5.0 out of 5 stars A how-to manual for writers
As a writer of erotica, there are many things I've tried to learn from this book. How to make condoms sexy. How to coarsen my vocabulary. When to let my heroine wear knickers with a gusset. And many other tricks of the trade.

Published on 6 Oct 2011 by Vanessa Wu

3.0 out of 5 stars Really hot, but not for everyone.
Being a fan of Black Lace, I jumped at the chance to read Kristina Lloyd's Asking For Trouble. I started reading straight away and was impressed by the book almost immediately. The naughtiness starts very early on, and it's really fun. You get the impression that the lead character Beth is a real naughty girl that knows what she wants, and how to get it.

Then...
Published on 17 Nov 2007 by Lucy Felthouse

5.0 out of 5 stars A how-to manual for writers, 6 Oct 2011

But there's one thing that, for my money, Kristina does better than any other writer of erotica, and that's to use her sophisticated mastery of language to describe quite complex physical sensations. She does it very simply and accurately and the effect is very powerful.

Don't be fooled by the simplicity of her language. What she is doing is very difficult. For she doesn't just focus on the physical. She manages to dig out and express the emotional roots of desire.

I recommend this book to every writer. Kristina can be lyrical at times but she is never self-indulgent. And when she needs to be crude she is definitively crude. Above all, she strives to be accurate. Her touchstone is undoubtedly herself, her own body, her own desires, her own responses. For this reason alone the book is very daring. Many writers of erotica fall back on well-worn phrases. They do not make best use of the raw material available to them - themselves.

As an example, here is a description of Beth walking along the beach in Brighton.

"The wind buffeted me and, every now and again, my steps went crooked and drunken because it was so ferociously strong. It was warm and arid too: my eyes didn't stream the way they would do in a chill wind. That rushing air had the opposite effect; it made my eyeballs feel strangely dry."

There are some emotions lying beneath the surface of those stark sentences but even if you are not aware of them, because I have lifted the words out of their context, you get a sense of how clinically accurate Kristina can be.

Stephen King once wrote in one of his introductions to Salem's Lot (June 15, 2005):

"So turn off the television ... and we'll talk about vampires here in the dim. I think I can make you believe in them, because while I was working on this book, I believed in them myself."

Whenever I pick up Kristina's book and re-read her sentences about Ilya and Beth, her vivid descriptions of Brighton, her sharp and swanky dialogue, I believe that what I am reading is real. Because while Kristina was writing this book, it was real.

Not everyone can handle this kind of authenticity. This book isn't for everyone. Beth degrades herself in ways that are sick and disgusting. She does things that no woman should ever do. But I believe in her. I understand her. I care about her. And for that Kristina earns my everlasting respect.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really hot, but not for everyone., 17 Nov 2007
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Then when Ilya arrives in her life, things really start get sexy. There's a hot scene where Beth and Ilya (who have apartments across the street from one another) end up exposing themselves to one another through the window. And that's where it starts. Soon they're playing a game of flirtation, which inevitably leads to them sleeping together. However, Ilya has more than just bog-standard sex on his mind. He's tapped into Beth's deepest dirtiest fantasies, and wants to make the most of them.

They begin a game where Ilya will push Beth's boundaries in the bedroom to see how far she will go to achieve her deepest desires. However, as is common ground in BDSM (and similar) circles, they have a word that means stop, in this case - "Cuttlefish." Whenever either of them say the word, their 'arrangement' is off, and there's no going back.

Beth gets increasingly infatuated with Ilya and his sexy games. However, she soon comes to realise she's in a scary situation, as Ilya really wants to see how far he can push Beth... and he's not exactly a savoury character. So when other, much more dangerous, characters arrive on the scene, expecting to be involved in their sordid games, Beth is hesitant. Will she do it, or will she call the 'C' word and Ilya is out of her life forever?

