5.0 out of 5 stars Bought one for very specific needs
I needed to replace a 20yr old HP Laserjet 4 as the poor old thing was rather worn out,
and the 15yr old toner cartridge was now empty.
I needed a toner based system, because I will probably use this machine very little,
and any other form of ink would dry out on me at my level of usage.
This machine is pretty small, quiet and just gets on with the...
Published on 4 Oct 2010 by Artemis

2.0 out of 5 stars Prints well, but leaves tram-lines on the paper
Published on 28 Dec 2010 by P Gardner

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought one for very specific needs, 4 Oct 2010
This review is from: Samsung ML1665 Mono Laser Printer Ref ML-1665/XEU (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
and the 15yr old toner cartridge was now empty.
and any other form of ink would dry out on me at my level of usage.
This machine is pretty small, quiet and just gets on with the job.
Great footprint and heightprint - can easily go on a shelf with a shelf above it.
Weighs a lot more than you would expect - at over 4kg.
The price has been achieved by ignoring any flashy displays, lights or paper trays.
The paper loader itself can handle 150 pages, and the output tray 100 pages (which could be very interesting).

Good if you want: Low price, long lifetime consumables, excellent print in mono, small footprint, fast, simple to setup.
Bad if you want: Color, something that looks cool, massive paper tray, scanner and extras like that built in.

Summary:

Doesn't appear to be built like a cheap piece of whatever.
Fast, high quality and very quiet.
Great for low-usage where you don't want the ink to dry out way before its time.

P.s. Cartridge lasts for 700 pages, replacements for double that. But look around to get the best price.
Cartridge is of course removable so you can give it a gentle shake over the years to keep it going :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars meets all my printing needs, 30 Oct 2010
i was looking for a laser printer due to being at uni and having to print masses of paper - having an inkjet was just not cutting it and was quite messy when printing big docs (what with the ink smudging and stuff). so, after reading some not brilliant reviews on some samsung printers in the summer i decided to have another look. then i saw this one. the reviews were good so i decided to go for it. and am i glad i did!! it is an immense printer. i need it to print out articles and essays. it does that with no problem. it was so easy to set up, plug in the cables, run the software, wait for it to copy and install files and bang - done!! it took about 5 mins. and no problems with changing settings or any other nonesense. it just worked. it was so easy to figure out how to print pdfs 2 pages to one side - still cant figure out how to do that on the uni printers and still be able to read it. but this did it no problem - so it will be saving me loads compared with using the uni printers - am so pleased with it. and it will be very useful when i am sending out cvs etc. it prints very quickly - it is a little bit noisy but that makes no odds to me. am so glad i bought this printer - it is fab!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent personal laser printer, 13 Oct 2010
I have been using the Samsung ML-1665 laser printer for a few weeks. It is excellent as a personal laser printer- compact, fast, quiet, and easy to set up. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works excellently with Mac OS X, 23 Mar 2011
I bought this printer as a replacement, after my newly purchased Fuji Xerox Phaser simply refused to work with my Mac.

Anyway, I've had this printer for a few months now and it's worked brilliantly with my Macbook Pro (Snow Leopard). Installation went smoothly; I simply popped the disk in and ran the package. Doesn't print blazingly fast, but the quality is decent and in any case you don't buy a desk printer to print loads of stuff. Paper feed tray is reasonably spacious and the paper is immediately detected when you put it in. No jams to date, not even when I put a rather crumpled piece of paper in the tray.

Also, it came as a pleasant surprise that the "Print from screen" button on the printer works even with my Mac. I'd expected it to be a Windows-only function or otherwise be annoyingly buggy as special hardware features are wont to do with Macs. But it works and is very useful, especially when I want to print off Google Maps without having to go through the added step of Screen Capture and then sending it to print again.

The bottom line: It's a nice small printer that works seamlessly with Mac OS X.

Note: The printer does not come with the cable; you need to purchase the cable separately. That was a bit of a pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung ML-1665, 11 Sep 2010
I only print documents & was fed up with rubbish ink jet printers. Had the Samsung ML-1665 up & running in 10 minutes under Windows 7. Well worth the reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wee printer, 18 May 2010
T. P. Small "Tom" (Costa Del Solway) - See all my reviews
It is very easy to install, all set up and working within a few minutes.

REMEMBER to order a printer cable, I had one from my old printer and they seem to be fairly standard these days.

The printer is shipped with a laser cartridge that should print 700 pages. The normal cartridge will print 1500.

I like the one touch screen dump, saves going to menus, and sometimes printing several pages when you only need a specific part. Really easy, put the relevant part on the screen that you want to print and one touch on the button.

As long as you don't want to print in colour, then this printer is perfect. It is the fastest printer I have ever had, I read some reports on other sites that it was only printing 12.5 pages a minute, sorry but I am not a techno freak that would sit with a stop watch and time it.

When I get a chance I may try a video review.

Really happy with it, and highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says & works on linux, 4 Dec 2010
I took the plunge and swapped my laptop over to Linux Mint a few weeks ago and was worried about stuff like new printers working properly. I chose the ML 1665 mainly because forums said it works on Linux. Frankly it turned out to be as easy as Windows - the new printer installed itself without drama in seconds. It's quiet, very quick to fire up, fast and usefully compact and prints pretty well though I do get some microdots appearing in odd places if I use textured paper.

2.0 out of 5 stars Prints well, but leaves tram-lines on the paper, 28 Dec 2010
I'm a graphic designer and I know a bad printer when I see one! The print quality from this little machine is good (just as many people have been saying)- HOWEVER, I was extremely disappointed at what it did to my good quality 80gsm paper. The roller mechanism on this particular model has been over-tightened. As a result, the prints emerge from the machine with four or five "tram-lines" embossed across the length of the paper by the roller wheels that transport the paper through the printer. If you are trying to put a document of four of five pages together, it will look like someone has sat on it! DON'T BUY THIS MACHINE, instead buy it's slightly bigger brother - The ML-1915 - It's only a few pounds more and it's well worth the money. It is a bit bigger, but it's of a much better build. Samsung have got the roller mechanism perfectly adjusted on the ML-1915 and there isn't a tram-line to be seen!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good low end workhorse, 8 Oct 2010
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Samsung's entry-level mono laser, is small and inexpensive to own and run. The black-cased machine has a bulge at the back, and uses a fold-down front panel as its paper input tray and a fold-over top cover to take the output. This gives it quite a large footprint overall when using the printer.

The paper tray can take up to 150 sheets but, there's no single-sheet feed and you have to remove the main paper to print envelopes or any other media.

The control panel is no more than a couple of buttons and a single indicator, though one of those buttons has a novel function. Unique to Samsung at the moment, is a print-screen button, which prints the current screen on its host PC or Mac. As long as the printer's within easy reach, this is a surprisingly useful function for capturing interesting pages or online transactions.

The only data connection is USB 2 and installation is straightforward, thanks to a single-piece, drum and toner cartridge, which slots in from the top.

This is a solid willing work horse for the home office and will handle day-to-day task without breaking sweat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer, 27 Nov 2010
This is the first time I have owned a laser printer, its mostly written stuff that I use the printer for. My husband did a lot of research on these and this one got good reviews, I installed it myself in about 5 minutes, really easy and great print, quiet and quick. Had this since july 2010 and it works great, printed lots of things and still high quality. Very happy with this product and would recommend it.