5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Adaptation
Published on 6 Feb 2011 by V. Allonby

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel I have been conned
This DVD does not state that it is episode one only.On the front of the cover it states that it is 'As seen on the BBC' Did the BBC only show episode one. I am disgusted, having being left high and dry in the middle of the story.What it the point of only having one episode on the disc I would like my money b ack
Published 7 months ago by johnollie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Adaptation, 6 Feb 2011
V. Allonby - See all my reviews
This review is from: Small Island [DVD] (DVD)
I had just finished reading Andrea Levy's book when I watched this. So often when books are made into films too much of the story is removed or changed or the actors aren't how you imagined the characters in the book to look like or be. However, this was not the case with this adaptation. I was captivated at how everything I had imagined came to life. Excellent casting played by excellent actors. I would thoroughly recommend this DVD. It's a gripping tale of love, struggle and defiance in the face of adversity. Buy it, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Island, 9 July 2010
This review is from: Small Island [DVD] (DVD)
Small Island [DVD] [2010]This is an absolutely amazing story of how Jamaicans viewed Britain before the war, how they served in the military during the war and how they were treated as second class citizens during that conflict, and then when they started to migrate to UK after the war, again how they were treated as menial labour. Absolutely enthralling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Island, 22 Feb 2011
This review is from: Small Island [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great movie situated during the second world war. It deals with prejudice,love,forbidden love,joy, sacrifice and loss. It also shows what can be achieved if you have stong inner strength, faith and determination. The end is not what you expect and you are left with a feeling of great love, understanding, sorrow and inner peace. Well worth watching and all the actors are great in their roles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: Small Island [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the book and saw the series on BBC TV. It took a while and people like me to complain before it came out on DVD. I just had to have it. The cast is superb as is the story. See it and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent- One to watch, 21 Jun 2010
This review is from: Small Island [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant- I am not a great fan of period drama, but my daughter was watching this ( she is only 14 )and I was hooked. Really moving story. Great cast, believable storyline, quite thought provoking. Loved it 10/10

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel I have been conned, 19 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Small Island [DVD] (DVD)
Gripping story about the trials and tribulations of families in wartime London. A story that is easy to feel empathy and become engrossed in. A must watch for fans of wartime dramas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles, 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: Small Island [DVD] (DVD)
I regret there are no English subtitles on this DVD.
It is a film that leaves you reminiscing about the finer side of life.
G.Tremerie.Belgium

5.0 out of 5 stars Wartime Drama, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Small Island [DVD] (DVD)
A very good story and well presented along with a good cast. I give this a 5 star rating and well deserved. This is a sad, amusing and believable story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, funny and heartbreaking, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Small Island [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great film, set in Jamaica and England before and during WW2. There are great themes of love and loss, race, and individuals' search for happiness. I laughed, I cried, I was outraged, I swooned. I wouldn't watch it with my Mum due to a couple of instances of bad language and a sex scene or two, but nothing to shock the average 15+ viewer, I'm sure. Very well cast, especially Ruth Wilson (remember her in Jane Eyre) and Naomie Harris.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Small Island [DVD]
Small Island [DVD] by John Alexander (DVD - 2010)