4.0 out of 5 stars Good old-fashioned thrills
I felt like this thriller was in the tradition of writers from an older age, like Forsyth and Dick Francis. That's no bad thing!

It has the occasional moment where unintentional hilarity slips in, but the story will (hopefully) carry you along with its sheer energy.

Great fun.
Published on 5 July 2011 by Chris Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Ludicrous, but it dulled the pain of flying!
Right from the start I want it to be clear why I bought this book – it was to pass the time, in a reasonably entertaining, brain-light kind of a way, on a flight from Australia to the UK.

Published 8 months ago by Stewart M

4.0 out of 5 stars Good old-fashioned thrills, 5 July 2011
This review is from: Ice Station (Paperback)

Great fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ludicrous, but it dulled the pain of flying!, 13 Aug. 2014
Stewart M (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

In that regard the book was a success. There were no periods of introspection from the characters, there was very little character development from the author, and there was an almost never-ending supply of action. In my opinion this is near perfect aeroplane fodder.

On almost any other level the plot of the book is ludicrous.

The central character is a Capt. Indestructible US Marine, sent on a mission that is uncertain and rapidly compromised. Once the mission goes pear shaped it’s an almost endless firefight.

The most interesting part of the book – those about the less than honest relationship on a strategic level between the USA and her allies – is never really explored. I assume that could because of the lack of gun-play in diplomatic meetings!

If you are prepared to forgive some rather silly plot develops and some even sillier “science” then this is a fast paced read that neatly ties up all of the loose ends and does not deal with anything vaguely ambiguous.

On a different note, I was struck by the apparent similarity between the plot of the opening section of the book and the film “Aliens” – and I would interested to find out if anybody noticed this.

Having said all this – the truth of the matter is I may well buy another of the books in the series the next time I have a long flight, as it did the job I bought it for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Relentless, Fast Paced Action Novel, 2 Feb. 2014
RK - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ice station is no prize winning novel. The plot is that of a Hollywood movie, full of improbable twists and endless action sequences. The main character Shane Schofield call sign scarecrow is practically indestructible even when faced by hordes of Special Forces troops. Having said of all this, the book is passable read. The break neck pace of the book allows you to overlook many of its flaws, in the same way that you do when watching a Hollywood action movie. In many ways it is like an inferior version of a Tom Clancy or Lee Child novel.

Overall, a readable novel with lots of action and a relentless pace that would probably make a great holiday read. However, in no way is it a must read book nor is it a novel that makes me immediately seek out more books by the same author.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced: yes, thrilling: no., 12 Nov. 2012
DonSC (On a mountain in Scotland (I wish)) - See all my reviews
When I bought it I really wanted to like this book. I was hoping this author might be my successor to Geoffrey Jenkins and his books. Alas no.

The actions and events go from the highly unlikely to the plain daft. All the 'bad guys' are stupid. Even the SAS, who the author tells us are the best special forces unit in the world, behave like newly recruited idiots. The technology is lifted straight out of video games, so there is no need to comment on how realistic it is not. And then there is the minor matter of the nuclear weapon that is exploded on the surface of the planet - that no one notices, anywhere!

Some have described this as popcorn fiction. Popcorn has some nutritional value, this book doesn't. Just page after page of fast-paced nonsense.

5.0 out of 5 stars It might be ridiculous but ..., 5 Jan. 2011
I love it!

Life is full of enough realism and realism isn't necessarily very interesting, so when I read fiction I want exactly that, fiction!

I have read most of Reilly's books and I like all I have read. It is just great fun escapism, entertainment at its best. Yes, if you want to be critical there are lots of things to criticize - events that would just never happen and equipment and vehicles described different to their real life counter parts. But for light hearted entertainment, I feel it can't be bettered - so long as you don't take it too seriously.

Keep the stories coming Matthew ...

Read Winston Bugle's latest action thriller Bobby on the Run

4.0 out of 5 stars Ice Ice Baby, 27 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Ice Station (The Scarecrow Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The general story revolves around a group of scientists in antarctica finding a strange object deep beneath the earth. Once the obligitary slaughter ensues a group of marines are sent in to rescue the remaining scientists and 'secure' the base. Once the marines arrive the action really steps up and marines, Navy Seals, the SAS and every other elite fighting squad in the world seem to decsend on Wilkes Ice Station. I've never read any other book that can describe the action sequences so well and provide the reader with a genuine edge of the seat experience. The only criticism would be that at times the action did become somewhat far-fetched but when its this enjoyable who cares!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced, but a rather far-fetched plot, 12 April 2012
H. C. Vaandrager "Henk" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
It depends on what you're looking for in your reading, I guess. I would classify the book as a nice vacation read. The author certainly adds a good pace to his story, which definitely kept me reading. Which is not the least important aspect of a book to me. Having said that, the main character is somewhere between Rambo and Superman, even as the supporting cast somehow comes across more human. I can be short about the plot. The main thrust, an investigation of events at a polar station, is all right, but as the story progresses, I regret to conclude it gets less and less credible... Anyway, if you're looking for a read to help you relax, it's not a bad choice.

2.0 out of 5 stars [start italics] drum drum drum [end italics], 1 Oct. 2009
R. Owen "pitbull" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ice Station (Paperback)
Started off okay and action packed, but soon the writing style, yes writing style, it was the writing style!, [start italics] the style of writing! [end italics] got more than slightly annoying!

Im sure this book could of been made about 100 pages shorter if the author did not keep drumming the same old obvious point into the reader (overuse of italics adds to the frustration...), could do with a decent edit.

The story goes rapidly downhill as the laws of physics are broken time and time again.

I gave 2 stars as it kept me entertained briefly to start with (but in the end was a chore to finish...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-stop action and heart-stopping excitement!, 15 July 2013
This book has been one of the most exciting I have read in years, with every page I found my heart closer and closer to my mouth and I irritated my friends with constant gasps of both horror and excitement. True, the character development leaves something to be desired, and the plot seems unrealistic and erratic at times despite the well thought out military terms and details, but all of this is overruled by the fantastic writing and drama. I could not put this down, I am firmly in love with Scarecrow the main character, and I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone looking for a brilliant summer read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Stuff, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Ice Station (The Scarecrow Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is my first kindle book that I have purchased so I was a little apprehensive as I normally prefer text on paper, but after getting into the first few pages it soon became as natural to read e-ink as it was normal paper. I chose this author because I had previously bought the paperback of Temple, which I enjoyed the twists and turns in the plot. Ice station is quite similar, lots of action, the plot twists and turns and I truely am reluctant to read anything else on the bus now. I think I will be reading future books in this series, especially if they are all as good as this one.