5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive linguistic study of the cross
Published on 27 Feb. 1999

Published 12 months ago by Keith Plant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive linguistic study of the cross, 27 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
This is one of the best studies of the cross in the twentieth century. It is not a comprehensive theological study of the cross. Instead, Morris focuses on words such as redemption, propitiation, and reconciliation. Like most academic books, it is difficult to read and tedious at times. It presupposes a working knowledge of Hebrew and Greek. But working through this book will greatly enrich your understanding of the cross. The sections on propitiation are worth the price of the book. These sections are the definitive conservative critique of C. H. Dodd's position that hilaskomai referred only to expiation

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure Leon Morris has written books that are easier to understand., 19 Mar. 2014
I'm sure Leon Morris has written books that are easier to understand, but this is not one of them. I have read a fair bit of this for the module I was doing on Pauline theology with the finest of all theological colleges WEST. I have reviewed one of the other core texts I had to read on Amazon already and this is only marginally easier to understand than that. I have used a few Leon Morris's commentaries in the past and are generally found them much easier to read. I understand the theological jargon but it does make hard work of the study. Not as bad as some, but not particularly easy either. No doubt there are people out there who get much out of it, but I found it hard work. I still believe that good theology does not have to be complicated and can be laid out in a plain and easy to read and understand manner!

Apostolic Preaching of the Cross