5.0 out of 5 stars Little Beauty
Published on 21 Aug. 2009 by A. Mortimore

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great initially...
Published on 20 Sept. 2009 by Ms. N. Penty

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great initially..., 20 Sept. 2009
Ms. N. Penty (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love the way these radios look and this DAB version is fab, with extra functions such as pause plus which lets u pause radio for upto 17 minutes. However, despite incredibly careful cleaning and handling, the 'leather' is slowly peeling away in many places which is annoying to say the least, when you consider its price and the quality you would expect from a roberts radio. If i were to buy this radio again i would consider one of the hard plastic coated varieties that they now do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Radio is fine, but the cover peels every time I touch ..., 2 Nov. 2014
Radio is fine, but the cover peels every time I touch it! It is now so bad that I decided to try and get the rest off - it scrapes of with my nails? Definate design fault - looks odd, but at least I have not got little bits of the covering coming off any more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Beauty, 21 Aug. 2009
A. Mortimore "Fortysomething" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
My wife bought me this little beauty for Christmas 3 years ago when I was looking for a radio to go in my workshop. The build standard and feel of the radio is superb, it's built like the proverbial brick outhouse and the leather covering gives it a real feel of quality - more than capable of withstanding the extremes of a dusty woodwork shop. The controls are simple to use and the pause/playback/rewind facility is excellent - used mostly when I miss a news bulletin due to machinery being in use. On first listening through the built in mono speaker the quality of the sound was okay - nothing fancy but no distortion whatsoever on either the DAB or FM system. It wasn't until I hooked it up to a small stereo using the line out facility that it showed just how good it was. Love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, but only on day of purchase., 8 Oct. 2013
I bought mine some years ago, the first one I took back as he plastic leather look covering tore within a few days. Unfortunately this was a sign of things to come and it has continued to tear, now resembling an extra from a horror movie, it now looks like a mummy with it's bandages hanging off as the green foam/plastic peels off in strips showing the white backing underneath. It's not as though it has been abused, or even used much, after the first few months it looked so bad it was relegated to the spare room and was used only occasionally, but every time it was taken out another strip of covering fell off. The covering has now become so degraded it is not possible to move it without damage, whereas an old Roberts R300 (the style on which the RD60 was based) that I picked up from Ebay looks great and is now 50 years old!

It's a great shame Roberts have ruined what should have been a very good radio. I had hope they would have fixed this problem early on, but it would seem from the reviews posted here that they are not interested in preserving their great reputation.

Remember Roberts, it takes years to build up a good reputation, but only a short time to ruin it! Don't ruin it over such a simple problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE!, 26 July 2014
Over the years I've bought many different products off Amazon and have been very happy with most all of them, see my other reviews.. I didn't actually buy my Roberts RD60 from Amazon but owing to the disappointing experience I've had with this particular purchase I felt I had to warn others not to get caught out the way I did. As has been mentioned in many other people's reviews of this radio. When you first get the radio out of the box it looks like a gorgeous well made classic styled Roberts radio. A harken back to a time when you could buy quality products that were built to last.. On closer inspection, however, you'll find when you open the back that the actual radio part of the set up is a tiny set of components stuffed near the top of the box with a cheap looking plastic compartment to hold the batteries.. Nil Desperandum I thought I'll persevere with it. Maybe despite the lack of quality components inside the sound would be okay? Unfortunately for a close on £150 radio this was not the case.. Music sounded thin as if it were being played on a really cheap transistor radio from the old days. Which with hindsight I guess it was. The vocals on radio four being it's only real saving grace. After about a week of careful ownership, I hardly ever actually touched the body of the radio I noticed bits of the what looked like cheap thin plastic covering were peeling off leaving ugly white cut marks in the dark green of the covering.. It gets worse.. I had the radio for a little over two years only having it switched on for an hour or so per day to listen to the aforementioned Radio Four. Went to turn it on one day and nothing, no light nothing.. Tried a different lead and still no joy... For the first time in my over 50 years of life I sent an email to Roberts complaining about my experience with one of their so called prestigious quality products.. After a few hours I received a reply from Roberts suggesting that I should use batteries and the adaptor lead is probably at fault. Of course this isn't the case as I've already tried out another lead that I know to be working on it... I've told Roberts this and so far I've received no reply.. I do note however, that there are several of this model for sale as faulty on a very popular auction site... I'm not living in hope on this one I'm afraid.... Buy one buy half dozen if you wish but that was and is my personal experience of this product and companies customer service department... Needless to say the replacement for my Roberts RD60 will not be getting purchased from Roberts nor will it be a Roberts radio... Good luck.. Peter L.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks fantastic - but build quality and sound quality disappoint, 22 Mar. 2009
Mr. M. Kay (England) - See all my reviews
My piano teacher had one of the original Roberts radios on which this set is based and I always admired it. Despite the lack of features, I ordered one expecting great things.

