4.0 out of 5 stars rap....why???
Published on 19 May 2010 by michobid

2.0 out of 5 stars Another big review about a little album!
Published on 31 May 2010 by Matt182

2.0 out of 5 stars Another big review about a little album!, 31 May 2010
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
First of all we need to consider that this is an EP not an album. It's something which has been released in the middle of what Keane was and what they are going to become by the next album. It's a snippet caught in between. These songs were created while Keane were on tour promoting their Perfect symmetry album, and that is definitely why these songs have that particular and somewhat similar sound. Keane made a big departure from their trademark sound when they released Perfect symmetry citing that it was a `fresh approach' and really changing their piano based style. I am really not a fan of what they have done with their new creative direction and love the old style that Keane perfected and the songs were written so well. Perfect symmetry, although weak in some parts, although I don't like to admit; had some pretty good tracks like Perfect symmetry and You haven't told me anything. The songs were a big departure in terms of primary style but still held that Keane feeling and were interesting songs. Some of the other songs were very weak and were 80's knockoffs that really didn't live up to a decent 80's sound, even if that is what they were trying. Keane dismissed Andy Green's production on Perfect symmetry and did it themselves, and this album follows a similar trend with no input from Andy Green and Tim producing the tracks (with a little help). It's clear that the production style of old isn't what they are looking for in their current sound.

I didn't have high hopes for this album and wasn't really expecting much, especially after Perfect symmetry and knowing that this was an EP. The album received little if no promotion and I only discovered it by visiting Wikipedia one day, and then checking the video for Stop for a minute out. I wasn't impressed by that song on my first listen in the slightest but it has later grown on me due to its catchy chorus. The video also continues the approach of not using any other band members accept for Tom in the video. I also was a little uneasy about them actually putting a rapper in the music. I was very surprised when the album went to number 1 on its first week of release, and bought it on the 2nd week. The album was recorded in 7 different studios around the world, which must coincide with their touring schedule, and why they didn't just record it in a couple of studios like they did with their last albums.

I am not impressed with the album as a whole. The style is just not what I want out of the band and even when I'm liking the selected songs I have to try and put out of mind that this is Keane; the same band that once sung the amazing Crystal ball and hit the charts with early songs Somewhere only we know and Bedshaped - piano brilliance. Although Tom's voice sounds much better on this album than on the first, the songs do not (as another reviewer has said) give him the chance to showcase his amazing vocal range and talent. On the last album I think he sounded so poor vocally because he had just got over his cocaine addiction and it had obviously interfered with his voice. This time his voice has recovered a lot but he doesn`t sound near as good as on the first two albums. K'naan is a guy who I had never heard of before and was really sceptical about them including rapping on their songs. He is only featured on two songs so does not take up the whole album. Not long after buying the album I saw his video on a music channel for Wave your flag with Will I am.

The first song House lights is just an instrumental (if you can call it that) filled with keyboards and distorted sounds, as well as primitive drumming, Back in time is another keyboard driven song similar to the Perfect symmetry sound. It's full of synthesizers and has a good sounding chorus. Stop for a minute although being one of the better sounding isn't anything special. The verses are quite bland with K'naan rapping in the bridge. The only thing that really grabs you is the catchy chorus. Clear skies features acoustic guitar and clapping and has a cooler, slower sound but is a nice song. Ishnin Denshin is clearly the worst song on the album. A lot of the verse is sung in French by a woman. It's got this really cheesy synthesized sound. This is as far away from the Keane sound that we have got to know as possible. Your love has a good bass to it but Tom's voice sounds strange on it. It's okay sounding but not their best moment here. The best song on the album is Looking back, good verses, a great chorus, a Rocky backdrop riff and this is the closest that they have got to their old sound with the piano carrying the song. K'naan features on the bridge and references Rocky. The last song is the longest and overly long in that it repeats itself and is dragged out but is the second piano based song and is the other song which is similar to their old sound. It's a slow song but is definitely reminiscent of a song which would fit into Hopes and fears.

When the band gets back to the older piano song they get back to it closer than they have done before since Under the iron sea but when the band go to that keyboard/synthesizer sound, they stray away as much further from their old trademark sound than anything on Perfect symmetry. Let's hope that the last 2 songs are an indication that the band is reverting back to that style because when they do it is pretty impressive.

