5.0 out of 5 stars song structure is whats different...
if you like drum and bass buy something else. If you like dance music with rock song structure this is great :O)
Published on 27 July 2010 by Mr. R. A. Faulkner

3.0 out of 5 stars Opinions torn apart
I really can't say if this is a four or three star album, but I eventually tipped
to the latter. This newest album has both good but unfortunately many

Published on 3 May 2011 by Téému

5.0 out of 5 stars song structure is whats different..., 27 July 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Drum & Bass album for years., 18 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Immersion (MP3 Download)
This is the best album I've bought this year and the best drum & bass album I've ever bought. For most of the album, Pendulum have gone back to their electronic roots, producing great drum & bass and dubstep tracks. Some of the tracks revisit the more rocky style of the last album but even these are great. Excellent!

3.0 out of 5 stars Opinions torn apart, 3 May 2011
to the latter. This newest album has both good but unfortunately many
disappointing aspects.

You could say like in a previous critique that Pendulum is having an identity
crysis. -Or then, they are just evolving a bit too fast. The album is, anyway,
and obvious attemp to become mainstream and find more audiences. In this they
succeeded, at least here in Finland. Radio play has been given, and gigs have
impressed many. Pendulum are now POP.

Pop is the most defining aspect in the album, along with various featuring artists.
Singles such as Watercolour and The Island sunk into the public efficiently. That
doesn't still come to say that the sound is any better. Personally I find In Silico
Pendulum's best album, winning over Hold Your Colour since there are no bad tracks.
Due to this and making a good entity, In Silico appeals to me more

This is what makes Immersion lose two stars. It's a tad too long, has too many
disappointing tracks ((Salt in the Wounds is a good opening song until it goes
slow-mo, Under the Waves is slow and depressing, Self vs Self is a bad cross-over
and doesn't fit in. The Fountain and Immunize simply don't appeal to me: Album
fillers)), and the songs don't really make a whole album. Of course, there are some
excellent moments as well: The Island, The Vulture, Witchcraft... Energetic
and bassy songs that you love to jump and run to.

However, It lands awfully far from the best electronic albums I own, and is in my
opinion Pendulum's weakest album to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars How the Prodigy should sound, 3 Mar. 2013
Tg Hayes (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Immersion (MP3 Download)
A very brief review. For lovers of drum n bass, steer clear of this one, because it is an eclectic mix of many styles and is certainly not for the purists. A few reviewers have found fault with this aspect of the album, but I have to say that in isolation the mix works and you have a lot of very memorable moments on this record. I say in isolation, because I don't think Pendulum really hit those heights on any other album they have done. Also because purist fans of other genres used here by Pendulum may not like the overlaying of other influences.

One reviewer has stated that "musically it has been done before and much better by the Prodigy". It is right that Pendulum draw heavily on The Prodigy for inspiration here, as they always have. Is that any crime? Surely, much of the trick in music is to use your influences and create something new and, possibly, better. I think (controversially, I know) that Immersion contains more satisfyingly diverse music and better songs than the Prodigy have managed on any of theirs (and I count myself as a Prodigy fan). Immersion manages to be continuously interesting.

More importantly, the diversity on the album means that its shelf life is not retricted. I've been listening to this on and off since last summer and it keeps growing on me. For a great mix of groove, beat, soul and heart Immersion simply cannot be beaten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 July 2011
This review is from: Immersion (Audio CD)
The first time I ever heard any of this album was when my mate gave me a listen to Watercolour on his iPod. Immediately, I was hooked and soon went to HMV to buy a copy of this album. I soon had all songs on this album five starred in iTunes, with each one being slightly different from all the others, in a good way. Immunize, Witchcraft and The Fountain are quite possibly some of my all time favourite songs. But to be honest, all the songs on this album, but Encoder are definitely in my all time favourite songs. Quite frankly, Encoder never had the same impression nome that all the other songs had. Genesis is a great song to the album, but Immersion needed a better song to conclude the album. The new style shown in Self vs. self is quite convincing, and gives the album god variety. The Island has also got to be one of the best songs on the album as well as Watercolour, with a really catchy tune. This album has really hit the sweet spot and deserves a good 9.5/10. What the album really needed was a better finale. great effort form Pendulum, you would have to be pretty stupid not to buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grrrrreat, 24 July 2010
This review is from: Immersion (Audio CD)
Brilliant album and thoroughly delighted with it. Got the item within a couple of days of placing the order so very pleased with that. Haven't stopped playing it since! Only regret is that I don't have tickets to see them playing live with Prodigy tonight at the MK bowl! Never mind. Next time!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good individual songs but doesn't come together as an album as well as previous albums did., 21 July 2011
This review is from: Immersion (Audio CD)
I've been a huge fan of pendulum since Hold Your Colour and I think that the songs individually work well e.g Watercolour, The Vulture, Witchcraft, The Island. However, when they come together the album feels like a bit of a mess as each song has a completely different sound. As well as this towards the end the standard seems to drop. And the last 3 or 4 songs feel out of place and rushed, like The Fountain and Self Vs Self.

