5.0 out of 5 stars Mini-marvel
What a revelation!
Published on 14 Oct. 2010 by Rocker1982

Update Nov 2014:

Because of the problems listed below, we've not really bothered to use this since the original review. It just isn't reliable and user-friendly enough to be used regularly. I am reducing the stars to 2 to reflect this.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Original review (3...
Published on 13 Feb. 2013 by P. Haynes

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini-marvel, 14 Oct. 2010
What a revelation!
I'd previously been using a Linux transmitter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linex-Usb-Pll-Fm-Transmitter/dp/B0002CRIF6) I bought about 8 years ago, and, despite its infuriating nature, I'd never really found anything else that fit the bill for use at home, wanting to transmit music from my laptop to the big stereo speakers in the lounge. When I last trawled through the internet, all I could see was iPod ones that run off a car cigarette lighter... Then I found this. Why-oh-why did I persevere for so long with the old stuff?
While the software's user interface looks a little dated, it's perfectly easy to understand, and took about 30 seconds to install and start transmitting!
And all through something as small as my USB mouse receiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective!, 15 July 2011
This review is from: Keene USB FM Transmitter (Electronics)
I purchased this FM transmitter for an ex-pat friend who wanted to be able to listen to BBC internet radio anywhere in his house or garden (he's a cricket fan and wanted to relive his youthful days of sitting in the garden with some Pimms and the sound of leather and willow on the radio). I can safely say that he is over the moon with this.

Installation is very simple; run the installer from the CD which adds the driver and the software, then plug in the key.

Usage is simple too. The software allows you to pick any FM frequency you like (best to pick one that is in a "quiet" section of the band to avoid any risk of interference) and you can increase the broadcast power if needed. Once you have set the frequency you hit the "play" button and the key transmits all the PC sound via the key. No need to fiddle about changing default audio cards in Windows, it does it all for you.

The quality is fine and the range appears to be at least as good as specified.

Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant gadget - with a longer cable...., 5 April 2011
D. J. Piggott "Denis" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keene USB FM Transmitter (Electronics)
I found this very easy to set up - despite the poor instructions and misleading interface! However, the supplied usb cable (which acts as the FM antenna) would only give reception in half our house. The solution - I bought a 1 metre USB cable (from Amazon, of course) and now reception is brilliant in the entire house and garden.

Denis

4.0 out of 5 stars Keene usb transmitter, 1 Oct. 2010
Mr. R. J. Thompson (South Yorkshire U K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keene USB FM Transmitter (Electronics)
I was particularly interested in this transmitter because I have a Bose radio that is AM and FM only, so when the FM signal is switched off this radio will be rendered useless.
Well at first I had a few problems with my transmitter which I now feel was down to a faulty lead that Keene supplied and recommended using for improved results, but I now find I,am better off without it, and the performance I find very pleasing, this devise as turned my FM radio into an internet radio of some quality, with the help of my laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars With a longer USB cable this works great!, 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Keene USB FM Transmitter (Electronics)
For someone like myself with approx 50GB of music on my PC I wanted a way of playing it throughout my flat and this relatively cheap little USB transmitter allows me to tune all my radios into a changeable FM frequency and play my PC's music collection through this and to listen to it in multiple rooms. The USB lead they give with it is tiny and didn't work for me, it introduced a buzz and was too short to act as a good aerial, I bought a nice 2M USB cable and found a spot on my wall where the reception is clear and stuck it there, this is plenty long enough to produce a nice clear and strong signal for your radios to tune into and your music to be heard without distortion. Once you've got a new USB lead and had a play to find the best spot and frequency to play over it works a treat :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little FM transmitter! It does the job well ....., 23 April 2011
D. S. Roberts "radioforts" (St Albans UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keene USB FM Transmitter (Electronics)
I have bought many mp3 FM transmitters and often felt disappointed with the overall signal strength and iffy audio quality BUT this little beauty works very well.It's easy to install the software and "set up" in no time at all. With good positioning and a bit of adjustment the signal is rock solid and covers a greater distance than many that I have used before. Both music and speech sound pleasing either through a good system or a portable radio. The little background whine heard when used with the supplied USB lead is quickly resolved by using another longer lead. Recommended. This device makes life really simple when it comes to listening to your PC/Laptop around the house on any FM receiver!

