4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Paced and Beautifully Written
This novel won the Crime Writers' Association Duncan Lawrie Dagger for 2006. It is the first Ann Cleeves book I've read, and it won't be the last. It's a neatly constructed crime novel, perfectly paced and beautifully written - the psychological crime novel meets the old-fashioned whodunit.

The novel begins at New Year in the Shetland home of elderly Magnus...
Published on 19 Mar 2007 by A Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Hitting the wall
A modern slick crime thriller set in the Shetlands. On a bleak, windswept and snowy landscape a girl's body is discovered and all suspicion falls upon 'troll' Magnus Tait. As the story develops it appears he may have 'previous' but did he do it?

Ms Cleeves has clearly done extensive research on both the geography and history of the Shetlands, as the novel...
Published on 7 May 2010 by Officer Dibble

‹ Previous | 146 47 48 49 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Raven Black and and other buys, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Raven Black (Shetland) (Kindle Edition)
I was please with all aspects of this purchase. as I am with most puchases. I don't feel the need to clap every time I buy some thing .I expect good or even excellent service, which I usually get. I would stop buying from you if I didn't Pat Pay

5.0 out of 5 stars omg, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Raven Black (Shetland) (Kindle Edition)
well i loved this book, couldnt put it down , it certainly get u guessing who has done the crime :)

3.0 out of 5 stars good setting and good twists, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Raven Black (Shetland) (Kindle Edition)
i enjoyed the story, but the writing style did not really suit me. I found some of the plot jumps a bit random and it didn't tie together nicely. Very interesting setting and good twists in the story. Not in a rush to read more from this author though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Jun 2012
Jadi (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raven Black (Shetland) (Kindle Edition)
Another reviewer said they were trying to resist the temptation to immediately download the second book in this series.Afraid I could not resist! Finished "Raven Black" this morning and looking forward to starting the next one tonight. I read a couple of the Vera Stanhope novels after watching the tv series,enjoyed them and decided to try the Shetland quartet. I love the setting,the characters and the final twist which I didn't see coming.Now find myself wanting to know more about the characters lives,so I'm hoping some of them will feature in the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Aug 2014
Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Aug 2014
briliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Oct 2014
Excelnt

3.0 out of 5 stars My first Ann Cleeves but not my last, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Raven Black (Shetland) (Kindle Edition)
This was my first book by Ann Cleeves. I downloaded it when I saw that the BBC had filmed it, and didn't realise that she also wrote the Vera books, which I have liked on tv.

I did like this. It was a very easy read, and one of those books that you can't put down even though you can pretty much guess what's happened. I've noticed that there's been a bit of a revival of 'traditional' detective stories, and quite a lot set in obscure places such as Shetland and Lewis, and wonder why they've become so popular when I was wondering why I enjoyed this (as I didn't like the Lewis one). Maybe it's pure escapism from the associations of the city and the current miserable state of the economy, maybe it's something to do with perceiving these remote places as having more 'natural' values or maybe I'm reading to much into it!

Anyway, I read this very quickly and it had a satisfying denouement and it didn't leave anything unexplained, which as far as I am concerned in a detective story are all pluses. And the pace was excellent.

Why only 3 stars? I've pondered this lots. Firstly, the narrative was quite static, there was a lot of 'tell' and not so much 'show'. Secondly, the characters didn't have a lot of depth. And finally, because of that, I didn't particularly empathise with the central character of the detective, Jimmy Perez. I like to like my detectives, and while I was interested in the story, the unravelling of the murders, I wasn't very interested in the people involved.

I will read more Ann Cleeves though because I love the genre and I find it is the best type of story to help me escape from my own writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars INTERESTING READ, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Raven Black (Shetland) (Kindle Edition)
First time of reading Ann Cleaves,excellent read, interesting. insite into Shetland life. Look forward to reading more by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Raven Black (Shetland) (Paperback)
great