5.0 out of 5 stars Little Beauty
Published on 21 Aug 2009 by A. Mortimore

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great initially...
Published on 20 Sep 2009 by Ms. N. Penty

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great initially..., 20 Sep 2009
Ms. N. Penty (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love the way these radios look and this DAB version is fab, with extra functions such as pause plus which lets u pause radio for upto 17 minutes. However, despite incredibly careful cleaning and handling, the 'leather' is slowly peeling away in many places which is annoying to say the least, when you consider its price and the quality you would expect from a roberts radio. If i were to buy this radio again i would consider one of the hard plastic coated varieties that they now do.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE!, 26 July 2014
Over the years I've bought many different products off Amazon and have been very happy with most all of them, see my other reviews.. I didn't actually buy my Roberts RD60 from Amazon but owing to the disappointing experience I've had with this particular purchase I felt I had to warn others not to get caught out the way I did. As has been mentioned in many other people's reviews of this radio. When you first get the radio out of the box it looks like a gorgeous well made classic styled Roberts radio. A harken back to a time when you could buy quality products that were built to last.. On closer inspection, however, you'll find when you open the back that the actual radio part of the set up is a tiny set of components stuffed near the top of the box with a cheap looking plastic compartment to hold the batteries.. Nil Desperandum I thought I'll persevere with it. Maybe despite the lack of quality components inside the sound would be okay? Unfortunately for a close on 150 radio this was not the case.. Music sounded thin as if it were being played on a really cheap transistor radio from the old days. Which with hindsight I guess it was. The vocals on radio four being it's only real saving grace. After about a week of careful ownership, I hardly ever actually touched the body of the radio I noticed bits of the what looked like cheap thin plastic covering were peeling off leaving ugly white cut marks in the dark green of the covering.. It gets worse.. I had the radio for a little over two years only having it switched on for an hour or so per day to listen to the aforementioned Radio Four. Went to turn it on one day and nothing, no light nothing.. Tried a different lead and still no joy... For the first time in my over 50 years of life I sent an email to Roberts complaining about my experience with one of their so called prestigious quality products.. After a few hours I received a reply from Roberts suggesting that I should use batteries and the adaptor lead is probably at fault. Of course this isn't the case as I've already tried out another lead that I know to be working on it... I've told Roberts this and so far I've received no reply.. I do note however, that there are several of this model for sale as faulty on a very popular auction site... I'm not living in hope on this one I'm afraid.... Buy one buy half dozen if you wish but that was and is my personal experience of this product and companies customer service department... Needless to say the replacement for my Roberts RD60 will not be getting purchased from Roberts nor will it be a Roberts radio... Good luck.. Peter L.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Beauty, 21 Aug 2009
A. Mortimore "Fortysomething" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
My wife bought me this little beauty for Christmas 3 years ago when I was looking for a radio to go in my workshop. The build standard and feel of the radio is superb, it's built like the proverbial brick outhouse and the leather covering gives it a real feel of quality - more than capable of withstanding the extremes of a dusty woodwork shop. The controls are simple to use and the pause/playback/rewind facility is excellent - used mostly when I miss a news bulletin due to machinery being in use. On first listening through the built in mono speaker the quality of the sound was okay - nothing fancy but no distortion whatsoever on either the DAB or FM system. It wasn't until I hooked it up to a small stereo using the line out facility that it showed just how good it was. Love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the radio - disappointed when the covering peeled off, 6 Mar 2011
I'm a radio addict and have a radio in every room in my house, so I was very excited when I splashed out on a cream Roberts DAB Revival radio for the kitchen. It looked great - yes, a tone adjustment contol would have been appreciated, however my psyche was set to accomodate this omission.
Imagine my disappointment when 18 months later, the covering started to peel off. The radio was always in the same place - not in sunlight, and never cleaned with chemicals (never cleaned at all actually!) So Why? and why hasn't this happened to everyone?
I must say I threw it away as I couldn't bear to look at it. I did think of contacting Roberts but I no longer had proof of purchase, and the radios were still on sale, so it was unlikely it was a general problem.
I still have three Roberts radios including an old valve model - now if you're talking sound quality, that wins hands down. But I did replace the kitchen one with a Pure Evoke Mia - it looks and sounds great, and to date still has it's smart cladding intact.
Wake up Roberts - you set the bench mark for quality radios - make sure you live up to it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks fantastic - but build quality and sound quality disappoint, 22 Mar 2009
Mr. M. Kay (England) - See all my reviews
My piano teacher had one of the original Roberts radios on which this set is based and I always admired it. Despite the lack of features, I ordered one expecting great things.

Although the radio looks fantastic, I'm afraid that serious build quality issues were immediately apparent once I took the set out of the box. Roberts don't seem to have adjusted the tolerances of the hinged back to take account of the fact that this version does not have the leatherette covering of the standard model, causing the fitting of the back to be quite loose. The set rattled as it was carried.

