5.0 out of 5 stars You will love Humphrey the Horrible and eat less meat.
Published on 29 Jan. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite As Good As Other Eva Ibbotson Audio Books
We have a lot of audio books by Eva Ibbotson, all of them excellent. However, this one does not engage as well as the others. John Sessions has some interesting voices for the characters, but again not as good as I had hoped.

Published on 28 April 2010 by Mrs. Roma U. F. Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars You will love Humphrey the Horrible and eat less meat., 29 Jan. 2002
This review is from: The Great Ghost Rescue (Paperback)
Eva Ibbotson's book really thrilled me. My Grandma gave me this book instead of underwear this Christmas. At first I didn't even read it, but when I started reading, I couldn't stop laughing. This book is about a PINK ghost Humphrey and his family. They have to leave their home - the Craggyford Castle - because some people have turned it into a five-star hotel with a disco and cinema. A trip begins and they meet a boy named Rick. Rick takes them to the Prime Minister with a wish for some land to make a ghost sanctuary. If you are a Harry Potter fan you will love this book. My younger sister was glad that it has a happy ending. Now I am looking for a new Eva Ibbotson book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humphrey the Horrible was a ghost....., 11 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
At the ripe old age of 34, I still enjoy this fantastic book! I have read it to any child in my family that will sit still long enough - and they are soon begging me to carry on reading! This book has always held such fond memories for me. The writing is vivid and really helps to bring the characters alive. I can visualise them even as I type. Written long before Harry Potter was old enough to play Quidditch, this book is an absolute delight! I am not giving away the storyline - it's much more fun to read about this wonderful and unusual 'family' for yourselves. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality children's literature, 10 Sept. 2008
Robert Jardim "Silverfish" (Preston, Lancs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Ghost Rescue (Paperback)
I first read this book nearly 15 years ago, when I was a young lad alone in my dusty school library, with a few hours to kill and not much of a selection to choose from. I had a morbid fascination with ghosts and the undead, and the title stuck out (I'd love to say that the book levitated into my waiting hands, but I've never met any bookworm poltergeists).

This is a really charming story about an unusual family trying to find their way to a new home. From a child's point of view, the book's outlook is perfect - the monsters are lovably human, while many of the adults are selfish and arrogant - and there is never the sensation that the book is being patronising or dumbing things down for the sake of the young readers.

I've recently bought a copy for nostalgia value, and when I have children I hope they'll find it interesting...though no doubt they'll be hooked (booked?) on the next, post-Harry Potter craze.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Ghost Rescue, 31 July 2003
...Loggie... "Loggie-log-log-log" (I live on the earth, in the western hemisphere, in North America, in the country of the United States of America, in Illinois in the town of Champaign) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Ghost Rescue (Paperback)
The Great Ghost Rescue is a very good book. The main character is Humphrey the Horrible. Humphrey is a ghost. Humphrey is a bit of a disappointment to his mother and father. He doesn’t moan or wail, his ectoplasm is pinkish, and he can’t even disappear properly. Humphrey’s mother is a hag, and Humphrey’s father is a Scottish ghost with a sword sticking out of his chest. Humphrey’s brother is a screaming scull, and his sister constantly moans because she can’t reach her bowl of water to clean off her bloodstains. Yes, Humphrey’s parents are worried about him.
One day Aunt Hortensia came to live with the family. She has been forced out of the place she was haunting, and decided to come live in the old castle that Humphrey’s family haunts. She brought with her stories of lots of ghosts being forced out of their old haunts or of being forced to haunt places like butcher shops (oh horror!). The family was staunch in their belief that whatever happened out in the rest of the world, they would be safe here.
However the unthinkable happened. Developers came to their castle and started to turn it into an amusement place. The family leaves, seeking a new place. They spend the night in a boardinghouse. At the boardinghouse they meet a boy named Rick. Rick is already mad at the injustices people are doing to animals, and is shocked to see that ghosts share the threat of extinction. He wants to help the ghosts and decides that they need to create a Ghost Sanctuary.
This is the story of Rick going to the Prime Minister and asking for a ghost sanctuary. It is also, more importantly, about how Humphrey realizes that he doesn’t have to be Horrible, he is fine the way he is.
The story is written in that creative style that always characterizes Ibbotson’s work. It is a wonderful book and I really enjoyed it.
Loggie-log-log-log

5.0 out of 5 stars bought this 30+ years ago, now reading to my 5 yr old.., 28 Jan. 2012
J. Spennewyn "boxer lady" (cambridge, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Great Ghost Rescue (Hardcover)
I never knew the author wrote anything else, it's come as a pleasant but not unexpected surprise that she seems so keen on ghosties & beasties..
This book entranced me as a youngster (around 7 yrs old) ..& remained memorable throughout the following years.
This book was unearthed recently after a clear-out of "precious things" from my childhood home..
Now reading it for my 5 yr old daughter who is in awe & eager to know what happens next.
..I'm enjoying sharing this book so much, i think a few more of her books will be on the cards, ..especially the ones read by john sessions & david tennant (the dr)
..Should be good for long trips, fun for the parents too!
(Ps my yellow ageing copy was 40p new)

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldies are still the best, 28 Dec. 2010
I read this book about 30 odd years ago, but couldn't remember whether it was as funny as I thought it was - that and I didn't think much of the modern covers - so I plumped for a second hand copy. Very fast service, well wrapped. Book in great condition. The story is as BRILLIANT as I remember - on a par with Mr Terry Pratchett, and without the moralistic garbage you seem to get today. Very funny (Walter the Wet trying to lure someone to their watery death under the dining room table had me falling off my chair), the illustrations are great, and you don't need to be a child to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite childhood book, 26 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
It's fab, a great mix of silly jokes, stomach churning descriptions of ghostly activities, and a hero that you can identify with as readily as Harry Potter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite As Good As Other Eva Ibbotson Audio Books, 28 April 2010
Mrs. Roma U. F. Cox (Alresford, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Ghost Rescue (Audio CD)

All told slightly disappointing and not one we will listen to again and again. If you need recommendations try The Dragonfly Pool, The Secret of Platform 13, The Star of Kazan, The Beasts of Clawstone Castle, Journey to River Sea, Dial A Ghost or Not Just A Witch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest innocent young persons read, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Great Ghost Rescue (Kindle Edition)
I read this as a child and loved it, so was pleased to find it available to download.
It's a lovely easy read, plenty of colourful characters and lots of chuckles. The drama is enough to hold the attention without distressing young readers. All round a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking and funny for adults and children alike, 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Great Ghost Rescue (Kindle Edition)
A children's book that is engaging, thought provoking and very funny for adults as well as children. I came across it many years ago, when my then young daughter brought it home. We've both just had another read and another laugh.

The Great Ghost Rescue