on 18 July 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Alan (from the UK) has provided a top-notch review of this USB stick - thank you Alan! So as I don't want to repeat what he has said, I won't go into lots of detail about this product. Instead, I will keep it short and sweet! This USB is well-made, robust, small, and has a tight-fitting cap (a must for me!). The hole to attach it to a keyring is located on the main body of the USB stick, which is important in case the cap does fall off (I have seen some USB sticks that have this hole in the cap - why? LOL!). It's 'plug & play' so no drivers needed. We are running Windows Vista on our desktop and Windows 7 on our laptop and have had absolutely no problems at all using this USB stick with both operating systems. The technical specifications (according to the packaging) are as follows:

INTERFACE: USB 2.0, can also be connected to USB 1.1
DATA RETENTION: Up to 10 years
DIMENSIONS: 6.4 x 1.8 x 1 cm (with cap)
WEIGHT: 9 g
POWER REQUIREMENTS: USB powered (4.4V - 5.5V)
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS PC: USB 2.0 or 1.1 port, Windows XP / VIsta / 7
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS MAC: USB 2.0 or 1.1 port, Mac OS X v. 10.4 or higher

Yes, this USB stick is a few £s more expensive than most of the other 4GB USB sticks out there at the moment, but I am happy to pay that tiny bit extra to gain the quality and reliability this product gives.
on 14 October 2012
Worked perfectly straight out of the packet which I know from past experience from other manufacturers is not always the case.

I have latterly always used Freecom databars and have not been disappointed.

I can't believe you can still get something like this for such a ridiculously small amount of money. Absolutely delighted with this product. Seller despatched promptly too.
VINE VOICEon 23 June 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The exhaustively named "34536 DataBar 4GB USB Flash Stick" from Freecom is a USB flash drive that offers 4GB of data storage. I'd never actually heard of Freecom until I got this product, but it turns out they're a German company that's been making computer peripherals since 1989! All of their products are "designed, engineered and certified in Germany" and they promise "innovative german quality". Read the small print though and you'll see they're really "made in Taiwan".

The DataBar is basically a small rectangular bar, with a glossy black plastic finish. With its cap on it measures a very compact 5.5 x 1.8 x 0.8 cm and with its cap off just 5.3 x 1.8 x 0.8 cm. The cap protects the USB connector from damage and contamination, but once removed cannot be reattached to the opposite end of the drive, a feature that most competitors offer. In terms of its size, the DataBar sits in-between the Kingston DataTraveler and the SanDisk Cruzer Micro; smaller than the Kingston but larger and thicker than the SanDisk.

Seamlessly integrated into the body of the DataBar is a small 3 mm diameter hole. You can use this for either threading the drive onto a keyring, or for hanging it from a lanyard, necklace or wrist strap. I'd recommend you attach it something, to increase the visibility of the DataBar and to save it from ending up in your washing machine!

This particular model of DataBar has a capacity of 4GB, indicated by a white "4" on the grey band that wraps around it. What 4GB means is that it can store four gigabytes of computer data; the equivalent of 2777 floppy disks or five CD-Rs. That's 4000 PDFs, 2000 JPG photos or 500 AAC audio files on something smaller than your little finger! Freecom claim the DataBar can retain files for up to 10 years, which is an adequate amount of time, but renders it unsuitable for long-term data storage. What it's really designed for is quickly storing and sharing current data, not archiving it away for decades.

Connect the DataBar to a Mac or PC and you'll discover it isn't completely empty. Cheekily it comes pre-loaded with one CarryItEasy.exe file, as well as two folders: Safety Manuals and User Manuals. Fortunately, unlike SanDisk's U3 software, these files can be easily removed and trashed in one click. The drive comes formatted as MS-DOS (FAT32) which means it's immediately ready to use with Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger, as well as Windows 7, Vista and XP.

Overall I like the Freecom DataBar. It has a clean, simple design, which isn't overly fussy or tacky like the Kingston DataTraveler. It doesn't have a distracting status light, unlike the SanDisk Cruzer Micro, which flashes bright orange while connected. It's not super cheap like the Kingston DataTraveler, but it really does offer "german quality" at a reasonable price. I recommend it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great data stick, one from a well know respected company, I remember them making CDROM's and recorders which were very well made.

I have used the stick for photo's and documents and it does everything as it should.

I like the idea that I can attach it in the same way I can a key ring, which is ideal when visiting family who want to see out pictures etc.
The data stick also has data safe software which links you to a website.

I very well made product that I am very pleased with.
VINE VOICEon 19 June 2010
To be honest this is a functional, not particularly appealing piece of kit. It does what it says on the tin but that's pretty much it. Okay so maybe you're not that bothered about how a USB stick should look but this one is plasticy, black and has the Freecom logo plastered all over it. It also has an eminently loseable cap that, yes, I've already lost. Or the cat did. Anyway.

A lot of my students have sticks like this and by the end of the first semester there's a box of them collecting in the warden's office having been lost, found, but never claimed. I'd go for a bigger capacity, something a bit easier to describe to people if you do lost it (or that's less likely to be lost in the first place) and with a better cap.
For functionality, four stars, but it really is very plasticy and forgettable.
on 13 July 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the fourth Freecom Databar I own.
It is used with windows XP.
So far I have been nothing but impressed
with their reliability.

The design is spot on. It's well constructed,
and has a tight fitting dust proof cap.
It also has a hole for a key chain.
This one does not have a led light flash when
in use like my previous ones.

I have always been happy with my Freecom products,
and highly recommend them.
on 25 October 2010
This data bar is so easy to use. Just plug it in and away you go. It is very neat and easy to carry around in your pocket or bag. I will be buying more of these.