More seriously, it made a constant buzzing noise on certain mid range frequencies, which was really annoying to listen to - quite unacceptable for a radio of this price. The front grill was also loose and the packaging is poor (the set is far too tightly packed - take care getting it out of the box and mind that you don't get the sticky from the handle's packing cover on the actual handle as you remove it.)

The sound quality unfortunately is quite dull and although I knew that there were no tone controls on this model (why ever not?), I had hoped this wouldn't have been a problem, but it is. The volume is adequate - turning it up increased the amount of buzzing emanating from the case, but I only listen at modest volume levels anyway.

I returned the set to Roberts themselves as I was unhappy to pay the return postage - they paid for this following an email. They sent me another set, though not with any speed. Unfortunately the second set also had build quality issues. Although the back was a tighter fit (is still wasn't a good fit) some buzzing could still be heard if I turned the volume a little louder than I use. However this set had a constant 'chirpy, squealing' sound coming from the internal electronics themselves - this was constant and could still be heard if you turned the volume off completely - it was too loud to ignore and wouldn't go away. I returned the radio to KK Electronics, who gave me a full and immediate refund. I really wanted to like this radio and I admired the looks despite the lack of features and the high price.

I have now bought a Pure One Elite instead. This is a truly excellent radio - solid build quality, no rattles, very clear well balanced stereo sound (the Roberts set is mono), it also has tone controls, is DAB+ ready, can have software upgrades via the USB connector, has the ability to rewind up to 15 minutes, 50 presets and an optional rechargeable battery pack which fits inside the set on a fit and forget basis. It also has a 2 year warranty. Whilst it is an ordinary design, it looks a lot nicer than in the pictures (the smooth rubber surface is really quite classy). The fact that it was almost exactly a third of the price of the Roberts set is another bonus. The Pure is a truly excellent radio - with good reception, build and sound quality. If I sound like an advert, I'm sorry - it is a really nice radio though!

I have no links with either Pure or Roberts at all. But feel that the Pure radio is so much better. At its price it is also a bargain. Sorry Roberts, this one you lose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying retro, 14 Sep 2009
Pendog (Stoke Poges, Bucks, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A few years ago I bought one of the earliest Roberts DAB radios (model RD-1) and have been rather disappointed in its sound quality, which is slightly muffled. When its electronic tuning started to malfunction I decided it was time for a replacement, and the RD60 caught my eye.

The design imitates the iconic retro Roberts style, yet the DAB technology and range of available stations is firmly contemporary. The sound quality is very good and to my mind noticeably better than the RD-1 (though still mono) and the controls easy to use. The full range of digital stations is available but selected stations can be added to a 'favourites' list to avoid excessive scrolling through unwanted stations. FM stations are also available. There is an input jack so that you can play an MP3 player through the radio and there is also an earphone jack. An on-line version of the instruction manual is available on the Roberts website for those who wish to see full operating details before purchasing.

I am very happy with this radio. The main drawback compared with the RD-1 is that only one line of station information is available. Scrolling is therefore necessary and could be smoother with better quality lettering, but this is a very minor criticism. There is also no capability for record/replay or SD card recording, but this is not a feature that I particularly need and hardly ever used on the RD-1. If you are looking for a DAB digital radio with good sound quality, no frills and a sixties style this could be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice radio, 5 April 2011
I. Caswell "La polyglotte-globe-trotter" (Gironde, France) - See all my reviews
Hopefully this one will work properly !!! I had a problem with the previous one a month after buying it (On/Off button broken) but the return service from Amazon is very reliable and quick ! Bravo !
No problem so far with this one. Long live to Roberts Radios !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 16 July 2010
Radio is great, it was a gift and she loves it. It was sent very quickly, would recommend

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 3 years..., 7 Jun 2010
MuttleyP (South Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
While it worked, this was a fairly good DAB radio with great looks (hence 2 stars). However, after 3 years of light use, it stopped working having lost the ability to amplify the sound from either the speaker or the earphone socket.

Roberts wanted 68 plus outward P&P for a repair, which is a shocking amount to be asked to pay to rectify a manufacturing fault in a supposedly premium product. This radio should have lasted more than 3 years given the original 150 cost.

I wouldn't recommend this product and will be avoiding others from Roberts in the future. If you're going to charge premium prices you should offer premium customer service should things go wrong. The customer service you get from Roberts is as "retro" as this radio looks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality casing, 3 Aug 2010
I have also had issue with the poor quality of the 'leather' casing and strap of this radio. This is really not the quality that you would expect for such an expensive radio. I am very disappointed with mine and have contacted Roberts who have asked us to send it to them. All very well, but we do not have the original box and the problem is the leather is coming off despite very careful useage. Goodness knows how it would fare in the post even if wrapped. My advice would be not to buy a Roberts Revival Radio. Choose another type.