on 17 April 2014
“Each writer only knows one set of truths, and those things are only true for that particular writer . . .”

Write Good Or Die is a collection of writing articles from a selection of published and unknown authors. The advice and subjects vary, as does their relevance. There’s no structure to the book: no unifying themes or thoughts or overarching point. It’s merely a mass of articles—some good, some bad—much like Lawrence Block’s Telling Lies but without the consistency, intelligence and wit of that book.

Much of the advice is obvious or clichéd and most aspiring authors will have already read or learned it elsewhere. However, a few pieces of gold can be found amongst all the rubble. Plus it’s free and a quick read, so it’s worth checking out. Just don’t expect for it to change your outlook on writing, or unlock a secret key to success.

Download it, skim it, then delete it and move on to something better.
on 5 May 2013
I found "Write Good or Die" and interesting read that covers a lot of ground on the subject of becoming a self published author and as I am entering this field for the first time, the work was incredibly useful.

There are a lot of articles in here, most from different authors each giving their own anecdotes and points that they found workable for them. It seems to be such a varied field with no sure fire method to success and so this is probably the only worthwhile and workable approach that can be taken with such material.

Did I learn something from it - yes. The articles on creating a premise for the book that can be given whenever talking about what I am currently writing were specifically what I most appreciated and learned from reading this. There were a few in there that covered "just write dammit" and letting it flow that I also enjoyed. There were other articles in there that I also found equally interesting - on agents and the hiring or not hiring of them, what self publishing has meant for the book world and that I am not the only person out there that has an urge to tinker with work I've already done.

The only down side is that some articles of it are contrary to others, though I suppose that is always going to happen when you have so many contributors from so many different backgrounds.

At the end of the day its advice, and in closing Scott Nicholson even covers that if you don't like, don't take it which is only fair enough. Plus its free, so if you didn't like the advice, what did you really lose?
on 19 February 2014
This was just a collection of what looked like blog posts and at times annoying personal statements. I got sick of the continuous praise for Stephen King, so what if he's one of America's most prolific writers, he's hardly Shakespeare. No new revelations revealed here and most of what was said has been said so many times before.
on 29 April 2013
Not a bad summary of the life and demands of writing. But I have to say, although I quite enjoyed reading it at the time, I really am not sure I learned anything - I realise that is subjective, but I think it tried to cover an awful lot of ground, and perhaps I am still out of breath and wondering what I was chasing.
on 6 July 2012
I downloaded this to my phone as a commuting read and it was perfect.
Great insight into being a writer with many different viewpoints all broken into easily digestible chunks perfect for trains, tubes and buses.
If you are interested in being a professional writer, or blogger this book will really help you understand what is involved and how to do it successfully from people who make a living at it.
on 5 January 2012
This book is composed of diverse articles by different authors, ensuring that you a number of diverse pitches on topics are all covered all the way through. It's a gem of a book, not least because I came away from reading this with the thought that if the writers within this book can do it? Why can't I? It's insporational, and a must read for every writer, in my humble opinion.
on 16 October 2011
It gave me some good advice but most of it is average stuff you can find elsewhere. worth the read though for the price.
on 19 May 2012
Well the name is odd:) but the book which is a kindle version, has articles by a number of different writers, and I do find that good, to get a different view of peoples take on writing. I would say this is defiantly worth reading. But there are better books out there if you only want to buy one on writing.
on 16 April 2013
This book has many contributors and I found it tedious. There are no tips you can actually use to your own advantage, as it seems to be a group of people telling you how many pitfalls there are to being an author. The writers talk about I, I, I, so much that they miss out anything interesting and helpful they might have said. There are much better books on the market.
on 20 April 2012
A lot of good articles to pick out and refer to more than others. A useful reference, but will largely depend on where you are in your career. Definitely worth a read.