4.0 out of 5 stars Not great literature but a great story
This is the first Ken Follett book I've read, my sister gave it to me saying he tells a good story. And its the story that holds the book together, you sort of know what's going to happen and the main characters are complete cliches but that doesn't stop you wanting to read on.

Published on 2 May 2008 by Elizabeth Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars SO SO BIO-TECH THRILLER...
Published on 26 Aug 2007 by Lawyeraau

3.0 out of 5 stars SO SO BIO-TECH THRILLER..., 26 Aug 2007
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Third Twin (Paperback)
The basic theme of this book has to do with genetic engineering that was secretly conducted many years ago. What initially appears to be a case of twins born to different mothers, turns out to be something else altogether. Genetic researcher, Dr. Jeannie Ferrami, is conducting a study on twins. This brings her into contact with law student, Steve Logan, who is his parents' only child and surprised to have been asked to participate in this study involving twins.

When a heinous crime occurs at the University where Dr. Ferrami works, Steve finds himself accused of the crime, although he claims that is innocent. When DNA results, rather than exonerate him, confirm that he is, indeed, the culprit, he is shocked. The only answer is that he has a secret twin of whom both he and his parents have been unaware.

As Steve and Dr. Ferrami are thrust into this genetic mystery, they find themselves beleaguered by forces that will stop at nothing to prevent them from discovering the secret that has lain dormant from prying eyes for so many years. It is a secret for which those at the pinnacle of power will kill in order to keep it under wraps.

This is a moderately entertaining novel but not one of this author's better efforts. Thematically provocative, it is a fast-paced, though predictable, plot driven book. It fails, however, in its execution, as the characters are unsympathetic and two dimensional, hampered by stilted dialogue that is sometimes laughable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not great literature but a great story, 2 May 2008
Elizabeth Taylor (France) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Third Twin (Paperback)

The main character is a successful and of course very attractive young scientist who carries research into criminality and identical twins - where one twin is a baddie and one a goodie. She stumbles across a generic experiment and has to rush around to find out the truth to save her career. How she manages to achieve this despite no cash in the bank is a minor detail lost in the headlong rush to unravel the ''truth''. In amongst the simple plot line are a number of devious old men and a young stud to provide some love interest. The main theme is the idea that when the doorbell rings you can't tell if is your boyfriend, son or your enemy or a complete stranger. This simple idea has many implications and could certainly have been developed in more complex and interesting ways but the book reads as if the author was pretty excited about his idea and so just slapped it down on paper.

So in the end although the characters are not well developed and the dialogue rather wooden, and you have a pretty good idea of whats going to happen I suspect you like me will devote some serious page turning to finish it in a pretty short time. So its well worth the investment of a few hours especially if you are stuck at airport and need to kill a few hours.

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely recognisable Follett, 23 May 2009
Mr. Tony Griffiths "Griff" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Third Twin (Paperback)
I've been spoilt. Yes, Follett has delivered some great novels - Pillars being by far the best. But I'm afraid this sits in the drawer labelled "Distinctly average".
Weak storyline and sometimes groan-worthy dialogue "Punched the air and said "Yes!"". All combines to an instantly forgettable effort I'm afraid. At lines I felt like abondoning it, but to my credit, I perservered. I'm wondering why.
Lets be honest about it. Its rubbish. And I wish he'd leave out his desire to put in occasional lines of gratuitous smut (Its uncalled for and contributes nothing to the story). Sorry, Ken!

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly worth buying!, 31 Aug 2000
This review is from: The Third Twin (Paperback)
This was my first ever Ken Follett book and it took me a while to get into it. However, half way through I could not put it down, read it all in one sitting, without cooking dinner and just the occasional break to make another cup of coffee! It is somewhat predictable but in a way that makes you want more and more. A very enjoyable read. I like Ken Follett's style of writing and have put quite a few of his books in my "shopping" basket for next time! From what I can see he writes about a wide spectrum of subjects and I am looking forward to reading more of his books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad effort, 6 Mar 2000
This review is from: The Third Twin (Paperback)
Having been enthralled by "The Pillars of the Earth", I bought this, expecting something of a similar standard. I didn't get it, but "The Third Twin" isn't bad. I liked most of the characters and the writing was generally good. The plot, however, especially at the end, was much too routine and soap opera-ish. I felt as if I were reading the script for a TV movie. As it turned out, of course, I was!

5.0 out of 5 stars rivetting!!, 18 Oct 1998
This review is from: The Third Twin (Paperback)
A book that I just could not put down. Follett has really out done himself. You find yourself turning each page just to find out who actually raped Lisa. I can't tell you more because that would spoil the fun of reading this page turner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining..., 13 July 2001
This review is from: The Third Twin (Paperback)
I really enjoyed and have often recommended another Ken Follet book: "The Pillars of the Earth". I was a little disappointed ONLY because I found the dialog a bit weak (someone else mentioned soap opera and that rings true). But the book is entertaining and suspenseful and some parts brought out a chuckle. I only gave *** because I rated it against TPOTE...a book I really loved. Overall, a The Third Twin is a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, 15 Feb 2000
This review is from: The Third Twin (Paperback)
This was my first introduction to Ken Follett and I'm now hooked. Third Twin was a most imaginative and well-written book. OK - the title did give it away a bit! - and the end became predictable three quarters of the way through but it's definitely worth a 4* for the way it entertained me and that's what I want from a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 Oct 2011
K. Norman (Pembrokeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Third Twin (Paperback)
Yet another brilliant read from Ken Follett. I highly recommend it to Follett followers! A real thriller of a story with evil combined with modern technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars fact or fiction, 6 Jan 2003
Iona Van Der Walt "iona474" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Third Twin (Hardcover)
The third twin by ken follet
It's adveture, thriller and drama all in one. Making you wonder how many secrets the leaders of the world is really hiding but more important (or intruiging) how many secrets they don't even know of. Gripping from beginning to the end, it's on my top five of all time. good one Ken!

The Third Twin