Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 20 September 2007
What a great book! I've been looking for a basic Japanese cookbook and this really delivers. It teaches not only the fundamentals of sushi making (and no, it's not all raw fish), but also gives great recipes for cooked dishes, rice and noodle dishes. It really is food you could serve to anyone. If you want to challenge yourself to proper sushi making, the step by step instructions are a godsend. The book itself is beautiful and colourful and I found it really encouraging and fun. I love the restaurants, and this book doesn't disappoint.
on 2 February 2009
Bought this book for my eldest son who has recntly left home and is therefore new to cooking. He thinks this book is great, easy recipes and easy to get (most) ingredients. Good recommendation as he has visited Japan and is not easily impressed!
on 8 January 2010
This was purchased as a gift for my "can't cook,won't cook" daughter. She says it is "brilliant" and she has now got the cookery bug. Her family agree that she is cooking fantastic dishes. A wonderful buy!
on 11 March 2013
I bought this book as a present for my partner who absolutely loves Yo! Sushi. Unfortunately we don't live near a Yo! Sushi restaurant so I thought we could try to make some of the recipes at home. We had such a lot of fun making the ISO rolls. The spicy chicken ISO rolls tasted EXACTLY like the restaurant ones, though they certainly didn't look very good (I need some serious practice rolling sushi!) The sushi rice recipe was easy to follow and all of the steps are very straightforward. The biggest issue I think is that it is a bit time-consuming but I expected that when making sushi - it's not something I'd do every day. We also found that we had to follow the instructions by the letter to ensure we got the best results - it was really worth buying all of the suggested ingredients and not taking any shortcuts.

The great thing about this book is it isn't just sushi recipes, and I'm looking forward to trying some of the noodle dishes which we would be able to make more often. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
on 4 July 2009
I really like this book. The layout is great and easy to follow, the recipes are lovely, and I think it's great that there are sections for beginners, intermediates, and advanced cooks :)
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2010
The Yo Sushi Cookbook is 192 pages of very clearly laid out recipes that are beautifully photographed and presented. The book is split into 5 sections; `The Basics' covers the basic ingredients and techniques such as how to cook rice, choose fish and make hand rolls. Sauces, Dressings and Marinades consist of easy to follow instructions on how to make all manner of sauces. The next three sections are around 50 pages each and are for Easy (Novice), Intermediate (Apprentice) and Advances (Samurai) dishes.

The Yo Sushi Cookbook is printed on very high quality paper, is brightly coloured and quite simply a pleasure just to open, it would make a great gift. The ingredients are all easily come by; I picked them all up at my local supermarket. Of course it is a popular misconception that Sushi is essentially raw fish, this not the case (that would be Sashimi), this book contains fish, chicken and steak dishes in roughly equal numbers. There are even several vegetarian dishes.

I have to admit to a slight bias here, I love Japan, the Japanese people, their culture and of course their cooking. This is an excellent book and is great fun to experiment with. The dishes are a somewhat westernised version of Japanese food (There are no squid dishes in it and Japanese do eat a lot of squid), but that's probably all to the good. I really can highly recommend it. Why not impress your friends by having a Japanese themed evening? Douzo omeshiagari kudasai.
on 29 October 2015
Bought this book as a gift, flicked through and noticed the same page twice so I checked all the pages. There are pages missing and other pages are in twice and not in order. Very unhappy.
review image
'Yo Sushi' is a wonderful book showing the techniques and method of Japanese cooking. It is clear to cook from and the direction and explanations are excellent. There is a brief introduction to Sushi and Japanese cooking and the terms used etc and then it's on to the recipes, which covers some from the restaurants and a few additional ones for this book. This book gradually increases in difficulty as you progress through the recipes and by the end you should be a fairly competent home sushi cook. This is beautifully illustrated with mouth watering photography and the overall design and format is very pleasing on the eye. If you like Sushi and always fancied giving it a try then this is the place to start and before long you'll be creating your own mini masterpieces to delight in and enjoy.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 23 March 2010
I just bought this book after searching around for a book to bring Japanese cuisine into my family home. It stood out amongst others as it was so bright and wonderfully laid out.

The instructions are very clear, and most of the ingredients can be sourced quite easily. No-nonsense instructions make this book very easy to follow, and it is also sectioned so that the recipes get gradually harder as you progress through the book, which is good for anyone new to cooking.

Just before writing this review, I cooked a recipe from this book for my family evening meal: Sesame chicken with soba noodles... it was delicious, and not a scrap was left, even by my two young sons!!!

I can't recommend this book enough, and certainly can't wait to work my way through the rest of this fantastic and fun cookbook!
on 22 July 2008
I love going to Yo! Sushi when on site with work, trouble is at home the nearest restaurant is over an hour away. This book allows me to recreate the delicious food. It has to be said my efforts are not up to the standard of the chef's but if you get fresh ingredients they taste, if not look, great.

As for the book - not only is it informative and easy to read, it is also a work of art in itself, the photography and general layout and appearance make it an ideal coffee table book for the occasional read. Trouble is every time I do that I end up hungry!

Great book, great food, now where is my rice cooker I'm hungry