Although the radio looks fantastic, I'm afraid that serious build quality issues were immediately apparent once I took the set out of the box. Roberts don't seem to have adjusted the tolerances of the hinged back to take account of the fact that this version does not have the leatherette covering of the standard model, causing the fitting of the back to be quite loose. The set rattled as it was carried.

More seriously, it made a constant buzzing noise on certain mid range frequencies, which was really annoying to listen to - quite unacceptable for a radio of this price. The front grill was also loose and the packaging is poor (the set is far too tightly packed - take care getting it out of the box and mind that you don't get the sticky from the handle's packing cover on the actual handle as you remove it.)

The sound quality unfortunately is quite dull and although I knew that there were no tone controls on this model (why ever not?), I had hoped this wouldn't have been a problem, but it is. The volume is adequate - turning it up increased the amount of buzzing emanating from the case, but I only listen at modest volume levels anyway.

I returned the set to Roberts themselves as I was unhappy to pay the return postage - they paid for this following an email. They sent me another set, though not with any speed. Unfortunately the second set also had build quality issues. Although the back was a tighter fit (is still wasn't a good fit) some buzzing could still be heard if I turned the volume a little louder than I use. However this set had a constant 'chirpy, squealing' sound coming from the internal electronics themselves - this was constant and could still be heard if you turned the volume off completely - it was too loud to ignore and wouldn't go away. I returned the radio to KK Electronics, who gave me a full and immediate refund. I really wanted to like this radio and I admired the looks despite the lack of features and the high price.

I have now bought a Pure One Elite instead. This is a truly excellent radio - solid build quality, no rattles, very clear well balanced stereo sound (the Roberts set is mono), it also has tone controls, is DAB+ ready, can have software upgrades via the USB connector, has the ability to rewind up to 15 minutes, 50 presets and an optional rechargeable battery pack which fits inside the set on a fit and forget basis. It also has a 2 year warranty. Whilst it is an ordinary design, it looks a lot nicer than in the pictures (the smooth rubber surface is really quite classy). The fact that it was almost exactly a third of the price of the Roberts set is another bonus. The Pure is a truly excellent radio - with good reception, build and sound quality. If I sound like an advert, I'm sorry - it is a really nice radio though!

I have no links with either Pure or Roberts at all. But feel that the Pure radio is so much better. At its price it is also a bargain. Sorry Roberts, this one you lose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts RD-50 casing problem solved free of charge!!, 27 Feb. 2014
I had a Roberts Revival RD-50 purchased in 2008 and the casing got so tatty I sent to back to the company on Monday (expecting to pay for a new casing), but a mere four days later, received a brand new - an updated model RD60 FREE OF CHARGE!!

Hooray for excellent customer service. My faith now restored in Roberts Radios.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and looks good too., 18 Jan. 2013
I already have one of these, this was bought as a gift for someone else.

The first time you turn it on it takes a couple of minutes to tune itself. After that subsequent start ups take about three seconds.

The digital display shows the channel you are listenin to, and scrolling information about the program. To change channels rotate the right knob until the display shows your required channel, (they appear alphabetically), and then press the button down. Its that simple!

You can set presets etc., but thats good enough for me!

The recipient is also delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely looking radio and great quality. The sound quality is perfect, 13 Sept. 2014
Really lovely looking radio and great quality. The sound quality is perfect. I love how easy it was to get started, just plugged it in and it auto tuned in under a minute. One of the settings diplays the name of the song and artist on the screen, which is a nice feature. Very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice radio, 5 April 2011
I. Caswell "La polyglotte-globe-trotter" (Gironde, France) - See all my reviews
Hopefully this one will work properly !!! I had a problem with the previous one a month after buying it (On/Off button broken) but the return service from Amazon is very reliable and quick ! Bravo !
No problem so far with this one. Long live to Roberts Radios !