It's for this reason that I prefer the previous two albums as they have a distinct sound and are more enjoyable to listen to. However, I would say that some of the songs on Immersion are some of the best so far e.g The Island (Part 1) is my favorite Pendulum song and Salt In The Wounds is like a better version of Slam. So overall I give it four stars, although some of the songs in the album are worthy of 5 stars there is too much variation in standard.

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying to please too many people, 27 May 2011
Grantona - See all my reviews
This review is from: Immersion (Audio CD)
Some good tracks on here but also some stinkers. Its clear Pendulum tried with this record to reach new audiences and as a result it doesnt work as an album as you go from one genre to another. Tracks like Watercolour and Witchcraft are the stand out tracks and there are some prodigy influenced classics like the Vulture but sadly a lot of tracks arent up to standard and should not have been included - Set me on fire and the 2 island tracks cheesy techno influenced tracks that I find completely unlistenable. Encoder is horrible and the remaining tracks are simply OK.

Pendulum seem to be unsure of the direction their sound is heading in. Worth a listen but not great. No where near as good as both Hold your colour and In Silco.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pendulum - Immersion, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Immersion (Audio CD)
I'm a metal fan who only got into Pendulum after many of my friends caught a glimpse of them playing at the legendary Download Festival in Donnington Park, UK. What they were doing playing at a rock/metal festival is beyond me, or that's what I thought at the time. I have given many different types of music a chance before I decided metal was the only good music out there today. I then decided to check out Pendulum after they played a cover of Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets' and played a song called 'Self Vs Self' (which appears on this album) live. I thought they were both pretty good songs and spent some hard earned cash on this album as a gamble thinking I would most likely hate it.

My view on this electronica/d'n'b band has dramtically changed after I first listened to the entire album. Unlike most people in this world, I decided to give another genre of music a chance. Obviously I was drawn to the 'Self Vs Self' track which happens to feature Swedish metal legends, In Flames. Some people say metalheads may not enjoy this song but I can safely say that most metallers I know, myself included, LOVE this song. A crossover of (almost) extreme metal and electronica and dance is a massive breath of fresh air to me personally in the music world. Many bands of all music genres playing the same old rubbish that is either a cover, remix and written by a 3rd party. This song is now one of the most enjoyable, fun songs I listen to at the moment. I have NO IDEA why Pendulum and dance fans instantly write off this song. Those people need to give the song a chance and then they realise they are being stubborn, they will probably enjoy it the same way I did.

Ok so I admit this song got my to buy the album, but its not the only a song I love from this album. I was quickly drawn to 'Witchcraft', 'Watercolour' and 'Salt In The Wounds'. These 3 songs are probably the best (Pendulum-only) songs on the album. All are brilliantly written tracks and have that 'rock' edge to them as well as the typical electronica sound. Other notable songs for any music fan are 'Set Me On Fire', 'Immunize' and 'The Vulture'.

Being a metal fan listening to an electronica album I have to say this is very impressive. I have checked out the back catalogue, and while the first album sucks balls (apart from the song 'Slam'), I own all their albums and the live DVD at Brixton Academy proudly sits at the top of my music DVD collection being among the best live shows I have ever seen (on a screen), and I own a LOT of music DVDs. Just goes to show that if you push your music boundries out you may actually like music you thought you would never like........

5.0 out of 5 stars A largely successful album, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Immersion (Audio CD)
Pendulum are an act that are known for their live sound, and how many people actually get into the band. It is important to consider how well, therefore, the tracks of Immersion will transition to live play.

Having seen Pendulum at the Warrior's Dance Festival, I would say that the tracks do transition better to the live arena than the tracks of In Silico - an album which was largely "love-or-hate" given its eclectic mix of electronic rock and drum and bass. Where In Silico is an album which feels like you hear the same song more than twice given the similar nature of the tracks, Pendulum deserve credit that with Immersion, tracks can be distinguished more easily.

They also deserve credit for the fact that they do indeed take more risks than on In Silico. They incorporate dubstep ala Set Me On Fire and to an extent The Island Part 2, two tracks which are great songs, and the latter makes for particularly rousing live play. Self Vs Self, a track which will inevitably divide the listeners of Immersion, is a track that will NOT be played live, I think it is fair to say. People will attack Pendulum for their mix of a heavy metal and drum and bass sound - certainly not a track for the purists. However, it is nice to see that Pendulum do continue to explore and push the boundaries of their many genres, and although it may stick out like a sore thumb, at least they have made the effort to change.

Overall, a solid effort by the band. It may take a few listens to fully appreciate it, but it is likely to leave your copy of In Silico gathering a bit of dust on the shelf.

It is to the album's success that it will replace In Silico as the major contributor to the live Pendulum act. In Silico has been left with only Propane Nightmares as its track. Pendulum seem to prefer a mesh of HYC (Slam, Blood Sugar, Fasten Your Seatbelts) with a majorly Immersion based sound, ala Watercolour, Salt In The Wounds, Witchcraft, The Island, The Vulture.

Immersion
Immersion by Pendulum (Audio CD - 2010)