1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 23 July 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This fourth book in the Dark Days series is very different for one big reason: it's told from Danaus POV instead of Mira's. This is the first time we get a look in to the mind of the hunter since we met him in book one. He's fought Mira, promised to kill her, fought alongside her and saved her on more than one occasion. But he's always been a bit of a mystery, never showing that much of himself. Now, finally, we can find out what he really thinks and feels. Towards Mira and about the world around him. He's lived a very long life, seen a lot of wars, lost a lot of friends, and is continually fighting to keep the human world safe from the dark one it doesn't know.

Pray For Dawn picks up a couple of months after the events of book 3, Dawnbreaker, and Danaus is being summoned back to Savannah, Mira's domain. Once there he quickly discovers not everything is well. A senator's daughter is dead and the family are making a lot of noise in the press. The killing wasn't by a human and it could put pressure on the vampire community, so it needs to be hushed up and quickly. Danaus is ordered by Themis leader Ryan, to protect Mira and help figure out who the killer is and what their aim is. Not an easy task at the best of times, but it's harder still when the bori who owns part of Danaus' soul, is fighting for full control, and he's determined to have it.

I loved this book from the start. It was oddly easy to switch from seeing the world from Mira's eyes, to Danaus'. He sees things differently to Mira and has his own personal demons to fight as well. Danaus thinks a lot, sees things in a lot of detail and doesn't miss much. It was very interesting seeing from his POV how he deals with the people around him, what matters to him, how he can/will work with others be they human, vampire, lycan or other. Getting more of his backstory was eye opening as to why he is how he is, why he's so determined to destroy vampires. His relationship with Mira has always been a bit strange. Hunter and vampire forced to work together but promising to kill each other one day. It's been a relationship that's built slowly and I know I'm not alone with the thinking 'will they, won't they get together'. That is something that's continued through this book, clearer than before, but still not front and center and something that's still not got a clear outcome.

A lot happens in this book between the dead girl, Mira's rapidly failing sanity, the naturi and the bori and it was hard to put down. There are some pretty big shocks along the way and a moment that very nearly caused tears for me. Mira's behaviour is off from her first appearance in PfD, but it's not until near the end where we find out just what is going on with the nightwalker. Mira not quite being herself made for some interesting, painful and tense moments, and particularly interesting was how Danaus responded to them. The vast world created in this series is expanded with further knowledge about the bori, and how their presence effects vampires and others. Also a further look in to the workings of the vampires in Mira's domain, of which one scene in particular made for entertaining reading. There is a lot in the way of personal struggles in this book, with Danaus and Mira, and I'd love to see some of the moments of this book from her POV as well. But Danaus made for a great narrator and I'm really, really pleased with how this book came out. I don't always get on with changes of POV and while I was really looking forward to seeing what Danaus really thought of Mira, I wasn't completely sure I'd love this book like I did book 3. Turned out, I really shouldn't have worried because I loved this one more.

Pray For Dawn is my favourite book of the series so far. It's fast, action packed with a very twisting ride of emotions. Seeing the world through different eyes doesn't just change how I viewed Danaus, but certain other characters as well. The ending was tense and fraught with danger not knowing how it was going to end for certain people. And it's a hell of a cliff hanger!! I got to the end and almost screamed in frustration. It's a cruel point to end the book, but at least it's only a month long wait for book 5, Wait For Dusk, which from the blurb (and the cover, if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean) promises to be even more shocking and awesome. Anything longer may well have killed me because it is a very dramatic ending. I've read a lot of cliff hanger endings, but this is one of the worst. I can't wait to find out what happens next for Mira and Danaus (book 5 is back to Mira's POV, out 27th July). And maybe get a glimpse of Mira's thoughts regarding a few certain moments of this one. A fantastic book, a great series, and one that should be read as soon as possible!