I'm a little torn by this book. The beginning and middle are really hot and fun, and although some of the fantasies weren't my cup of tea, I still found it sexy. However, as the plot progresses and Beth is drawn deeper into Ilya's sordid games I found myself switching off a little. Not because of the quality of writing, which I found excellent throughout, but more because of the subject matter. There was no non-consensual sex involved in the novel, but it was pushing it pretty close and there are scenes which many readers may find disturbing. It's definitely one of the most controversial Black Lace novels I've read. Overall I'd say I enjoyed most of it, but some of it was just too dark for me; but it won't put me off reading more of Lloyd's novels in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously sexy and dangerous!, 12 Oct 2006
The book starts when Beth (the heroine), moves into her new flat in the grungy working class, avant-garde, seaside neighborhood town of Brighton, England. While putting up curtains, she notices a strange man (Ilya, the hero of the story) in the flats across the street staring at her from his window mocking her every move. When the annoyed Beth decides to flash the stranger, she's surprised by his response. Scared and a bit shaken by his actions she decides it wasn't the best move for a woman living alone. Then the phone rings... Guess who?... Right from the start I knew I was going to like Beth and I was going to like this very realistic psychotically dark & dangerous, sexual thriller.

30 year old Beth, not looking for a serious relationship at the moment (she's busy managing a trendy, fashionable bar & enjoying a normal single life) finds her self attracted to the handsome, but mysterious Ilya. After their first intimate (and slightly scary) encounter Beth reveals her deepest darkest fantasies to Ilya. They both agree it might be fun to meet on occasions to fulfill Beth's fantasies with no strings attached. Beth's fantasies roughly have to do with being made to do sexually degrading things and treated like a sleazy slut - nasty, hot, hard sex that involves multiple male partners, being sexually dominated and sometimes rape. However, Beth makes it clear from the start that the rape fantasy wouldn't be part of the game as it should stay a fantasy... Will Ilya play fair? Beth and Ilya agree if they should find the game, at any point, boring or going too far, they are to say the safe word and the game ends immediately and the relationship stops. Beth believes she's the one in control in the beginning (remember, she can stop it any time with one word) but Beth becomes dangerously addicted to these games and especially addicted to Ilya. Beth knows Ilya also has the option to stop the madness and she finds her self less and less willing or unable to extricate her self. She keeps Ilya and their dirty little sex games a secret. Even her best friends and her work mates know nothing about either. Soon the games get more and more hazardous and degrading as Ilya's shadowy past catches up with him and he's determined to use Beth. There is one scene where Beth is called to Ilya's rundown bed & breakfast hotel - it was frightening and I wasn't sure I would be able to read it through...*panting* That was only one of many intense scene in this deliciously brilliant nervy novel. At times I wanted to reach into the book and take Beth by the shoulders and scream, stop it now before it's too late. But, how do you stop yourself when a gorgeous, complicated, mysterious man takes your most depraved sexual secret fantasies and makes them real, exciting and dangerous.

Kristina Lloyd had me believing these characters and their situations were REAL. I mean sometimes I wonder if it isn't based on someone's true experience. It certainly had that element of truth, and the characters could easily be people you meet everyday at work, on the street or in a pub. Beth's reactions were honest and true to most of the scenarios in the book. It's the reactions and emotions I'd expect from a real live woman to have - not like most Black Lace heroines. Ilya is more complicated, but that is what is so wonderful about his persona. He was the perfect bloke to carry out these bold acts. Lloyd had this reader (me) and Beth asking the question - who is Ilya. Is sexy, handsome, macho, working class Ilya involved in illegal activities? Is he running from something or someone? How dangerous is he, and why won't he tell Beth anything about his work, friends or life in general. The secrets, the fantasies, the lies, the danger and the often explosive sex scenes make this one great piece of exciting erotic literature - in fact I thought this book would work even in the mainstream, not just erotica. Yes, the sex scenes were explosive and HOT, but it's not just the sex that keeps this wonderful story going... It's the element of danger too. So far after reading, many, many Black Lace novels, "Asking For Trouble" is the one that stood out from the rest and in my opinion one of the best. It's not like the other Black Lace books... It's more intense, personal and believable. Kristina, give us more, pleeease...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cheeky Read!, 7 Feb 2012
If you want something extremely cheeky, which has an awesome story line and many a shocking moment...this is the book to read! Hard to put down and would definitely recommend...enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars really good storyline, 11 April 2011
Jay Rainbow (bolton england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
this is the best book of this type I have read so far. the story is not so far fetched but brilliantly written. well worth a few pounds

