5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I read Brother Tim's review and got the new model.
Almost bought the 'old' model at the same price until I read reviews, the new version is great and appears to have incorporated all the points raised by reviewers of the original model.

Published on 9 May 2010 by Tom Parker

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio - but a few disappointments
I did a thorough review of all the portable digital radios on the market - their pros and cons - as I wanted to be able to listen to DAB outside whilst camping or working in the garden. I eventually chose this DAB Solar 2, mainly because of the Roberts' reputation for quality but added fun of it being solar too!.
After inserting the rechargeable batteries and...
Published on 27 Aug. 2012 by Lévon

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I read Brother Tim's review and got the new model., 9 May 2010
Tom Parker (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Black (Electronics)

Overall quality is excellent, it is simple to use, sounds great and provides almost complete flexibility as regards power supply. Battery life is exceptional, even on cloudy days or indoors when the solar panel cannot operate to full potential.

This is a replacement for our existing 'portable' DAB radio which lasts an average of six hours using six 'D' batteries.

You may think the price is a bit steep, but I am going to save a small fortune in batteries alone.

UPDATE: 15 Feb 2011.

Still like new and going strong, buying quality really pays off.
Last summer solar power kept it going with minimal mains charging.
During the winter we've used in in the conservatory mainly on mains,
but the solar capabilty came into its own when we had powercuts.
Cannot recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Roberts radio is the best!, 22 Aug. 2010
Demetrakis Demetriou "DD" (Ilford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Black (Electronics)
I bought a wind-up radio that cost about £20 and it was a total waste of money. Wind-up radios are a nice idea but the effort to wind-up every few minutes means you can never really just enjoy listening. Even if you have strong arms it is still a bit too much work to wind enough to give you 20 minutes...which I never managed even once to achieve. Additionally, the sound fades very qickly on a wind-up radio and I stopped using mine very soon after I'd bought it. I was bought this radio as a gift and would recommend it to anyone who wishes to have a no-nonsense, quality radio. Having three ways to power the radio is brilliant. It has a nice tone when listening to Classic FM or talk shows such as radio 4 for example. It is simple to operate and I know I will be using this radio at my allotment, when I do the decorating, for picnics, when I cook and with earphones when I go to bed. The reception of DAB is very good. Although quite expensive to buy I think this radio will prove to be worth every penny because the cost of batteries won't be an issue. The instruction booklet is very clear too. This is not a boom box, so if you want something that can blast out very high volume then this is not for you! It's the sort of radio you want for having background chat and music as you work or play. I hope this helps you choose with confidence!

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Solar 2 DAB Radio, 22 Oct. 2010
Mr. G. A. Wise "Internet Buyer" (Chichester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Black (Electronics)
Nice quality sound from a small radio on FM and DAB. It has a single mono speaker (1W) but a stereo amplifier, so can be stereo on the headphone output. I like the Audio-in so that one can use it as a speaker for my mp3 player. DAB reception sensitivity is good and seems to last well on the 3 AA batteries. The solar charging LED lights up inside my conservatory from sun through the window glass but have no idea how much it charges the AA rechargable batteries.

I am very happy to recommend this radio but so unhappy with the price dropping only days after buying from [...] to [...] that hurts, so do check prices for a few days. Caveat emptor comes to mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a little cracker!, 8 Sept. 2010
we bought this great little radio to take on our camping holiday.we charged it before we went for the week and the only recharging it needed was using the solar panel. benefits include being able to plug an mp3 into it and its eco friendliness. its great to use in the garden and we are really pleased with the sound quality .

4.0 out of 5 stars Roberts SolarDab2, 7 May 2011
A Trollop (Leamington Spa, Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
Looks - excellent
Sound quality - Good enough although it is mono
- you can get stereo through headphones
Ease of use - Very good

Problem! and solution if anyone else has this.

The radio arrived in the evening so having read the instruction manual
I set about charging the batteries.
Following the instructions I first set the switch to the NimH/Nicad side.
(The text inside the radio is a little confusing as it appears to suggest
three positions for the switch, but I'm reasonably sure there are only two)
I then inserted the batteries supplied with the radio and plugged in the
charger.
I was surprised when after only 6 - 10 minutes the charge light changed
from blinking to solid, indicating the charge was complete.
I thought it possible that the batteries had come precharged so I
unplugged the charger from the radio and turned the radio on.
The radio tumed itself in and I selected the station of my choice.
After just a few minutes a red light appeared on the radio and it shut
itself off.
At this point I was unsure if the radio or the batteries were at fault so
decided to try charging again but this time to leave on charge overnight.
The following morning I turned on the radio and again it shut itself off
after just a few minutes.
This time I decided to try some rechargeable batteries of my own.
The charge light was in blink mode for a good number of hours as one
would expect. This was pleasing as I now expected that the problem
had been with the batteries and not the radio.
This has proven to be the case and it ran for 19 hours 39 minutes before
the batteries were exhausted. The radio was in sunlight for about 90 minutes
so will have got some extra charge from that.
For your information the batteries I used for this test
were Duracell DC1500 NiMH 1.2V / 2450mAh.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio - but a few disappointments, 27 Aug. 2012
After inserting the rechargeable batteries and leaving the device to charge for over 24 hours (more than the suggested 16), I was VERY impressed by the sound quality, neatness and simplicity in use of this great little portable radio.
I the sat outside in the midday sun( oh yes...on one of the few days we had sun) with it playing next to me whilst I read a book....but alas after 20 minutes it very disappointingly switched itself off! The solar indicator showed it still to be charging - but it was dead. I replaced the proprietary batteries with which it came with some of my own alkalines, turned the switch off Ni/MH accordingly and it jumped back into life again. I checked the proprietary batteries on my tester and it showed they were dead. Thinking it may be the built-in radio charger that was at fault, I charged the proprietary batteries in my own charger for 6 hours until they were full.
Alas, this time the radio went dead after less than 15 minutes. I checked the batteries again and it showed that two out of the three of them needed charging again. I binned them (environmentally of course)
I have since installed three 2650mA AA rechargeables from a reputable brand - and the unit has since been working perfectly for over 3 hours and still going as I write - with NO solar charging.

