5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, with an important message

1.0 out of 5 stars No likeable characters, and an annoying conclusion
Published 16 months ago by usually a fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, with an important message, 10 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Adultery Club (Paperback)
I thought this was a really great read. Weirdly, I didn't like the characters at first... well, when I say I didn't like them, what I mean is I found myself getting angry at them for some of the choices they were making, and felt like shouting at them to stop it! I was definitely drawn in to the story, and didn't want to put the book down. Would recommend to people who like Marian Keyes and Jane Green. Nice to find something new and fun in January, rather than just old stuff on sale!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic- Wendy, 14 July 2007
This review is from: The Adultery Club (Paperback)
This book is so good, you'll have a hard time putting it down!
Told by the 3 people invovled, the wife, the husband & the mistress's point of view, it is racy, but also very real & makes you see each side of the story...Just Fantastic!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars As delicious as a skinny latte and a chocolate cupcake (with extra icing), 7 Feb 2007
N. Kerbel (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adultery Club (Paperback)
Tess Stimson's book had me gripped - Perfectly describing the sticky web that many a city girl gets caught up in (I have a number of friends to vouch for this), I found myself tut-tutting the choices that Sara made and punching the air with glee when Mal, the 'stay-at-home-and-look-Victoria-sponge-sexy', got her own taste of titillation. The male lead was more Wimpy burger than Filet de beouf but alack (unless you're my father) thus is life.

Lovely read, either on the beach with a pina colada or by a log fire with a large glass of red. Recommending it to my city girls.

Looking forward to the next.

1.0 out of 5 stars No likeable characters, and an annoying conclusion, 12 July 2013
This review is from: The Adultery Club: In an often grey world there are fifty shades of seduction (Kindle Edition)
The three main characters; the husband wife and mistress, and all dislikeable. Nick, in particular, was repulsive. To be honest, I understand it may be difficult for a woman to write about an affair from a man's perspective, but I have seen it done well before. Here, it just seemed he came across as a sex-obsessed creep. I don't quite understand how he managed to get two women to want him, quite frankly. Further the mistress in this story is a disappointment. The author pushed to make her dislikeable, but it would have been nice to see a more balanced view of the other woman. Also, she is supposed to be an intelligent woman, yet she does not come across as such. Further the wife is just a doormat. I found the depictions of both women rather disappointing. I like strong female characters, not a doormat and an idiot, both in love with a sex-obsessed creep. I would have lived to have seen a bit more character development, rather than a boring same old depiction of the unremorseful other woman and the doormat wife.

1.0 out of 5 stars An awful, awful, awful book, 17 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Adultery Club (Paperback)
This book is quite honestly terrible, one of the worst I've ever completed. I really hate being negative about things but this book was so terrible I can't keep it in.

The characters are all horrible cliches. Nicholas is a caricature of a man with the penis of a sex obsessed virgin boy. Malinche (oh god I hated hated that name) was every scatty wife ever committed to unoriginal prose. And Sara was a whiny, selfish teenager who we are supposed to believe is also a successful solicitor.

The story was just dreadful, it lurched from one obvious scene to the next, culminating in an utterly predictable, yet unconvincing denouement. I know a lot of books in this genre fail to say anything new, but I've never before read one that said nothing new with such utter lack of flair.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 7 Feb 2007
Joy Peck "Joy Peck" (Herts UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adultery Club (Paperback)
This book was given to me (well swapped) actually whilst I was on holiday and a fellow holiday maker, like me had finished her book. I have never read any of Tess Stimson but haveing read this I would definitely read more of her work. I found myself on the side of each character in turn but ultimately I was rooting for Mal. I actually found it hard to put down and I didn't want to finish it, I wanted it to go on and on. I will agree with another reviewer of this book though that the "glitter scenario" is an old one and likewise several others. However despite all this, I thoroughly enjoyed it, lots of rude bits (which kept me reading as well) and I thought about it a lot even after I finished it. I would absolutely recommend this book as a good holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Adultery Club, 27 May 2008
This review is from: The Adultery Club (Paperback)
This was the 1st book I have read of Tess Stimson & I just couldn't put it down!!(i'm not the biggest bookworm so that is sayin something.

I enjoy Tess'style of writing & found that her characters become very real & you can otrelate to them.(whether they have acted imorally or not)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 21 Sep 2007
Net (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adultery Club (Paperback)
What a bonus surprise this book was. It had me laughing within the first few lines and turned out to be funny, serious and gut wrenching all at the same time. The thing that impressed me the most about this book was how real it was. It was a very honest account of committing adultery and having all three perspectives made it all the more rounded. Stimson builds this story very skilfully; it's very funny and 'light' to begin with and you can't help but be led to believe this is going to be a lightweight, scratch the surface type of beach read. However, as fantasy turns to fact so too does the book become more serious and significant in describing the devastating effects of a rather unpalatable situation with searing efficiency.

Having noted other reviewer's comments on their feelings of sympathy or dislike for the characters, I found (quite unsurprisingly) that even though Stimson shows how very vulnerable and precarious the life of a mistress can be, I had no sympathy for Sara whatsoever (lets face it, she deliberately set out to seduce someone else's husband; she's hardly likely to secure the pity vote). For Nicolas I felt only a begrudging sympathy (he did try after all, though failing spectacularly, to remain faithful), and for Mal and the children an awful lot.

It was very saucy in places but it rather needed that for you to 'get' what would have tempted a man who on paper was least likely to have an affair, into the bed (and every other available surface really!) of another woman. As a wife and mum myself, it's a pretty scary read at times and a warning that it really can happen to anyone. Read it, it was superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT HOLIDAY READ!, 20 Sep 2012
BEV FERN (WORKSOP, NOTTS) - See all my reviews
I purchaed this for my Kindle. I was stocking it up for my holidays. It was a very enjoyable easy to read book, very entertaining without getting too deep in a very involved story line. As I am fast reader I had finished it in a day but I enjoyed it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a shade of grey, 14 Aug 2012
If your expecting a book in the style of Fifty Shade you'll be very disappointed. This is a very tender and well written story of a marriage under pressure.The story told by the three main characters is different and sometimes annoying but the insight is definitely well worth it. It's a quick read only cause a could put it down!