5.0 out of 5 stars Wilbur Smith has done it again!
Published on 25 Oct 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars it's not bad
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the others before it, seemed to be dragging a bit but was not too bad after all
Published 15 months ago by Frances Mary Speer

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilbur Smith has done it again!, 25 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This is another work of art by Smith. It's a historical adventure like his other novels I have read, with the usual coloring of romance. This novel is however a little different from Smith's others, in that far from the usual plot of people going on missions to discover African treasures, this novel is about a woman who has had, and lost. She had wealth and a good family, and lost it all. She knew love, and lost that too. In the face of all this and as if this is not enough, she suddenly finds herself in a strange land and amongst strange people. Simply existing in this new land is a struggle. As we go through this ordeal with Centaine de Thiry, we find ourselves more riveted as the chapters go by, and we find ourselves learning more about this "dark" continent called Africa. Smith's novels do more than entertain, they educate, and this is what makes them literary genius. This one is no exception.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Burning Shore - great stuff, 27 Jun 2009
Bonny Scot (Cheltenham, U.K) - See all my reviews
This is a fast-paced story which contrasts the fierce fight for survival as a pilot in the first world war with the battle to stay alive in the heat of the African desert. Wilbur Smith writes with authority and leaves the reader wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumpingly good, 2 July 2008
This is the 4th Courtney novel, and we learn of how Michael passed (nearly made blub!!) and the amazing series of events that was to follow. What surprised me most is how different this book was to the previous Courtney books and somehow it seems to be all the better for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You actually care about his characters, 24 Feb 2010
bugrit (North Yorks) - See all my reviews
The Burning Shore was my introduction to Wilbur Smith's work after someone gave it to me many years ago and it's still the best adventure yarn that I have ever read. It's got all the Wilbur Smith hallmarks: well-researched attention to detail in an epic plot enacted by people that he gets you to know and love. It can leave you feeling bereft when Smith kills one of them off and that's a rare skill amongst yarn-spinners but it's what makes him stand out from the rest - you actually care what happens to his characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 4 Dec 2003
This is a fantastic book. The first book i have read by Wibur Smith. Its full of adventure, twists and turns, not in the least bit predictable. The detail Smith goes into is so well described that you feel that you are actually there or that you lived what the characters are going through. Don't usually cry when i read books, but a certain part of the story brought me to tears. I shall definatley read Smith again. Go read this book and enjoy it just as much as i did!

5.0 out of 5 stars a rip roaring read, 13 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Burning Shore (Hardcover)
What a book, the great author has surpassed himself this time, the delicious imagery and heartfelt emotion will blow your socks off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of his earlier works, 18 Nov 2005
Big Bad Bill "Big Bad Bill" (Somwhere on the Celtic Fringe) - See all my reviews
I was first attracted to Smith not as a writer of novels about Africa, but by his novel 'Birds of Prey' which is a historical sea adventure. I enjoyed that book so bought his two novels set in Ancient Eygpt (River God & Warlock), which were also great. I then bought a couple of books from his two established series, ie Courtney (When the Lion feeds) and Ballantyne (A Falcon Flies). I found these to be rather boring and hard going compared with those I have previously mentioned. This lead me to move on to other authors. However I recently bought 'A Sparrow Falls' and 'The Burning Shore'. These two novels are set at the same time, starting in France in WW1 and ending in post war southern Africa and the main characters from each play small roles in the other. However that is were the similarity ends. 'A Sparrow Falls' is dull and centred on petty rivalry etc which you can see in every day life, while 'The Burning Shore' has all the characteristics that made me love the first few Smith novels I had read. That is adventure along with beautiful description of the exotic world that the novel is set in. The difference in quality of these two novels makes it hard to believe that they are written by the same author. All I can add is buy this book, you will not regret it. I am now going to buy the sequel to this book, and I hope that it will be in the style of this book rather than the two other Courtney novels I have read (Lion and Sparrow).

4.0 out of 5 stars I have read many of the Wilbur Smith books in ..., 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Burning Shore (The Courtneys of Africa) (Kindle Edition)
I have read many of the Wilbur Smith books in the past as they were all enjoyable I thought I would have another look at them

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 8 July 2014
I love this book. It has a bit of everything. I've read it a few times as a book so thought it was time to get it on kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another courtney excellent saga, 20 May 2014
I love the continuing storey of the the relatives of the Courtney family and the other lives they touch upon during their escapades