on 4 July 2001
This is a great book! It's about Mia Thermopolis, a normal, American, 14-year-old girl, who's main worry in life is the fact no one's ever asked her out and her mum is dating her algebra teacher. That is, until her dad tells her she's actually the Princess of Genovia! This causes lots of problems - she has to have a bodyguard with her, she loses her best friend, and she has to take "princess lessons" with her grandmother, who she loathes! The book is written in the form of Mia's journal, which also includes lists of things to do and algebra notes. This is a great book and I can't wait to get the sequel!
on 25 June 2009
I started reading this series (10 books in total) to my daughter when she was about 6. They are a thoroughly good read and we both enjoyed the first few books. However as the series progresses and Princess Mia gets older, the themes become a little more adult. I found myself by about book 6/7 editing paragraphs whilst reading, and just as my daughter was happy to be reading alone, I found myself insisting that I read to her!! Needless to say I read the final few books to myself (they really are quite gripping!) and they are now sat on the shelf waiting for my daughter to grow a little older. - Maybe early teens.........
on 10 May 2002
The Princess Diaries, written by Meg Cabot,is a humouress novel based on the diaries of Mia Thermopolis.
One minute Mia is a totally normal girl in Manhatten, New York; next she is the heir to the throne of of Genovia and discovers her original name is 'Amelia Migonette Grimaldi thermopolis Renaldo'!
To make things worse her strict Grandmother has arrived in town with princess lessons for Mia on her schedule!
One of the most memorable parts of this book is the night of the Cultural Diversity Dance,but does Mia get a date?
on 17 September 2001
... at first I was skeptical. Skeptisism comes natrually when reading a sequel. Rest assured, this is one not to miss. It starts out right where Princess Diaries left off. Mia is just realizing the reality that she is a pricess. What now? Her mother announces that she is pregnant with Mia's Algebra teacher's child. Perfect. Not only does Mia have to deal with that burdon, but also that of a nasty cold. Who wants a cold when about to be interviewd by America's top journalist, Beverly Belerieve? As if life could get any worse, Mia has to deal with the fact that she has a secret admirer who just can't be the person she wants it to be. Unlike most books, Princess Diaries: Take Two matches, if not beats it's perquel. Also, Ms. Cabot truly knows how to capture the spirit of Mia and bring it to life. I am in almost exactly the same situation as this protagonist, minus the princess part.
on 3 September 2001
When Mia finds out she's a princess she thinks it so unfair. Why does she have to be the girl with no dates, a mum who dates her algebra teacher and now she's a princess! Just when life can't get any worse..... it does. She and her best friend have a huge fight and aren't talking. Can things get any worse?.
This is such a great book any teenage girl should read it- it is so funny!
on 12 November 2003
My friend was the one who recommended i read this book and i have to thank her, simply because it appeared to be the most amazing book i've ever read!
It brings out facts of real life. It has some funny parts that may make you laugh and some others that will surely make you want to read more and more.
The main caracter(Mia), who is just a girl from San Fransisco, suddenly finds out that she's a princess.(she freaked out a little, but in the end she accepted it). Moreover, her mother ends up marrying her Algebra teacher and Mia has also a secret admirrer!
So, if you love reading romantic, humorous and kind of adventurous books, i think this is exactly what you are looking for.
I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS I DID!!!
on 27 February 2005
I was rather surprised after reading this book my mother had bought me as part of a collection for christmas. I had read the first one and found it exciting but not as smart and funny as the second.
If you have seen the films you might be a bit confussed, Mia's father is still alive and she has been having Princess lessons since she was 7. Beside these facts I was extremely hooked to this book and loved every word that Meg cabot has used. I truly loved this one an couldn't put this book down, I was quite excited to even go to bed and read it!
Thanks for reading my comments and I hope you, like me, try to finish the rest of the series.
on 4 September 2015
So the Princess Diaries have a new cover and I like it. I feel it shows how Mia should look like in comparison to the original covers with her orange bob hair thing.

