5.0 out of 5 stars Wilbur Smith - Master of Action Yet Again
I've been an avid follower of Wilbur Smith for many years now and i'm glad to say that this book lived up to my very high expectations of him.
Published on 3 Mar 2004 by ruscoe37

3.0 out of 5 stars Monsoon Not One of Smith's Best Novells
As I have just finished reading this book, I am left with different emotions. First off; Smith's novells are of very high standard. I may say that I have still not read any low quality from his hand. Wilbur Smith plays in the high league! Monsoon was, however, not of his best achievements. Young Dorian's betrayal of his Godly faith, family and country, doesn't fit in...
Published on 14 Feb 2000 by Daniel Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilbur Smith - Master of Action Yet Again, 3 Mar 2004
This review is from: Monsoon (Paperback)
Whilst writing this review I don't want to ruin any of the immense enjoyment that the reader should get from reading this book, so I won't write anyting about what happens. Instead I'll try to set the picture of what the reader should come to expect from such a fine book:
This book should come with a warning sticker on the cover - "MAY SERIOUSLY AFFECT SLEEPING PATTERNS" - I just couldn't put it down and often ended up reading till the 'wee small hours of the morning'. Action, romance, death, scandal; this book has it all...and more.
'Monsoon' starts off at a fast pace and maintains the momentum throughout. Ranging from the South coast of England to the plains of Africa, deserts of Asia and the seas of the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, Wilbur Smith manages to set the picture for all of these locations beautifully.
It's been a while since I read a book that can make the hairs stand on end and not since 'When The Lion Feeds" have i felt so shocked and saddened by the death of a fictional character. The way Wilbur draws the reader to one conclusion then throws a totally different one back at them is amazing.
Wilbur got the fine line between a fast paced read and allowing the reader to understand and follow the numerous plots in this fine book just right. The only bad thing that I can possibly say about 'Monsoon' is that it actually came to an end; I can't wait till his next release. I can't praise this book enough; the best book of an excellent bunch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!! Captivating!! I became addicted to this book., 14 Oct 2001
L. Wells "LWells" (Derbyshire England) - See all my reviews
What a book, I became so engrossed in this that I found myself reading it in any spare moment I had.
I found myself almost living the emotions of Tom and Dorian Courtney, so brilliant is this tale told by the ever brilliant Wilbur Smith. Make sure you read Birds of prey first though.

5.0 out of 5 stars So real you feel like you've shared the adventure!, 7 Sep 2000
This review is from: Monsoon (Paperback)
This story of high adventure demonstrates Wilbur Smith's unique ability to enthral the reader. The much-loved characters of "Birds of Prey" return for another instalment of the Courtney family history which introduces the next worthy generation of the saga. With the book's exploration of filial obligation and brotherly love, long-lost siblings Tom and Dorian find their fates intermingled within the omnipresent force that is the continent of Africa. This unexplored wilderness proves a metaphor for the spirits of the main characters. A book that I couldn't wait to finish but also one that left me disappointed at the prospect of returning to reality after the all-encompassing sense of place and atmosphere that I became submerged within. I am already waiting anxiously for the next novel and eager to read about the characters who will seem like old friends. My only criticism would be the slightly formulaic structure of the novel reminiscent of its forerunner. However, this could be justified by the expression "like father, like sons." All together, a vibrant and exciting novel that takes the reader through the emotional spectrum. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Adventure-Action Book Ever, 13 Sep 2003
This review is from: Monsoon (Paperback)
This book has to be the best i've read. The descriptions are so vivid, the plot breathtaking, the characters enchanting, the history so precise. This book resumes all sorts of human feelings, battles, passion, love, greed, hate, corruption. The battle scenes are fantastically described yet at the same time are deeply emotional. The story of four brothers, the hate dviding them. I have lived another lifetime through this book, and have travelled half the world through its description, i have yet to find another that can write as well as Wilbur Smith. If you re looking for an adventure book, with action, love, and not too much philosophy or whatsoever, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This has got to be the best book I have ever read so far., 3 July 2001
This review is from: Monsoon (Paperback)
Wilbur Smith has gone full blast with this wonder. It is fantastic, from the beginning until the end this novel captivated me. Smith has an annoying habit of recreating the same story but with a slightly different backdrop. This novel has the familiar character formula but its scenary is outstanding. Transported to the 1800's when sea was the only way to travel, this story carries you along its journeying from England to South Africa and beyond. The enchanting tale of the prophecy awaiting a flame haired boy is incredible, whilst the remaining subplots weave in and out of each other like traffic in a busy street in Italy - with as much danger and suspense. All in all a great story - I can't wait until I fall upon another story as enthralling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 27 April 1999
By A Customer
MONSOON is a feast of a spellbinding story of the heroic days of tall ships, written with immense beauty of style. The finely chiselled characters and details jump at you from the pages, enthralling, ever moving on. It's a rare feat of reading pleasure as your mind paints for you a breathtaking vision that rings true and could never be matched by film or any other media. I read this novel, never once having the urge to watch TV. When I finally turned the last page I felt a deep loss that I had come to the end of the book. I hope Wilbur Smith is busy with his next book, I can't wait. MONSOON makes out of any reluctant reader of novels a consummate bookworm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 1 July 2004
This review is from: Monsoon (Paperback)
This book is totally captivating - the research and detail is just amazing! It is the first Wilbur Smith book I read - I just saw it laying about one day at work, read the first line and could not put it down! I love the way he writes, he is so passionate and raw and in turn the characters are the same.This book really makes you crave adventure and experience the mysticism and awe of the 18th century.
I would personally like to thank Wilbur Smith for creating Tom Courtney because I am totally in love with him!

4.0 out of 5 stars The next generation, 4 Aug 2014
Dave (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Monsoon (The Courtneys Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
This is the second in the series of the Courtneys and introduces the new generation, the sons of Sir Hal. As well as being a journey across the oceans and parts of Africa these novels are also a journey through time as the old guard die of and the youngsters come to the fore.

So in this book we discover Sir Hal's four sons William, Tom, Guy and Dorian and their own adventures. Rather than spoil the book suffice it to say that they all take different paths and each brings his own character to the novel.

I am finding that it is typical of Smith to tell of unlikely feats of daring told in a very lengthy way. I think his motto must be why use ten words when a hundred or thousand can be used.

At over 600 pages it is too long and I found myself skipping some pages but nevertheless it is still a good read. Onto Blue Horizon now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Sep 2006
M. Lawrence "Michelle" (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monsoon (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by Smith and I thought it was superb. I must admit I had my doubts during the first few chapters but then the action started and didn't stop until the end! If I could read it all at once I would have, I really couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rip-roaring!, 3 Dec 2007
B. J. Madeley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monsoon (Paperback)
Monsoon is by far the best novel by Wilbur Smith that I have read. It is an epic generation-spanning tale of war, violence, love, lust, deceit and despair, all rolled in to one. It's an endlessly gripping novel that follows the Courtney boys through childhood into manhood, through England, Africa into the Middle East and back to Africa again. Smith manages to paint a vivid picture of many different lands, cultures and personalities with apparent ease.

In my eyes, this novel stands apart from others by Smith, it is great escapism and a terrific read. Whether your a fan of Wilbur Smith or not, this is worth buying. At times I have been dissapointed by his books, but I certainly wasn't on this occasion.

Definitely worth your time and money!!!

Monsoon (The Courtneys Book 10)