5.0 out of 5 stars A male perspective, 29 Jun 2009
As a man I was intrigued to find out more about the inner recesses of the female psyche and I picked this book out as it sounded interesting from other reviews.

I have to confess to being slightly shocked - this is pretty filthy in places and goes to depths even I wouldnt want to go (the b&b scene and the watersports!). Fair play to the author though, she clearly has an active imagination, (or an exciting sex-life!), but either way she manages to build some racy love scenes and I did enjoy reading most of them.

The story itself is well written, the sights and sounds of Brighton are brought to life commendably by the author and the characters are very real. Some of the best parts of the book are the colourful desciptions of the backstreets of Brighton with all its bohemian allure.

I was slightly disappointed to discover Ilya's profession at the end, it just seemed slightly ridiculous and out of place with the rest of the book. I suspect the author was trying to find a vehicle through which to introduce the low-lifes for the b&b scene.

Anyway, all in all it was thoroughly enjoyable and did give me an insight into the female mind. I think Kristina Lloyd should be credited for such candour in exploring female fantasies. Just hoping I get to meet a Beth Bradshaw some day...

4.0 out of 5 stars This will blow your socks off..!!, 15 Jun 2007
Yikes!

Looked at through the eyes of a rather naieve 30yr old, this novel is raunchy, racy & hot stuff!

You don't have to flick the pages to get to the "good stuff", it's all good!

You won't be left dissapointed.

The story is intriguing if slightly far-fetched, the classroom lecture on "Stranger Danger" was obviously lost on Beth, the lead character.

The characters have strange names,I mean who/what/how do you pronounce Ilya,? and I haven't met anyone named Beth since I was at school; but this lustful & descriptive page-turner is an excellent bit of bed-time reading to accompany your Rabbit..!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seedy and sexy and more, 24 Dec 2006
This is a wonderful book. Very true about its Brighton location and with a real sense of place. The sex scenes are scorching, scary, and really make your heart beat faster.

The heroine, Beth, is instantly likeable and has a sure strong first person voice. Ilya, the hero, is rather mysterious, but his sexual magnetism and ability to lead Beth into places she really isn't sure she wants to go - despite what her heart might be telling her - never feels in doubt.

Excellent. A must read for all lovers of erotic romance who like their heroes extra dark and dangerous and the sex scenes right on the edge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched., 12 April 2001
By A Customer
This book could well be an advert from the Brighton Tourist Board. Like Brighton Rock by Graham Greene it weaves its tale around the wonderfully decedant south coast resort. I feel Kristina has written largly from her own experiences in this work as it is so vividly and romantically recalled. Well written and in the style of Stella Black, Deborah Addington and Trezza Azzapardia. A truely magical novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars stylish, contemporary, unpredictable, brilliant, 8 Mar 2000
By A Customer
When Beth Bradshaw moves into a new flat she soon becomes aware she's being watched by a guy who lives across the street. Most people would call the police, but Beth gets involved with the guy - who turns out to be weirder and scarier than she could have imagined. This book is a breath of fresh air in the sometimes predictable world of erotic fiction. It's set in my town - Brighton - and for me Kristina Lloyd has really captured the feel of the place: shabby and sleazy with a frisson of danger and excitement. It's a stylish, contemporary page-turner that kept me guessing till the end.

Asking For Trouble (Black Lace)
2.99