4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable space opera with huge ideas

3.0 out of 5 stars Average confusion
Published on 13 Oct 2008 by Mr. C. J. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable space opera with huge ideas, 13 Mar 2008
Mark Chitty (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stealing Light (Hardcover)
It is the 25th century and the Consortium spreads out over an area of space in the orion arm. Although humanity do not have the capability to use ftl travel, a species called the Shoal do, and are the only species in the galaxy with that know-how. They happily transport humans within the area they have been designated, but they also put strict limits within the agreement they have with humans, one among many being the prohibition of research into ftl travel.

Dakota Merrick is a machine head, a human with implants that were made illegal after a terrible attack that killed many innocent humans. She now does whatever work she can get using her ship, Piri Reis, although sometimes taking dangerous cargo to keep the money coming in. It is during a job like this that things go wrong and she must get out of the Sol system quickly and keep her head down. She gets work on board the Hyperion, working for the Freehold in what she is told is a scout mission searching for a new planet for them.

Lucas Corso is blackmailed into working for the Freehold, his specialist skills in Shoal computer language desperately desired. The Freehold have discovered a derelict ship, one with ftl capabilities, but not of Shoal origin. They hope to retrieve this ship and use it for what they hope will be a glorious victory over their enemies and the start of independent human expansion throughout the galaxy, all under their watchful eye. However, the Shoal have kept a secret for thousands of years and are prepared to protect it at all costs. Now that this derelict is discovered, that secret is at risk of being revealed.

The derelict found by the Freehold is the main focus of this novel and brings together all characters we meet. This means that the story is very well defined and doesn't wander needlessly, something that makes it so much more enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, there are some things bought up that I would like to know more about, but the story would suffer if they were included, mainly because they are more general aspects of the history and events rather than anything directly involved in the novel.

The characters are also well developed, with sections going back to the earlier life of Dakota explaining in more detail about the situation around Machine Heads. As we're constantly aware of how her type is viewed by the Freehold (and Consortium as a whole) there is always that question in the back of your mind of why she is treated like that. When the thread does conclude, we're fully aware of how the revelations will impact the story, perhaps a little obviously. However, the full revelation happens late enough in the story for it not to matter too much and most will probably figure it out before this anyway.

The other characters are mainly supporting ones, with the main focus being on Dakota. This actually helps the story move along at a steady pace as we're not getting too many viewpoints to the events. Although the stuff I read usually has multiple plot threads and character viewpoints, this was a refreshing change. A story that has such huge ideas and conveys them in a cast relatively small is a nice change, but this also shows great promise for the future novels following on from these events.

At the end of the day, I was mightily impressed with what Gary has done here. The change in his style and ability from Angel Stations is noticeable and very promising. This is a very enjoyable read and at times I was a real page turner. Perhaps a downside is the fact that the novel plays out pretty much as expected with no real surprises, just revelations that add to the experience and general feeling of the novel. I'll be adding Gary to my by on publication list now and eagerley look forward to the continuation of this story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average confusion, 13 Oct 2008
This is a strange read from beginning to end. The plot was either frustratingly obvious, with the characters piecing it together like a drunk attempting a jigsaw puzzle, or just confusing, with random leaps of logic. There were some great ideas in there, original and solid, but the delivery was a little off. It's also worth saying that I'd read the next in the trilogy, if only to find out what happens next as the ending a very abrupt (and a little daft). Not a bad holiday read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't compare to Hamilton, 29 July 2010
This review is from: Stealing Light (Hardcover)
After reading through these mixed reviews and deciding to buy the book and find out for myself. I've decided to pass on my thoughts.

First of all, don't buy the book expecting Hamilton, Banks or anyone of that ilk. As this is not the same scale, style or general read. However, it is entertaining, fairly fast paced, and a good overall idea (as mentioned before).

The main issue is it's just not as deep as other books I've read.

My advice would be not to expect too much and you "should" enjoy it. I've recently got into Neal Asher I would recommend him if you have finished most of Hamilton and Bank's work.

Hope this is helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, some problems, 28 Dec 2008
"Stealing Light" was a great read - I swept through it very quickly. The action moves through a series of settings, roughly aligned with the three parts of the book, and each setting is driven by different but overlapping concerns. The ending was good but seemed to be a rather sudden turn-around in the last page or two. I can't help but think that there was a better book lurking in here which weaves the plot strands a little more elegantly.

