5.0 out of 5 stars The only guide to the galaxy you'll ever need to read
There is just one reason why The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was voted into the BBC's Top One Hundred Books list, and that is because it is simply brilliant. It is a work of science fiction, but the humour contained within the story is not only incredibly witty, but also unusual within its chosen genre. Be prepared to susend your disbelief however, as the series of...
Published on 3 Dec 2003 by Victoria Craven

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird Science Fiction Classic
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is a 1979 science fiction novel by English author Douglas Adams. I own a paperback edition published in 2009 by Pan Books. It comes with various stickers to customize the cover.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is mainly set on spaceships and strange planets. I like how Douglas Adams describes the different...
Published 18 days ago by darklittlelady

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 24 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Meh, 3 April 2014
This review is from: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Volume One in the Trilogy of Five (Hitchhikers Guide 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really don't understand what'll the fuss is about I was generally bored with both the book and the film

2.0 out of 5 stars My journey with this book has been a drag, 29 Sep 2013
This book has been on my shelf for years. I remember buying it one year together with other top British books recommended from all ages. I picked it up with high hopes, expecting a real probe into big questions and issues, approached by humours and wits. Yet it was such a drag to finish the book. The story is loose, scattered everywhere with no clear direction or purpose. The author's mind seemed to be confused about God himself. He took a mockery at God and faith, and yet the climax of the book was to say that earth was being made and carved! even though it was not by "God". He seemed to say that earth and planets could not have happened by accident or randomness, so he fabricated a planet which had the technology to manufacture planets as a high-end industry in the galaxy, turning creation into a business concept.

I found the book boring; I finished the book because I generally do not like leaving things unfinished. It was slightly interesting two-thirds into the book when the question about life, the universe and everything came up. Like everyone in that story, I was held in suspense. I was expecting something genius in the "answer" so found. Towards the end, when the "answer" was revealed, I felt cheated, like everyone else in the book. Luckily I did not have to wait for seven and a half million years for such an answer, but just a few turn of the pages to the end. Still the experience was underwhelming. It shows that the author knew nothing, held no answers to the questions he had liked to ask.

There are humours here and there but the effort is not consistent, and unrelated snapshots here and there do not make a good story, which is about flow, coherence and development. Like the title has suggested, the book is aimless. To me this is intolerable, but perhaps this accurately reflects the author's state of mind and philosophy, which I believe is epitomised in the dialogue between Arthur and Slartibarfast.

"You know," said Arthur thoughtfully, "all this explains a lot of things. All through my life I've had this strange unaccountable feeling that something was going on in the world, something big, even sinister, and no one would tell me what it was."

"No," said the old man, "that's just perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe has that."

"Everyone?" said Arthur. "Well, if everyone has that perhaps it means something! Perhaps somewhere outside the Universe we know..."

"Maybe. Who cares?" said Slartibartfast before Arthur got too excited. "Perhaps I'm old and tired," he continued, "But I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway."

....

"Where's the sense in that?" he said, "None that I've been able to make out. I've been doing fjords all my life. For a fleeting moment they became fashionable and I get a major award."

....

"What does it matter? Science has achieved some wonderful things, of course, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No. That's where it all falls down, of course."
"Pity," said Arthur with sympathy. "It sounded like quite a good lifestyle otherwise." (p.160-161)

Perhaps the brilliance of the book, if any, may have been in its capture of this pitiful existence of life probably felt by many? That may be why this book is liked because it has said what many would have liked to say? Unfortunately this is not my worldview and I do not share this sentiment. If this is true to life, it is downright depressing. If this is life without God, the author has not sold it very well, but at least he is honest, and for that, it is commendable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hitchhiker Guide....., 19 Feb 2013
Whimsical fun, ahead of it's time in 1979 but a bit dated in cynical 2013, ........a bit like Monty Python

3.0 out of 5 stars ok story, 13 Jan 2013
Mr. Malcolm Parnaby (Thirsk England) - See all my reviews
It is funny in places but i found it hard work especially after first couple of chapters, glad i did'nt buy the trilogy

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bar the last two books, 11 July 2010
As per the title. The black humour and cynicism in the book displayed is so incredibly clever and memorable that you can't but help go back and read this again and again.

However by the 4th book in this complilation it starts to run out of steam in a big way that you ought to put the book down at this point as the comedy has been overlaboured and over used far too many times by then almost using injokes you'd heard from many books ago.

3.0 out of 5 stars Must read it again, 21 May 2012
I had been meaning to read this novel for many years since it has had very good reviews. Perhaps I was expecting too much since, to me, it was not remotely funny or entertaining. However, I do intend to read it again since , perhaps, I missed something first time around. Maybe you have to be into Science Fiction to enjoy it. I am a realist rather than a romantic and have never seen or 'been into' e.g. Star Wars or Star Trek films. Am I missing something?

3.0 out of 5 stars Best to buy all 5 together, 30 April 2012
I. M. Dias (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Funny, well written and original, this book is great. The reason for the 3 stars is the edition. If you buy all 5 together you spend less.

4.0 out of 5 stars The weirdest book ever!, 30 Dec 2007
I have never read any of Douglas Adams books before; I found this book strange and a bit unusual. But I still enjoyed the story based on an Earthling called Arthur Dent, who wakes up one morning to find the council preparing to demolish his home. This is also the day when the alien Vogons demolish the planet Earth to make way for a hyperspace express bypass.
I decided to watch the film which I thought was good, but the book is in much more detail than the film. So I would recommend you read the book before you watch the film.
If you are somebody that enjoys funny and unusual things then this is the book for you. I think this book would mainly be aimed towards young teenagers and older as it has some things in it, which might be a bit hard for a child to understand. When I read and watched the Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy I felt like I was there, watching the Earth being demolished by the alien Vogons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guide to Hitchhickers, 16 May 2003
By A Customer
I recently read hitchhickers guide to the galaxy and it was fantastic.Douglas Adams uses a blend of interesting characters, wonderful humour and a very original plot to create a sci-fi classic. The main character, Arthur Dent ends up on a spaceship powered by an improbability drive(don't ask) along with his alien friend Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillian and Marvin the paranoid android.
This book is neither deep nor thought provoking but is hilarious and perfect if you are looking for a light, entertaining read.
One of the best books I have read in a long time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me..., 30 May 2012
I'm glad so many people have enjoyed this book. The rave reviews and cult status of the Hitchhiker's Guide persuaded me to read the first volume. I'm among the minority, however, who can't see much in it. There's not even any semblance of a story until almost half way through this short novel. It's not particularly funny either; more groan-worthy. Having said that, I enjoyed the brief appearances of the paranoid android, and 42 is probably as good an answer as any to the question of the meaning of life.

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 24 | Next ›