on 30 January 2014
These Minox binoculars are compact, light and are a pleasure to hold (very comfortable and well balanced in your hands). They are sharp, very bright for the 25 mm objective size and the image stays in focus to a surprisingly wide degree over the field of view, or width of view. The depth of focus is good too. The optics cope well on cloudy overcast days; the first time I used them was in the Highlands of Scotland. On the pair I received the focus was smooth, quick and precise. For those who wear glasses there is also good eye relief, meaning that you can see the entire width of view with your glasses on. The neck strap is additionally very comfortable. Minox offer a 30 year warranty on parts - should you be unlucky - called Comfort Service, if you register on-line (check first that it hasn't changed). Overall very good value.
on 14 May 2014
I wanted a light weight, waterproof 8x25 for a walking holiday in Cornwall. I am particularly picky when it comes to binoculars. These surprised me in the quality of lenses which give a bright sharp image with good depth of field in focus. They were not quite as light as the manufacturer made out (supposedly under 300 gms., but were close to the Amazon declared weight of 304 gms. Mine were 314 gms.
The one niggle is the fine adjustment knurl which is on the right eye. It is very stiff to turn and hard to find when holding the binoculars against the eye. I had to keep taking them down to find it. I am use to having this fine adjustment on the left eye, as my right eye is dominant and it is anoying to try and focus with my left eye, while adjusting the right.
I compared these binoculars with the Steiner Safari 10x26 binoculars. The Stiener just has the edge for sharpness of image and ease of focusing. However, the Minox is slightly better for light transmission and low light conditions. Also, the Minox BV is waterproofed to 5 metres and nitrogen purged, so will not fog up in wet humid conditions. Whereas, the Steiner just says its waterproof but not nitrogen purged. As The Minox is considerably cheaper, it won my vote.
on 27 July 2015
Prompt delivery. Good price, Looked good quality. HOWEVER, I could not get them to focus clearly. In one eyepiece, the image always looked 'smeared'. There was also a suspicion of double image. I bought them as a light pair to use when I am carrying a heavy DSLR. I have use binoculars for 50 years. I have 8x42s that I normally use, and expected these to be at least usable. Sadly not. Returned this morning.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2013
Very well made and excellent optics - very sharp image and crisp focusing. The image brightness is also very good indeed for a 25mm objective.
on 18 February 2015
Bought these to keep in the car. Decided they are too good to just be left in the car for occasional use. My 8x22 Steiners are now in the car!
on 2 February 2016
Amazing, use them for horse racing, amateur bird watching and country pursuits. Steady in one hand. Great all rounders