5.0 out of 5 stars 550D The best yet
Put simply this is the most important camera to be released in years.

What I find astonishing that people have spent 750 on a DSLR as good as this and complain about the video issues. I work in TV and deal with professional cameras and footage for broadcast on a daily basis and I can tell you with every bit of my professional opinion that this camera is...
Published on 21 Mar 2010 by E. A. Haselden

3.0 out of 5 stars AF failure
Published 14 months ago by CS

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My new camera....cooo!, 21 May 2010
S. D. O'Flynn "Errol" (St Ives, Cambs,UK) - See all my reviews
I had tentatively considered buying a DSLR camera and had spent several months wondering which one it might be. Canon seemed the obvious choice, after recommendations from everyone I know with any experience on this subject. I'd pored over the manufacturers specifications and had thought the 450d seemed ideal, but then noticed the 500d looked more capable for comparatively little extra cost. Just as I thought I'd made up my mind, the 550d came onto the market, with newer processor, far higher mega-pixel rate and capable of taking HD quality video AND for very little more than the 500d. The problem was that delivery would be 1-3 months down the line and I really wanted to get hold of it before my holiday, so I ordered it right then (Sunday night). On the Tuesday I received an e-mail saying that delivery would be sooner than expected and then Friday morning it was delivered. I only spent the briefest time studying the instructions before I was off and using it, so the basic functions at least are simple enough (here I'd like to point out that despite the spec stating that battery and charger wouldn't be included, I was pleased to see that they in fact were and following a quick run down to Tesco for a decent quality SD card, I was in business). The pictures I've taken so far have been surprisingly good, which is more a testiment to the wizardry in the processor and the 18-55mm IS lense than my amateur fumblings. In time I hope to learn how to use more of this superb piece of kit's capabilities and progress onto shooting in RAW. I've added a 55-250mm IS lense for those long range shots and results so far have been very pleasing, so if anyone were to ask me if this was an idiot-proof camera, I'd have to say that it is at the very least idiot compatible and I suspect very capable of much higher things; time will tell no doubt! In the meantime, I'm enjoying learning to use the camera. I'd conclude that this is a superb piece of kit and good value for what it is. Am I pleased with it....... I'd say delighted would be a better description.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!! Simply brillaint.., 7 Sep 2010
The Canon 550D is a fantastic camera.. It is everything they advertised it to be and more. The body is really lightweight, has a good grip and balance making it a lot easier to use. The images are sharp, crisp and bright. Its definitely better than the Nikon D90 in comparison. The 1080p Full HD video capture along with its wide array of features such as choice of frame rates, 3.5mm stereo microphone, the APS-C CMOS sensor etc..etc.. the puts the camera in an entirely different league altogether. Move over entry-level, hello Semi-professional..

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb!, 14 Nov 2010
I obtained my 550D as a replacement for my 300D which was stolen. I originally was interested in the 500D, but decided that whilst I might not use many of the additional features, I would probably in time regret not having them, and so I plumped for the 550D.

It was an excellent decision. The camera fits beautifully to the hand, and though it is on paper quite heavy, it does not seem so in use. To begin with the array of knobs and dials looks quite intimidating, but it is easily possible to begin one's acquaintance with the camera by simply using the point-and-shoot mode, and by experimenting later with the other facilities as one's confidence grows. The large LCD screen gives a very clear image and it is easily possible to assess any photograph taken on-screen. The only snag I have discovered so far is that the very large image size - 7mb plus - means that shots tend to load rather slowly into a printer, but the quality of the result is more than worth the wait.

This camera is ideally suited for a newcomer to digital photography - point-and-shoot mode - and has enough facilities built in to satisfy all but the most demanding professional: I can thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASS 6 OR ABOVE SD CARD, 2 Nov 2010
C. Smith - See all my reviews
Great camera. You can read reviews all over the net which agree, so no need to reiterate them.

However, If you want to record full HD video, don't buy the SanDisk Class 4 SD card that Amazon seem to recommend on route to the checkout. You MUST use a Class 6 or above otherwise the buffer fills up and it stops recording. The Class 10 Transcend card is the same price as the Class 4 SanDisk.

Enjoy!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars AF failure, 20 Feb 2013
Lovely camera which takes beautiful photographs but sadly I have had to return it. I bought it originally in July 2012 but had persistent and worsening problems with large grey pixelated areas in my photographs, particularly in poor lighting. I returned the camera and Amazon promptly sent out a new one with which I had no further problems until January when the autofocus on the 18-55mm kit lense suddenly, and completely, failed. As I had already had a replacement Amazon is now only able to refund me. I am disappointed that I have had two problems in what was otherwise an impressive camera. I am sorry to lose the camera but have also lost some confidence in Canon whose cameras I have used exclusively for over 10 years with no previous problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best investment yet, 22 July 2011
I'm an amateur film-maker and the 550d has been my best investment yet.
I've had lots of experience with DSLR cameras in the past so I was quite at home with the interface, manual controls cover the usual exposure features (ISO, shutter speed and aperture), there's full control of white balance with a "custom" feature which is very useful with fine tuning your colours. The 550d can record in PAL or NTSC with full 1080p HD, 720p and 540 SD quality with a variety of fps rates. There are two new features which I haven't seen before, which are Picture style and auto lighting optimiser, both are useful when calibrating a shot to your taste. The LP-E8 battery supplied is brilliant, I've never found myself needing to charge (although I've charged it when I have nothing better to do). I've used this camera every day since I bought it just under a week ago, I've made 6 short films and I've loved every second of using it. The kit lens supplied isn't the best quality but it does the job well, I have two other more expensive lenses (sigma 20-40mm and 70-200mm) from my previous DSLR. The internal flash is surprisingly good, set high to illuminate the whole of the photo's frame. The movie zoom function is SIGNIFICANTLY useful when finding a good focus length to film at. The internal mic isn't amazing, but a lot of the films I've made don't involve much recorded sound. I have an external mic (ZOOM H2) for recording sound, which I can hook up to my camera to record along to the video I film.