This device is so good that I have ordered a second one! .... and "Keene" post these out very quickly too in decent packaging.

2.0 out of 5 stars It works, but it's not exactly user-friendly and has to be reset after each reboot., 13 Feb. 2013
P. Haynes (Maidstone, England) - See all my reviews
Update Nov 2014:

Original review (3 stars):

Only got this a few days ago, so this is just my first impressions, I will update/rewrite later.
Good:

Self-installed and worked with W7 64 without needing special drivers.

Transmission range is good (no problems 10m away, through two walls), signal is clear, frequency is easy to set.

Program installed without problems, and, apart from the start/pause operation being counter-intuitive, it's easy to use.
Not so good:

No instructions at all on/in the packaging! Just a simple diagram showing whether to load the disk or install the device first would have been nice. You have to open a PDF file on the disk - if you don't know to do this you are stuck trying to work out how to use the program on your own. The PDF instructions are OK, but could be better.

You have to experiment with different positions, extension cables, etc before you get a decent signal everywhere. This is understandable, especially, if like us, your PC is on the floor, but the extension cable supplied is only 60cm long and so next to useless.

The program doesn't appear in the task bar when you minimise it, you have to look in 'hidden icons' (bottom right of screen). It took me several days to discover this!! It runs as a process, not an application, so you can't Alt-Tab to it - the only way to find it is to minimize everything else!

When it has to be restarted (e.g. after a re-boot) it reverts to its default settings - which include zero gain amd a very low 'PA value' (whatever that is!), so it may well appear not to be working when you try to tune a radio to it.
Summary:

It works and it's easy to install, but the fact that it runs as a process and not an application, and minimises to the 'hidden icons' area and not the Start Bar could make it difficult to use. Also, having to reset the settings after every re-boot is a bit of a pain. I am fairly OK with minor irritations like this (although they still annoy me from a design point of view), but the real test will be to see how my not-so-computer-literate wife manages to get on with it (it's her I really bought it for).

I'll update when we've had some experience with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keene FM transmitter, 28 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Keene USB FM Transmitter (Electronics)
So far I have been very pleased but I'm only giving it 4 stars due to the fact that the supplied extension cable introduced a tone on the fm receiver. However it will work well without the extension cable, the signal is just reduced a bit. You just plug the dongle, which is only just over 4cm long, into a spare usb socket, so no batteries or power source required. However I had another usb extension cable which works fine no tone. The main reason I bought this was to listen to the BBC iplayer radio programmes on my kitchen radio which is in the same room as the laptop, without having to plug in speakers to the laptop. The signal streams fine and is received well. The fm transmitter when plugged in streams whatever the sound card is playing and mutes the laptops speakers. The software works well from the supplied disc and has caused no problems with Windows xp, however the documentation is limited but it is pretty self explanatory. You select an empty frequency between 87.5 mhz and 108 mhz from which to broadcast on. The signal is strong enough to be received to my loft aerial which is a Ron Smith Galaxie 14, from downstairs in my house although the signal is a bit reduced, 5 decibels down from my normal fm stations, it is perfectly listenable for speech radio but a little bit of hiss for music. It would no doubt be stronger from upstairs but I have not tried this yet. So overall I feel a good buy and it was received quickly and well packaged, which included the catalogue for Keene electronics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device & works on Windows 7 64 bit, 2 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Keene USB FM Transmitter (Electronics)
I bought one of these a couple of years ago and have just discovered it now is reported to work on Windows 7 64 bit and have just tried it. It auto installed the driver and works fine and I have just installed the software from the original supplied disk in order to have the option of changing the frequency it transmits on. No problems. I used to use it a lot on Vista and now also recommend on Windows 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great expansion to my Roberts Wireless, 11 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Keene USB FM Transmitter (Electronics)
I bought this to transmit my laptop music and internet radio to my Roberts Revival Radio. I plugged the dongle in (without the inc extension) and let windows do the initial install before installing the diver disk. A little app sits in your system tray so you can access it quickly. I chose the settings which contained 'Europe' and tuned in my radio to the signal displayed in the app (90Mhz). The sound was rough at first but ounce I turned down the TX Gain slider in the app setting it sounds nice and clear! You can pause and play, mute, and fine tune the signal with the < and > buttons.

Very pleased.