5.0 out of 5 stars The Seventh Book in the Series
Published on 24 May 2007 by J. Chippindale

3.0 out of 5 stars straightforward whodunit?
Usual solid characters, no excessive descriptions and a plot which has a decent pace with just enough twists, turns and red herrings.
Published 6 months ago by Kate the Great

5.0 out of 5 stars The Seventh Book in the Series, 24 May 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Peter Robinson grew up in Yorkshire, and is the author of a number of previous novels featuring Inspector Banks. He is the winner of numerous awards in the United States, Britain and Canada, and in 2002 he won the CWA Dagger in the Library. As I also come from Leeds the background to his stories is something that I have experienced first hand and because of this I have a special affection for his books. However they would be first class crime fiction wherever they were based.

Having said that I can understand to a degree why some readers may not like the books. Banks is a character that has grown over several books and the author is very comfortable not only with the character of Banks, but all the other character too. To me this makes the stories flow because the author instinctively knows how his characters are going to react in certain situations. The books are produced as a series and it is nice if you can read them all in the order they were written, but this is by no means compulsory as each book stands alone. They are what I would call `light' reading. By that I mean that they flow and not that they are third rate in any sense, in fact quite the opposite.

This book centres around the abduction of a young girl from her mother by two people posing as social workers. It is the mother's fear of authority that to leads her to comply with their request to take the young girl away for tests. It is only when they fail to return the seven-year-old that the mother realises that she has made an awful mistake. For all those involved in the case it brings back dreadful memories of the Moors Murders. DCI Banks is also investigating a particularly gruesome murder at an abandoned mine and gradually the clues in the two cases begin to converge . . .

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written absorbing crime thriller, 6 July 2001
By A Customer
Wednesday's Child is a well written and thought provoking crime thriller surrounding the disappearance of a 7 year old girl and the subsequent aftermath. Peter Robinson brings the reader into the world of Alan Banks with ease and early into the book a sense of familiarity of the detective is gained. Robinson brings the reader face to face with the different aspects of the investigation without needless description and it is a pleasurable and thrilling read. His characterisation of the fear of those involved is well documented and gives the reader a real sense of the growing panic and despair of this crime.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Addition to the DI Banks series, 19 Nov 2008
P. Rees "Paul Rees" (Whitstable, UK) - See all my reviews
Another worthy addition to the excellent DI Banks series. Robinson pulls off the old trick of starting out with two apparently seperate cases and having them converge at the book's conclusion. The characterisation is as convincing as ever, and although the subject matter is somewhat disturbing it is sensitively handled.It isn't perfect: there are a few clunky plot devices and it lacks a truly satisfying 'whodunnit' element. But it remains an excellent crime novel

4.0 out of 5 stars absorbing....................., 24 Dec 2008
kermit 333 (England UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have only just discovered Peter Robinson and am now enjoying reading his books as far as possible in order. I don't agree with the reviewer who said the books can be read as stand alone novels; Peter Robinson has an extremely subtle touch in developing the characterisation of Banks's wife, family and colleagues, which I think one misses if one reads them out of order.

It pains me to say (as I think they're so good) that this one is not one of his best - I did not feel the same eagerness to learn the outcome as I have with some of his other novels and the ending felt too much like he felt he had to tie all the ends up neatly. Having said that it was also ambiguous ( I'm trying not to give the ending away!) and I would have liked further info............... you'll see what I mean when you read it.) Still Robinson is so good that even a less than perfect example of his work is still streets ahead - a really classy guy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, 9 Jan 2014
Timothy Blea (Munich) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book very much. It is the first Inspector Banks I've read - I don't quite know why I dived into the middle of the series, but I will certainly be reading others.
A good, well written plot with credible characters and above all set in England (like the Ruth Galloway and Serrailler novels).
Again - one of my favorite gripes! - not too much bad language, enough to be justified. I'm not sure how important it is to satrt these at the beginning (the series, I mean, not the books!), but I didn't get the feeling I had missed very much background history to the characters. I had gone straight into the middle of the series and I felt comfortable there.
Nice to have found another good British author who I will defintely persue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Wednesday's Child (An Inspector Banks Mystery) (Kindle Edition)
Great read and more in the Inspector Banks saga

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 7 July 2014
great

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Read, 3 July 2014
Very good story in the best Peter Robinson style. I can recommend it to all PR fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wednesday"s child, 2 July 2014
Enjoy all Banks stories. Easy to read and clear but.uncomplicated plots. Good description and scene setting. Excellent explanations. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars a darke place to go., 17 Jun 2014
a darker place to go. very well told a lot of different crimes visited all in one go
not for faint hearted.