I've made this review because whilst convincing my parents to approve of my purchase, I found very few satisfying reviews which talked about the video function on the 550d, so I hope that any aspiring film-makers will see this and get peace of mind when buying.
Another thing to consider is that I rarely make reviews for products that I buy on amazon, partially because of the effort involved and partly because the product isn't outstanding. If I make a review of it, it has to be good! So go, buy this camera!

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Value, 2 Jun 2011
As most people know the EOS 550D has been replaced by the 600D in early 2011. As a result prices of the outgoing model have been plunging. I had set my heart on a 550D and followed on Amazon over the last few months. At one point costs dropped to 558 for the 550D with the 18-55 kit lens. What an absolute bargain. I used the camera to film my daughter competing in show jumping events. The full HD 1080 video is amazing. I love the fact that you can manually over-ride all the auto settings. The only downer is that there is no manual control of audio levels and there is no headphone socket so you can't monitor audio. There again this is a DSLR not a video camera so can't really complain. Used as a camera to shoot stills the results are fab. Even the plasticky kit lens functions perfectly well. I have a list of things I want to add over time when funds allow (!) and the F1.8 55mm lens looks like a brilliant buy as does the 55-250 lens. Seriously though whilst you can get one of these for under 600 frankly I can't see anything else that comes close.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first step on a long journey, maybe the only step: Canon 550D, 31 May 2011
HP (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The title sums up this review very well. This was my first ever DSLR camera and prior to this purchase I had no idea what an "aperture" was and what the "ISO" was or how metering worked. This camera revolutionized my way in which photography is viewed.

BUILD QUALITY:
Pretty good, you won't expect magnesium alloy build at this price. It's made of a pretty tough polycarbonate plastic that will be able to take its fair share of knocks. The lens mount is metal and the LCD screen glass, so it's a fair weight, nothing too heavy.

PICTURE QUALITY:
Very very very good for the price. It's price quality surpasses that of the "Daddy" Canon 7D at all ISO ranges (light sensitivity for beginners). It has 18 megapixels which is more than enough and pictures appear very sharp at low ISOs with a good lens.

FEATURES:
A good array of features which will interest the beginner. You can easily just shoot in Full Auto and not have to worry about the complex aspects of photography. You can set the ISO from Auto to 6400 with a H option (12 800) also available. The aperture can be changed like all DSLRS to adjust depth of field and to composite for low lighting conditions. The shutter speed can be also changed like all DSLRS from around 20 seconds to 1/4000, to allow you to freeze motion or blur it depending on the effect required. Metering can also be changed to allow spot metering, evaluative or centre metering. This means you can vary exposure depending on your scene.
Full 1080p recording is also available in various frame rates, 720p and standard definition can also be recorded. There are also specific modes for Portraits, Landscapes and Night shots so the camera is better prepared to adjust the Aperture or Shutter Speed if you are not sure.

PRICE:
It's a steal. No wonder it's one of the most wished for items on Amazon and one of the most sold items in electronics on Amazon. At 500 you will NOT FIND A BETTER CAMERA body, add 200-300 for a decent lens and you have a perfect kit to last you a lifetime (not to forget the little things like SD cards/ camera bag/ filters).

OVERALL:

Wow, I think canon regret making this camera. I'm sure it's affecting the sale of it's other lower level DSLRs, if I ever do get another camera It'll be the 5D Mark II, nothing inbetween can seriously outcompete this little gem of a camera.

This might be the only step on my photography journey. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Impressed!!, 6 April 2011
In the past I've only really taken snaps....when I got home from a holiday to Bali I was disappointed with the photos - they were OK. I started looking through old photos and realised they are my history, my family and friends,celebrations, memories, faces of loved ones, happy times and me throughout the years. A friend of mine often posted photos onto Facebook and they were sensational and looked like professional photos. The Canon EOS 550D was recommended, I read the reviews on here and the next day the camera arrived. The first outing was dog walking to Ashridge - just reading the basics I took 65 shots - and I have to say for a novice they are fantastic, some stunning. I'm working throught the instuctions slowly and taking shots as I learn each section and it just gets better. Well worth every penny it's not just a camera it's going to be my life in pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 29 Mar 2011
I spent a month of my life reading reviews, watching youtube reviews and going into camera shops to try out cameras.

I started looking at the bridge cameras then finally narrowed it down to a Nikon 3100 or the 550d, its was just the jump in price that made me apprehensive until finally I made the leap and ordered the 550.

All I can say is WOW, its awesome, still only using kit lens and the pics are awesome, I can see how people used to using high end cameras might split hairs but if you are coming from a normal digital then you will be blown away.

More importantly your pictures will blow your family and friends away, we viewed some recently on a large lcd tv and they looked amazing.

If you are debating spending the extra and can afford it even at a stretch then just do it you wont be disappointed. I sacrificed a new bag and lens so I could afford the camera and am making do with my old college bag for now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›