5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another brilliantly intriguing read from Edward St Aubyn
Why has it taken me so long to discover this author!

Having devoured the 'Patrick Melrose' books (back-to-front starting with 'At Last') I scoured the internet for more from Edward St Aubyn and found 'A Clue To The Exit'.

Published 24 months ago by Jude Skinner

2.0 out of 5 stars Most disappointing
Published 1 month ago by paul l smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another brilliantly intriguing read from Edward St Aubyn, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: A Clue to the Exit (Paperback)
Why has it taken me so long to discover this author!

To say too much would break the spell of his scintillatingly spare prose and storytelling. If you enjoy reflective, stream-of-consciousness writing underpinned by a firm, but almost throw-away, grasp of psychoanalytic concepts then this (and all his other writing) is for you.
As a recently retired psychoanalytic psychotherapist I'm hooked and can't wait for the next Edward St Aubyn title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rarity!!! Marble amongst the pebble dash of contemporary fiction., 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: A Clue to the Exit (Hardcover)
It's outrageous there's only one other review of this brilliant book. I'm compelled to write one, though English isn't my native language. Wake up readers, and do not overlook this one! Clue to the Exit is an intellectual yet playful and an extremely witty novel about the quest for the nature of consciousness. Can we exit ourselves to witness how our experiences enter and form us? "Where do thoughts come from when they 'pop-up' and where do they go when they disappear?" Most importantly, though: could facing what we fear most set us free of it? High stakes betting is nothing compared to the mental gambles undertaken in this short and eventful story. For those who loved the Melrose novels there is an extra (I hope obsolete) incentive: Partick is there! For those who enjoyed "On the Edge": Crystal and Jean Paul meet Patrick! Typically for St Aubyn, the sublime beauty of language together with the humour function as a pressure suit while the author takes us deeper and deeper into the inarticulate, fathomless oceans of our own minds, our own souls. A terrifying journey one needn't get cold feet about when we're so expertly cared for by St Aubyn's blissfully perfect and highly addictive prose.

2.0 out of 5 stars Most disappointing, 29 Oct 2014
This review is from: A Clue to the Exit (Paperback)
A considerable disappointment after the scintillating Patrick Melrose novels. Some splendid turns of phrase and clever prose (too clever by half in places perhaps) but rather formless. Some of the passages on consciousness are nigh on impenetrable, reading almost as if they have been lifted from a philosophy textbook, and at times I lost patience and couldn't convince myself it mattered. Despite the fact that it deals with the approach of death the book was hard to engage with at an emotional level. About the only consolation was that it was fairly brief and didn't take very long to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... this book 4 starts as even so I have loved it; I have enjoyed it slightly less than ..., 7 July 2014
This review is from: A Clue to the Exit (Kindle Edition)
First I wanted to give this book 4 starts as even so I have loved it ; I have enjoyed it slightly less than the other book by Edward ( I have only read 2 so far). I have changed my mind ato give 5 stars as this author is simply on different league to most of the others and to compare this book to what is available on the novel market ; it is up there at the very top ;it kind of needs different rating . It would be misleading to say that it is easy read; quite the opposite. I have decided to read only one chapter a day to digest properly its content . But there is a great reward for effort and lasting. This is going to be first book I am going to read second time ; somehow I get a feeling it will be worth it .

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the Patrick Melrose novels but avoid this, 2 July 2014
P. Greenwood "P Greenwood" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Clue to the Exit (Kindle Edition)
I loved the Patrick Melrose novels so much that this was a deep disappointment. It is basically a self-indulgent meditation on the nature of consciousness, which inevitably after going round in endless circles he concludes - spoiler alert - is unknowable. What an awful waste of time. And it is quite depressing too. But do do read the five Patrick Melrose novels - they are one of the best discoveries I have made in years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy read., 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Clue to the Exit (Kindle Edition)
The tortuous style is tedious, introspection in depth if you like that, I don't; sorry. But he is a very serious writer.

A Clue to the Exit