This my childhood (OK my early teens) book and it was brilliant! It showed you didn’t have to be the best at everything to get on with life, and sometimes things are not always quite what they seem.

Most people would love the idea of being a princess, of being royal – a Disney fairytale come true. But not Mia, this is a step too far for her. She is already considered a freak at school and this goes one step too far – how much more can she take? But somehow her royal news gets leaked and now Mia has to deal with being ‘popular’ and her tyrannical grandmother – forget the film version Mia’s grandmother is not as loveable as you might think!

Mia has to mature as the year progresses – can she learn all about what it means to be a princess, cope with the make-overs and soften her Grandmere. All while remaining herself and bagging the boy?

Written as a journal, this is a funny, witty read with shows Mia as the typically over-active, hyper teen she is. Worrying about the whales, wanting to join Greenpeace and wondering what her classmates will think of her.

For those of you who didn’t read originally, where were you?! And for you lot yet to have a chance, go read! This is pure joy to read and you won’t find out what you have missed till you have read and regretted past opportunities!
on 19 August 2015
Personally, I loved this book.

The Princess Diaries is a very famous series by Meg Cabot, and the Disney film is highly loved by everyone. However, after reading the first book again, I decided to re-read the second book and found myself loving it even more then before. Honestly, when I was younger and I read this: I wasn't thrilled. However, now I can admit that I loved it.

The Princess Diaries: Princess In The Spotlight is the second book in the series and is even more relatable then the first one. Mia is still balancing her life of being a princess as well as being 'normal'. Now that everyone knows she is a princess, she has to deal with fake friends, harsh enemies and even her homework: which she is not thrilled about. However, Mia thinks she doesn't have to keep anything else secret, ever again! But she soon later discovers that her mum is pregnant with Mia's teachers baby and that they're getting married! Mia, being a proud daughter and a loving sibling-to-be supports this but has to continue living her stress filled life as well as keeping her mum safe too. When plans get out of hand, Mia finds herself being bewildered and tempted with pretty dresses, over her mums happiness. And if that doesn't seem like enough: Mia has started receiving love letters from a mystery man, and she hopes it can only be one person...

Although I am not a princess, this book is very relatable. Meg Cabot has highlighted and portrayed the life of a teenage girl beautifully and all the struggles. Of course, we don't all have to walk around with our own body guards, but the princess-y side of it all seems almost humorous, so you just chuckle and continue with the book. Again, there are very bold and relatable characters with a lot of truth and reality behind each persons personality. I constantly read the characters personalities and found myself thinking of someone I once knew. Meg Cabot also has successfully highlighted how a girl would feel towards a boy when she is going through the awkward stages of growing-up-and-still-not-having-a-boyfriend.

A funny book which can be relatable for everyone. The short witty journal entries are enough to make you want to turn the page all over again!
on 1 August 2015
Title: The Princess Diaries
Series: The Princess Diaries (#1)
Author: Meg Cabot
From: Netgalley
Genre: Young Adult
Release Date: 25th June 2015 (Re-release)
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, COYER Scavenger Hunt
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Mia Thermopolis thinks that she's just a normal teenage girl, with normal teenage problems. Until she discovers that her father is actually the Prince of a small European principality and that she is the sole heir to his throne. Now forced to attend Princess Lessons with her Grandmère and enduring a feud with her best friend, Lily, Mia has to learn to live life as an 'out' royal. Meaning more attention, body guards and brand new haircut.

This month is a month of re-reads apparently. I have to say that I am loving it! Just like re-reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone earlier in the month, rereading The Princess Diaries took me back into a world I already knew.

I couldn't help but notice that I picked up on different things while reading The Princess Diaries, like it completely slipped my attention previously that Mia could speak fluent French (which does make sense!) or that she actually liked her new haircut. I liked discovering more things about Mia!

Even though I had read the book before I found myself completely engrossed in the story, I really didn't want to put it down and found myself laughing aloud at some of Mia's comments and some of her antics. Even knowing where the story was going I still found it enjoyable!

I loved revisiting my reading past, and with this series being re-released I may find myself doing it more!