on 10 October 2010
An excellent start to a new trilogy I enjoyed the characters, liked the perspective of the French Revolution from the main characters side and his mother was a surprising addition. All in all a very good read and the mystery of the missing brothers has already got me hooked I am waiting for book two to arrive any day now. I recc this book to anyone who likes their regency romances with a bit of backbone.
on 19 January 2014
Sarah is a governess working for Lord Northcott, but when her employer summons him to her study she finds a new career unfolding - as a spy.
I bought this book as the blurb appealed to me, but I was a little wary because the plot had the potential to be weighted down with angst. Happily, this was not the case. The author skilfully handled the storyline without it being cliched. Sarah turned out to be a pretty hopeless spy and was found out early on. She was refreshingly honest with Julien, and instead of trying to pull the wool over his eyes - owned up to what she was about. Phew! No angsty misunderstandings. The story could then move on in a believable way as a new threat to Sarah was revealed.
An enjoyable read with characters I was happy to spend time with. Not a 'wow' book but I'd happily read more by the same author.
VINE VOICEon 22 January 2012
This book is a lively, enjoyable read. The two main characters, Sarah and Julien, are likeable and the story is full of twists and turns. I do love a regency romance and this has a different slant from most with the spy storyline. There are some slightly unbelievable parts to the story but overall this is a fun read and I look forward to reading more by Shana Galen.