This might sound like a negative review but despite all this I really enjoyed the book and liked the ideas behind the plot. I felt the book had some resonances with themes in the "Babylon 5" TV series. I'll be trying one of Mr Gibson's other books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good on aliens; not so good on plot, 30 Sep 2009
David Weeden (UK) - See all my reviews
I got this from the library, somewhat tentatively, as I like space opera, but the cover didn't have any positive reviews. I read it very quickly, it's an easy read, and things keep happening. There's a nice moment early on where a character knows something of the backstory and seems to be about to reveal it to another character who instead has him assassinated. But that's how suspense works here: characters explain what's happening, and they're only kept for explaining even more by senseless violence.
There are many good points. I like the aliens: they're not humanoid, there aren't too many of them, their names (with one exception) are what we call them, rather than some silly attempt to invent alien sounding words (lots of xs, zs, etc). He doesn't explain how a bunch of fish who didn't invent fire came to rule the galaxy, but the big concepts - long-ago wars in the magellanic clouds, ftl being known to only one alien race are fun.
It's not a book that it's worth thinking about too much. It's better than an explanation will make it seem. How could one man decode all the programming on an alien starship in a few weeks? There's too much emphasis on implants controlling their wearer without that person's knowledge. I realise that the backstory here serves two purposes: it sets up tension between characters who end as allies, and it primes the reader for the main character being taken over again. But then it happens a third time, and my belief suspenders were getting a little overstretched.
Unlike another reviewer, I quite liked the writing, generally. I just hated the ending, which couldn't come soon enough. It was clear to me that Gibson had put too much work into this universe to leave it as a single novel, and that there had to be a sequel, so the protagonists were going to survive and carry on somehow.
But I'll read the next book, and in all probability the one(s) after that. If you get bored, you can always have fun trying to spot the influences/references. The Freehold seem to be partly based on the society in Heinlein's Starship Troopers, with a wink to the alternate universe of the Star Trek "Mirror, Mirror" episode, and perhaps some Klingon sociology. There's an alien homeworld travelling through the galaxy - shades of Niven's "Known Space."

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Story - but so badly written!, 3 Sep 2008
Diziet "I Like Toast" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The story is really strong and there are some excellent ideas here. The ending is also very good - I thought there would probably be some sort of 'get-out' but there wasn't - the characters have to live with the results of their actions.

But this book is just so badly written. The continual use of really over-the-top metaphor just reduces the whole thing to almost a pastiche of Flash Gordon - it is so 'gee-whizz' that it really started wearing me down. Yet I got through it - and I got through it because the ideas were so strong.

I think comparing it to early Alistair Reynolds is probably fair - but I actually got through this, whereas I simply gave up on Revelation Space. Give him his due, Reynolds has improved considerably since then. His latest - House of Suns - is a good read. So here's hoping Mr Gibson improves likewise.

What am I going to do when the next one comes out? Torn between the lure of some really powerful sci-fi ideas and the complete turn-off of a positively juvenile literary style; well, to be honest, I'll probably buy it. If you've ever read any early Alfred Bester (not including The Stars My Destination), you'll know that substance can definitely make up for form. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a truly great read... almost, 21 Mar 2011
Jon Gritton (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stealing Light (Shoal Sequence Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I'm always excited at finding a new author - especially one with at least 3 novels to look forward to - and the premise of Stealing Light, ancient technology discovered and explored, is one of my favourites. The writing is in my opinion nowhere near as bad as some reviewers have suggested and while some areas of the plot are rather obvious, they are not more so than many other well-received works.

My only criticisms would be that the book attempts a massive scope - a truly vast operatic scale - that perhaps becomes unwieldy and more complex than necessary in this first book of the sequence. I felt a more tightly focused, more closely edited and controlled approach would have increased the excitement and taken out some of the more 'slack' sections.

Yes, it would be easy to compare to other works utilising 'found' alien technology and interactions with alien races but these are common themes in science-fiction and should in my opinion be considered stock elements of the genre just as murder and deceit are stock elements of the crime novel.

I had no hesitation in downloading the sequel (Nova War (Shoal Sequence)) when I finished this first book and look forward to reading it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Impressive for a 2nd novel..., 9 Mar 2009
I'd say if you like Reynolds and Gibson then you'll like this.. Some reviewers are critical about the prose, and perhaps they have a point, but the ideas carry the book for me... the Shoal put me in mind of Niven's Puppeteers - which is pretty impressive for a new-ish author!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Stealing Light (Shoal Sequence Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Great ideas and story line. I have immediately started the next in the series. I like the idea of machine head's, people with massive computing power available to them in their head. I wonder what that would be like??The Shoal are a very interesting alien race. I think their's more to them than meets the eye and I can't wait to find out what's really going on!Looking forward to the next book.

Very enjoyable :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, bad execution, 28 Nov 2010
Andrew Swan (London) - See all my reviews
On a positive note there are some good ideas here, most of all the one underpinning the plot. Brain implants get an interesting treatment.

However, the book is too long for the amount of material it covers and the quality of the writing ranges between shoddy and adequate. Too much of the background is presented in a way that looks like it's the author's working notes, with dialogue and action added around it later. The characters are one-dimensional and the (female) main character is a tiresome exercise in wish-fulfillment for teenage boys. I didn't care about any of them and I had to make an effort to remember what was supposed to be motivating each of them. Also, while largely good, the main plot concept is a little too far-fetched but the characters seem to accept it without much question when they are presented with it.

Too much of it seemed very derivative: anyone who has not read Iain M Banks and Alistair Reynolds would do well to graduate to their work instead and read the same stuff (some of it almost identical, in fact) given a much better treatment.

I would have given the book two stars but for the fact that I plan to read the second in the sequence to see how it carries on and whether it improves: something in there must have interested me enough for it to deserve three stars.