5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment from Dexter
This is a superb novel from Colin Dexter. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I thoroughly recommend it. The relationship between Morse and Lewis sparkles in this novel and the plot is so gripping I read this book in a day on holiday. The plot revolves around three women ('The Daughters of Cain') who are connected to each other through their loathing of one man...
Published on 20 Nov 2010 by Mr. Craig Henderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing
Published on 6 Sep 2012 by Mr. Ross Maynard

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment from Dexter, 20 Nov 2010
Mr. Craig Henderson (North East, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Morse first investigates the murder of Dr Felix McClure and Morse and Lewis have an immediate suspect. Morse becomes romantically involved with a young woman who may be connected with the murder of the second victim. This book is vintage Dexter and is very easy to read. The plot grips you and there are some good twists near the end of the novel. The Daughters of Cain is one of the best Morse novels and the subplots and suspense keep you reading right to the end.
Excellent stuff
5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more..., 17 Sep 2013
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
There is so much more within this book than ever appeared in the television series. I watched and enjoyed every story with John Thaw as Morse but was amazed at how much I learnt about his characters from each story I have read. I also found each chapter very easy to read and follow and if I did not know what the references were I looked them up so I learnt lots of things from this story.
I have read many detective stories and often there is too much technical detail and you almost feel as if you are reading a users manual. I never get this feeling with a Colin Dexter story but what I do get is great entertainment and I find I cannot put the book down unlike others.
I am looking forward to my next Colin Dexter already and know I will enjoy the characters he brings to life and the settings he uses within Oxford.

5.0 out of 5 stars With only two books left in the series I am saddened as this wonderful set of books draw to a close, 20 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Daughters of Cain (Inspector Morse Book 11) (Kindle Edition)
Dexter's Morse has grown and developed into an utterly compelling character. Reading about him, his thought processes and interaction with the world and people around him, is as much a reason to buy these books as the criminal plot lines themselves. It just so happens this story with its principle triumvirate female cast is a belter. With only two books left in the series I am saddened as this wonderful set of books draw to a close.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a good book!, 1 Mar 2001
By A Customer
I am new to reading full length novels (i'm only 11) and i decided to start with this one. I can honestly say that this novels has inspired me to read. The plot is great, teh writing brilliant, the characters really interesting. I have no fault at all with this book. it is entirely thought provoking and you can totally understand the motives of the criminal(or criminals) and even feel a certain compassion for them, no you DO feel compassion for them. This book has shaped my future reading material. thank You Mr Dexter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning!, 11 July 2014
When this arrived my Kindle opened at "Part 1". I have a habit of going to the front cover and discovered that the book begins with a Prologue. So if you are buying, make sure you start reading from the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 19 Jun 2014
most riveting well worth the buy a very good read I have bought a lot of morse book they are my faverate

5.0 out of 5 stars For Morse fans, 22 Jan 2014
Bought this to complete my collection of 13 Morse books. What more can I say without letting the cat out of the bag? Morse at his Morsest, I suppose.

5.0 out of 5 stars the daughters of cain, 8 Dec 2013
I did not get this downloaded on my kindle but like all colin dexter books it has to be good do you think you could find out why it did not arrive on my kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Aug 2014
Morse at his written best (although John Thaw always impinges on my consciousness!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 6 Sep 2012
Mr. Ross Maynard (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I thought I would like the Morse books - intellectual detective stories with plenty to satisfy the user. I was wrong. I hated this book, and I hated it because of the writing style. Colin Dexter writes in an extremely irritating and self-absorbed style. Every piece of narrative seems to come with a little (pointless and annoying) comment in parentheses. The whole thing feels smug and pretentious. This is compounded by the fact that the author alludes to the perpetrators of each element of the mystery in the narrative even though no evidence has yet been uncovered. Thus there is no real mystery and we just have Morse shambling along piecing together things that the reader already knows.

I just couldn't get into it and struggled to finish it. It's a shame because, in the hands of Ruth Rendell or Ian Rankin, this could be a cracking story. Instead it's a self-congratulatory and irritating book to read.