4.0 out of 5 stars rap....why???, 19 May 2010
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
i love keane and have seen them live several times thought, all the other albums were fantastic.this has two or three real gems on it too....but why the rapping its been done too many times before by other more inferior groups than keane and its just a bit old hat, song no.7 on night train, looking back could have been a classic if not for the drivel that is knaan rapping in it.all that said it is still a must buy for all keane fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars If Your're A Keane Fan - Don't Expect Too Much !!, 29 May 2010
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
When I hear of an artist releasing an 'EP', I'm always sceptical. 'EP' to me is like the band saying 'I don't have enough good songs for a new album, and I have a few leftovers from the last, so lets put out an EP as a filler'. But, then I heard the fantastic 'Stop For A Minute' and thought 'WOW, I need to get my hands on this!! Being a fan, I had all else that they offered and thought that this could offer some redemption for the mediocre 'Perfect Symmetry' album. Sadly and disapointedly I have to say that they should have released 'Stop For A Minute' as a stand alone single. It's a great song that deserved to sit alongside others of that quality, but the EP fails to hit the standards set on 'Hope & Fears' or 'The Iron Sea' and their ventures into the world of rap just don't work. Two Stars for the 'Stop For A Minute' single only.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so Keane!, 14 Jun 2010
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
I love Keane and have all their albums, all of which I really love. This is a good EP, particularly love the songs "Back in Time" and "Looking Back". However, not being a huge fan of rap, I am disappointed that Keane have decided to go down this route. I also found some of the spoken rapping/lyrics by K'naan on these 2 tracks a little silly and pointless - i.e. something about "mixing milk with lime(!?)", "tears going back into my eyes and then I die" etc etc. If the words made some sort of sense it would have been better, as they are, I just think they seem unnecessary and have obviously just been written cos all the words rhyme with each other. It almost like Keane have given up and passed the buck onto other people to help them out! I don't think Keane need to colaborate with anyone else on their songs, as they are a great band in their own right and hope this is not going to be the start of things to come. Hope they bring another new album out soon (on their own)! I would recommend this EP/album as easy listening, but its not a patch on Hopes and Fears or Under the Iron Sea.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, 29 May 2010
Murph (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
Despite being a Keane fan, I must admit that I am quite disappointed with this EP. It is nowhere near as good as the ''Hopes & Fears'' or ''Perfect Symetry'' albums.
There is even a song that starts off like the theme tune to the ''Rocky'' films...........Well dodgy! I am also not keen (or should that be Keane)on the tracks that feature other artists especially rap artists.
For the next Album I hope that Keane go back to their old school ways. Fingers crossed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing change of direction, 17 May 2010
C. A. Bartram "bartdch" (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
This is pretty uninspiring stuff and will come as a great disappointment to many of their legions of fans.
Sadly the band seem to have lost their way somewhere between the plinky synths of the '80's and
perfunctory rap passages that are almost cringeworthy!
The biggest cause for concern is that the songs just don't compare to the earlier albums, and are not
a showcase for Tom Chaplin's soaring vocal abilities.
I can't help thinking that some of these tracks were songs that didn't quite make the Perfect Symmetry album.
Come on Keane you are capable of far better than this!

4.0 out of 5 stars My Boys Are Back, 15 May 2010
Maria Stephanie (Indonesia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
I've been a huge fan of Keane since the release of their second album "Under The Iron Sea". 3 albums (+1 "mini album/EP") in, and I'm still pretty much in love with them. The recently released Night Train EP is just as brilliant as their previous works.

I'll start with the songs I really really like:
1. Your Love - This has got to be THE BEST song of the EP. Tim's vocal, the music in general and the lyrics, all of them are perfect!
2. Stop For A Minute - I noticed that a lot of people don't enjoy the rap in this song. I myself am not a hip & hop fan, but I find the rap in SFAM not bad at all! Definitely a keeper.
3. Clear Skies - This song reminds me of the pre-Hopes & Fears Keane (when they were still a 4 piece "proper" rock band with guitar and bass). Definitely different from Keane's "signature" sound, but not less enjoyable.
4. My Shadow - Not a new song, heard it before. It has a great cinematic feel to it. Quintessentially Keane.

The "in betweener" (I don't really like it, but I don't dislike it either)
5. Looking Back - I don't find it special. Plus, the Rocky-esque hornline sounds kind of awkward to me.

The songs I don't like:
6. Back In Time - Apparently a fan favourite, but I'm sorry to say that I don't like the grating synth intro.
7. Ishin Denshin - IMO this is a result of them trying too hard.

8. House Lights - Not a proper song, so no comments.

Overall, I'm happy with way the EP turns out. Keane are brave enough to experiment with new sounds, regardless whether they succeed in it or not. And I applaud them for that.

1.0 out of 5 stars End of the gravy train., 13 Sep 2010
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
Well thats it, end of the line for me and keane.They have ran out of steam on this one.It's been a nice journey.With hopes and fears.But this one is well off track.This train wreck will put a lot of Keane travellers off buying tickets for their next tour.Thank you Keane for taking me to great places.So quite sad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Night Train - Keane, 4 Oct 2011
Jon Hickson (Leicester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
Night Train is a cross threaded bolt dipped in Marmite, I won't bore you with the obvious cliche. Keane have sidetracked with this material trying new ideas and have not delivered perhaps what we really wanted which is the philosophy of Hopes and Fears re-worked with new direction and maturity. The wonderful Brian Wilson influenced "Sunshine" from that album perhaps setting the scene for a fresh approach. Night Train has run into a tunnel and the lights are out...sorry!

Perhaps their best is yet to come.....

3.0 out of 5 stars a weak album, 13 Jun 2010
S. Bowron (Hampshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
Have been a big fan of Keane over the recent years but am quite disappointed with this album. It's not up to their usual standard and I'm hard pressed to pick a favourite track on this rather short offering.

Night Train