Final comments:
Why are Robert's tarnishing their good name by selling such an excellent product with such useless batteries? I did read one other article indicating the same. If you do buy this product - be prepared to purchase new rechargeables.
Also - the unit takes an odd number of 3 AA batteries - yet they come in packs of 4. The unit has spare room in the battery compartment to store a fourth battery, so why didn't they design to use 4?
The preset button is also a bit of a waste of time...you still have to scroll through your preset list to find the one you want, just that you are scrolling a few less stations than what might be available! Favourite button is very useful.

Overall - if it wasn't for the niggles above - I would thoroughly recommend this device for the value of money and quality of sound.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dabs radio - Roberts, 25 Jan. 2012
Good points:

Good looks, easy to move between stations, good connectivity, through Aux in, headphone etc. Clear sound in terms of reception only. Use of built-in charger and standard rechargable AA batteries and inclusion of a solar panel (see it in the bad points too)
Thanks to Amazon for excellent customer service and arranging a quick return on line.

Bad points:

Display light goes off when on batteries before all texts cab be displayed (funny energy saving feature), The solar charging requires clear direct sun light (not a great possibility in UK), but the reaoson made me return this item was the strong Bass/deep sound that made the listening to this radio very unpleasant for my taste and the lack of any tone control to allow me to adjust it. Difficult to use the stations presets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with my Roberts, 7 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Black (Electronics)
I wanted a radio for my bathroom that I could plug an MP3 player into, so I started to search the Internet. I quickly came upon the Roberts range of radios and found this model that not only accepts an aux input, but charges itself from solar energy!
My Roberts sits on my bathroom window sill and although I have frosted glass and that window doesn't get direct sunlight, it does seem to be charging itself. I'm sure if it does get low on charge I can simply leave it on a sunnier window sill for a day whilst I'm out.
This is my first DAB radio and on first use it tuned itself in easily. I tried FM and although it's a little slow at manually tuning for the first time, the reception is good. The advantage of FM over DAB is I don't have to wait for a couple of seconds when I turn the radio on to hear sound. I do find DAB slightly annoying in that respect. The aux input works easily and I can now plug either my phone or MP3 player into the radio and listen at quite a respectable volume. There isn't a tone control on my Roberts, but whether in my tiled bathroom or carpeted bedroom the sound is good.

In summary, the good points are: solar powered, volume, tone, aux input, portable & looks British!
The negatives: DAB 'lag' when turning on, time delay when moving from one room to another with a radio on FM.
Wish list: Port for SD card would be nice.

I'm now looking at one of the larger Roberts CD/DAB players for my living room :-)

Steve Boyer, Halifax, West Yorkshire

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little DAB radio, 29 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Black (Electronics)
I wanted a portable DAB radio primarily so I could listen to the cricket and other sport without the AM crackle when cleaning the car or doing the garden. This is just the job. If you're looking for Hi-Fi quality sound or thumping bass from Galaxy, then look elsewhere because the small mono speaker isn't designed for that. But if you want a self-charging, portable radio for speech and moderate volume music, I'd highly recommend this little unit. The solar panel's a nice touch, but a bit of a gimmic in the UK and I fully expect to be using the mains lead to charge the batteries (all integral with is neat). Finally, the digital reception is impressive- I can pick up all the stations I need to with the aerial only partially extended. Overall, just what I was after, and my wife says "it's cracking", so that's alright then!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little portable DAB, 6 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Black (Electronics)
Bought this to replace a pure one mini that lasted just over 13 months obviously as the radio is new how long its going to last isn't something I can predict but it's plus points are:

1. Comes with rechargeable batteries that aren't too fearsomely expensive to replace (unlike pure one mini).
2. Large screen and clear display
3. Battery lifespan is good for digital (about 20 hours between recharges no digital is brilliant when it comes to battery life)
4. Sound quality is good for a portable digital radio (this is my third DAB and I think it's almost as good as my old pure Evoke but much better than the pure one mini)
5. Presets are really easy to use and the instructions, while well written, aren't really necessary.
6. Will talk to my iPod and allow me to control the volume from both iPod and radio (not all digials with Aux sockets will allow you to control the sound from the radio)
7. Solar charger is a nice touch and on a sunny day in November it was recharging (but cloud cover stopped this).
8. Can use standard alkaline batteries.

Negative points
1. Solar recharger is unreliable in a British winter on my south facing window ledge (though I haven't tested it outside)
2. Scrolling information wasn't easy to read as it's refresh rate is poor leaving a ghost of the word as it moves across the screen.

Overall a good value product that produces very good sound quality for a small portable radio.

Roberts DAB / FM Digital Solar Radio - Black