on 14 November 2010
I'm still trying to get the hang of the Adventurer 2800 but overall I'm impressed with its capabilities. What does need some sorting out is the placing of the lanyard on the device and some more meaningful menus.
Firstly, when the lanyard is attached and hung around the neck, it's unreadable. Surely the lanyard connection should be at the bottom of the device, not at the top.
Secondly, it's taken me ages to actually get some idea of what to do. The instructions in the box were of no use to me and I had to download the manual and print it out.
There are some general things a user would want to do.
1. Tell me where I am. That is done my tapping on a padlock to "lock" your position. What was the designer taking from his drug dealer when he designed that?
2. Record where I have been. That seems to be done automatically as soon as the system is "locked". Again, not obvious.
3. Show me how far I've walked and other positional data. Here you have to go to a secondary menu, tap on Settings, GPS, Position. Why would such a popular option be hidden so far down the menu structure?
But, as I have said, it is a good piece of kit only let down by its implementation.
on 17 April 2011
My wife bought me this to replace a Mio P350 I had used for a few years but found it bedevilled with a short battery life. Primarily for use on the water I was disappointed to find the description of 'weatherproof' meant, just about anything, and if I wanted to use it on the water I should use a waterproof bag (seems a bit odd for a touch screen instrument!). Software has a very confusing interface and it's not intuitive to transfer maps across (much easier with the Mio) and in use its easy to lose tracks etc. etc. On the positive side battery life is longer, screen in bigger and brighter than the P350 and it's nice to look at, but the Mio buttons win every time for me.

As a user of Memorymap products for many years I was expecting much more with this product after seeing some good reviews, very disappointed. Would not recommend.
on 15 September 2010
What can I say, full map of the UK installed, reasonable price for what it is AND you can see where you are without having to consult your paper map. It also survived a three hour Borrowdale Valley downpour. Full marks all round.
on 13 May 2012
What people say about the user friendlyness of the 2800 is correct there's no proper instructions with it. But once you get past that its a great gps. Locks on in seconds the OS map is excellent. Working out how to download Geocaching info took a while but finally managed it( as i said not user friendly ). The best website i've found is [...] which has thousands of walks which download very easily. I would recomend this GPS but only if you tech minded.
on 18 June 2013
The GPS unit for its price and features is very competitive compared to the equivalent Garmin, etc. But there are several issues with the GPS unit and software.

There have not been any firmware updates for the unit since it was released and the unit crashes every so often requiring a reboot (turn it off and on again). The battery life is not very good (6-7 hours) and is not changeable (built into the unit). This is probably why they sell an aftermarket extended battery module (but using this means you cannot use the original belt clip or the bike mounts).

It does a good job of losing track data as it does not automatically save so if the batteries go flat or you just turn it off then you lose everything. The stylus pen is just on a piece of string and is not integrated into the unit, have to remember to take it with you, especially like me if you use it on your bike as well! The map does not auto rotate so you have to move the windows around to see where you are going, it does scroll the map if you lock the GPS.

The maps only come on a 4GB micro SD card which does not allow you to add to many extra maps. You are not able to transfer the maps to a bigger memory card as the cards are licenced and you cannot get the licence transferred. I wanted to get one 8GB card and put both my maps and SatNav software on but you cannot do this, so I have to swap the very small micro SD card over all of the time.

The SatNav software is expansive £100 for EU, which is not worth the money and you can get a good TomTom for £120 with EU maps.

The Software that comes with the unit for your PC does not have a particularly straight forward interface and it's not intuitive to transfer maps or routes across.

My GPS unit became faulty after 2 years (only comes with 1 year warranty) and no longer finds any satellites. I decided to pay to send it back only to be told it could not be repaired. They offered me a discounted price on a new unit (£130). Not sure whether to cut my losses and go for a more expensive Garmin!!!!
on 18 September 2010
Great gadget but not without faults:
If you buy the Adventurer with pre-loaded full Ordnance Survey Landranger 1:50,000 maps of Great Britain
The additional 10,000km Ordnance Survey Landranger 1:50,000 Digital Map Shop Map Credits are useless.
The stylus (which you will need) hangs loose on a bit of string.
Very basic instructions in the box. Limited help on the Memory-Map website. I had problems buying some new maps, I asked for help on the forum and was given no solution, and my request for help from the customer support went unanswered.
With time and a few headaches along the way i have to say I like my Adventurer 2800.
on 12 June 2011
I'm sure it's a great device and I can zoom in to where I am and see where I'm heading for but I would like to know how to use this thing properly. The instructions are very puzzling. If anyone who has mastered it would kindly give me some help that would be cool as the helpline doesn't respond.

West Sussex walker
on 20 June 2011
I think the other reviews have just about got it covered, but I'd like to re-iterate a couple of things.
1. The windows interface is not at all user friendly. Look at the user forum regarding the learning curve for this device.

2. This is a navigational device. Where do I navigate - in the hills, in Britain, where there is often substantial amount of rain. This device is NOT waterproof. I did see someone advising to wrap it in clingfilm. Why should anyone have to consider that.

So, it'll be ok if you're walking slowly and have a good memory for all the little taps you will need to make with the stylus.
And make sure you don't take it with you if there's a possibility of rain.
Almost a very good product, but fatally flawed.
on 19 December 2011
I love mine - it does just the job I want it to. however it's not at all intuitive and difficult to set up and the interface is not user friendly at all. can understand why people give up. but patience and perseverance pays off and now it does just what i want it to, more or less and am really pleased with it. Online discussion forum really useful in helping me figure it out. Battery life is the most annoying thing so if you're on a really long day you need to bear it in mind.
if they could sort out an easier to use version that feels like it hangs together better as a whole product and doesn;t have such tiny onscreen buttons then that will be really worth having.
on 22 February 2011
After only 15 months service the produced failed. The power on button came off somewhere on Exmoor. After a few problems Memorymap sent me a replacement button which I found impossible to fit.