5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value, Fantastic TV!
Published on 5 Jun. 2010 by T. Young

3.0 out of 5 stars poor backlight interference
Firstly great service from Amazon, but im a little confused why i could not replace the unit only have a refund...oh well? My screen had very poor backlight bleeding on the left hand side. Almost like a 6" light band from the top to the bottom of the screen. No matter how much i altered the screen picture settings the band was still there. Especially visible on dark...
Published on 14 Mar. 2011 by R. Piggott

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value, Fantastic TV!, 5 Jun. 2010
T. Young "Know it all" (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG 42LD450 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with  Freeview (Electronics)
There's not a lot I can say about this TV. I have had many LCD TVs and this is by far the best one. It is like a fine German automobile. Well thought out and made with us, the consumer in mind. The picture quality is only beaten by TVs costing much, much more. The sound is actually really nice despite the speakers being hidden. I much prefer the speakers to be hidden for style, but I wasn't sure what to expect. If you're looking for a new TV and aren't quite sure which one to get, just pull the trigger on this one. Don't be fooled by the price, or the fancy high specs and latest and greatest. Technology companies will always try to tell us we need the latest and newest. There really is not that much difference between this TV and Sony's best and I challenge anyone to show me that there is. Save your money and buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value, 11 Sept. 2010
Paul T. (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
After a lightning strike fried my front room television I started looking around online for a replacement. This TV offered the features I wanted (42" screen, full 1080p HD) for a very reasonable price. I was a little dubious abut the amount of positive reviews for this television that I found while searching. The price was lower than almost all similar models, and I found myself wondering if the reviews were genuine. Well I assure you they are.

The TV is quite a new model and has a decent level of features for its price. Now, if you're a real technology enthusiast then you might be disappointed by the fact it only has 2 HDMI ports, or the lack of Ethernet connection. If so then I suggest you go for some other model. If however, like me you just want a great TV with a great picture, then let me assure you this is the TV for you. The picture is vivid and clear, even on non-HD pictures. HD pictures are, of course, excellent and the TV boasts full HD with 1080p horizontal resolution. All this for less than 500 (quite a bit less at the moment!).

Menus are good as I've come to expect from LG (third TV I've bought from them) and the sound quality is respectable for a TV with fairly small hidden speakers. Connectivity is again respectable. Digital sound output, the usual gamut of HDMI, component and old-school aerial-in connections, and a built in freeview tuner as you'd expect. The only downside is that (as far as I can see) the freeview tuner won't work with Freeview HD channels, but since I have Sky HD this isn't an issue. It also does something with USB drives which I admit I'll never use but might be worthwhile for some.

So, conclusions: If the only thing stopping you from buying this is a suspicion that all the 5-star reviews are fake then go ahead and buy it. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars hope it lasts longer than my samsung, 15 Nov. 2010
bought this t.v. after my samsung 32 inch lcd died on me after only 18 months having cost over 400.fancied something a little bigger this time and was looking at 37 inch but when i saw this for the money, 42 inch at only 425 and customer comments decided it was worth a punt.its a good picture, but not quite as good as the samsung,though the sound is a little better.only drawback is only one scart socket.a few weeks after my purchase i was talking to a t.v. engineer who smiled when i mentioned samsung but went on to say sony,panasonic and l.g. were the best t.v.s,but for the money l.g won hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for a an awesome price, 4 Aug. 2010
R. Raio (England) - See all my reviews
This is my very first Full HD TV and I am loving it! I only use it to play games and watch dvds and the video quality it's outstanding. The audio it's good, but I think it could be a bit better because it doesn't seem to give you much control to adjust all the sound settings.
Even watching normal DVDs you get a great quality (definitely better than DTV), but again playing games in HD it's amazing.
The only downside is the USB which doesn't let you play videos (only music and pictures), but it's not a big deal since I have my Xbox 360 and I can use that to play my videos.
I will definitely reccomend this TV to anyone, and I am thinking of getting a blu-ray dvd player which I am sure will let me enjoy this great TV even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabtastic TV, 21 May 2010
After much umming and ahhing over which TV to get, we finally settled on this one, and we are not disappointed. The picture quality is amazing, it's easy to set up, we don't have surround sound, and the sound is great without it. I really would recommend this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Problems are so remote....., 21 July 2010
I really worried that paying the price I did would mean that I was ultimately disappointed with this TV. From opening the box to actually getting this working took less that 10 mins and was easy. I have to say I am delighted with the whole package. I had dithered about buying a home cinema but in my flat you definately don't need it as the sound is really good for this with only a small amount of distortion at the very loudest volumes. I was somewhat surprised that there was no Sky Remote code for this but to be honest I chose the nearest model (Code 0206 if you're looking) and it is working fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an absolute Winner!! LG 42" LCD, 14 Oct. 2010
Bought this item just 1 month ago after reading reviews and specs from other purchasers - a great way of choosing from so many TVs out there. Wow! This is a great TV. Compared to my old 32" Goodmans which ceased to function, the features are endless and the ease of setup is just amazing.
That goes for the actual picture too! Unbeatable clarity for a 42" in my small lounge and sound control is just great.
It is just is so intuitive to use the controls I didn't even have to read the instructions so I suppose there are loads more things I haven't discovered yet!
For a TV around the 400 mark there's not much out there to beat this for its size.
The only "grumble" has to be the facility of only one SCART socket on the back but I knew that when I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with this TV, 8 July 2010
Paul Doust (UK) - See all my reviews
After moving house my (not so old) Toshiba 32" looked a bit small in the corner of the lounge so i took the plunge and went for a 42" LG. All i can say is that in comparison this LG knocks spots of the Toshiba. The sound quality is excellent the picture especially on HD is superb and installing it took a matter of minutes. All this combined with the good price and excellent delivery from Amazon made it the best money i've spent recently. If you're after an excellent TV at a reasonable price then you really can't go wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed with the LG, 30 Jun. 2010
Martin Boika (UK) - See all my reviews
Upgraded from a Philips 32" 720P (HD Ready) to this Full HD 42" LG for the world cup. If you just want a great HD picture and sound without all the bells and whistles then this is a great choice. Both HD and SD pictures are excellent and the built in sound is fine, we dont need to use seperate sound system. For this price it cant be beaten. I looked at the Samsungs and the Sonys when making my choice and this came out out top in quality and features over price. Thanks LG and Amazon for the great service

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent HD TV, 31 Dec. 2010
I ordered this TV on December 21st with free super saver delivery. It arrived on December 23rd, and I must say I love it.

First though, a word of warning. 42" is massive, and you need a large living room to accommodate it. Bear this in mind when purchasing. Also, think about where the TV will sit in its intended room, and how far you will be away from the screen when viewing. In our front room, we sit around 7-8 feet away. This is quite close for a TV of this size, and sitting this distance away from the screen exposes flaws in standard definition media. Standard def Sky connected through the SCART cable looks blocky (although this may improve when the HDMI cable finally shows up), as does the Wii through the SCART connection.

However, anything played in HD on this TV is nothing short of astounding. PS3 games look absolutely incredible, as do properly mastered Blu-Ray films. I watched the extended edition of Avatar on this TV and it blew me away; the clarity and detail were extraordinary. I watched Avatar in 3D at the cinema, and I actually enjoyed it more at home on this TV.

The sound quality on this TV is better than some I've heard, and is sufficient for regular TV viewing. Obviously, to truly appreciate HD sound you need powerful external speakers. The picture quality out of the box is good, but with the easy to use picture wizard, you can set it up professionally according to your preference and the conditions, adjusting the black level, backlight, colour brightness and several other settings with ease, to produce a crisp HD picture.

All in all, a fantastic TV. And for less than 400 you really can't go wrong. I've seen TV's in shops costing 600+ that don't produce a picture as sharp as this. One or two minor flaws (standard def doesn't look great when sat close, and could do with another HDMI port or two) but the pros more than outweigh the cons, and this is definitely a 5* TV.