5.0 out of 5 stars From a female perspective
I bought this boxed set the minute it became available on Amazon. I notice that all of the other reviews so far have been male. I quite understand this as I feel like I am the only female on this planet that hates soaps and rom-coms, probably due to having been sat in front of the telly by an equally sci fi and crime series obsessed mother from a very early age. The...
Published on 12 Oct 2006 by A. Carlton

3.0 out of 5 stars the concept is fascinating, final results are mixed.
"the champions" is a classic example of an original concept being adapted into a rather dull and decidely mixed bag for a series. the three leads have none of the onscreen chemistry that is evident in the likes of "randall and hopkirk" or "department s." in this series, they seem rather lost and almost going through the motions as they merely repeat their lines without...
Published on 16 April 2012 by jeremiah harbottle

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic ITC Telefantasy, 14 Sep 2006
Greg (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Had to wait quite a while for this set with the release date being put back several times, but it was worth it. This is without doubt one of ITC's best series, probably rivalled only by The Saint & The Prisoner. First of all you have to put it into context - don't compare it with programmes of today as special effects, editing and filming techniques have moved on a long way - compare it with other series of the 1960s. Yes, okay there are a lot of nazi/communist/unspecified small nation with big ambitions type scenarios, but Bond was the same. Enjoy it for what it is - carefree, fun, curiously innocent, and humourous. The picture quality of the DVDs is very good, and mine had no sound problems. The documentary was interesting and the stars' reunion after 40 years was funny and touching - they clearly got on very well both then & now. It's just a shame that it wasn't longer, especially as probably only half of the documentary involved interviews with folk from behind the camera. The commentaries are just as warm and entertaining. Buy it, sit back and immerse yourself in nostalgia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Champions!, 22 Aug 2009
J. Caddick (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
In Canada or USA you cannot buy the entire Champions series or the Champions movie. I wanted to see all the episodes again, so I ordered this from Amazon.UK and went out to buy an all-region DVD player.

I loved this TV show in the 60s very much. I wondered if I would still like it now after all these years. I'm happy to say, that I still really like this TV show. It is in the 60s style, not lots of special effects and the pace of life is slower but that's okay for me. I like that.

I think that the actors work very well together and I like very much the choice of actors. I'm only sorry the series wasn't longer. The second episode is probably the worst episode, so don't be put off by it. It get's much better. The cobbled together Champions movie is made from two of the TV episodes. There is no new footage in the movie. I would have loved something new.

I understand that Del Toro is making a movie version of the Champions in 2010. I hope Del Toro doesn't "Hollywood" it too much. I'd love it if he had cameo appearances of the 3 main actors in the film.

Love it and glad I made the effort to get it. I think teenagers and adults can equally like this show.

4.0 out of 5 stars Champion!, 1 Feb 2009
B. Johnson (London, England) - See all my reviews
I'm sure anyone reading this review knows the premise of this excellent show already. So I'm focusing only on the box set itself. Because not all box sets available today live up to expectations!

In the case of this box set, it's hard to find fault. Whilst it not quite as well realised as the Department S box set, this is still a really excellent compilation.

The picture and sound quality is very good. As is the way the in which the box set is thoughtfully compiled. And the extras there are, are excellent too. Everything is just as you would hope it would be.

There is a gripe, and it's a very minor one. Having spent time and effort reuniting cast and crew after so many years, it would have been great if there were more episodes featuring commentaries. Equally the information booklet is less than I would have hoped for. But as I said, these are minor gripes from an ardent fan.

All in all The Champions was an outstanding TV show in its day, and this box set represents as an excellent celebration of the show. If you love the show, this is pretty much as good as it gets.

The Champions: The Complete Series (Special Edition) [1968]

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the 'Baby Boomers' or 60s 'Retro' Buffs, 11 May 2009
As a Baby Boomer and a collector of 60s retro TV, cinema and music, I found this series very enjoyable. Admittedly, it is a little dated compared to the slick production standards of today. However, for those of us who can still remember (and for those who are interested in 60s pop culture generally), I think it is still a lot of fun. Even when it was made, it was a slightly 'tongue in cheek' take on the 'secret agent' genre. The actors don't take themselves too seriously and Alexandra Bastedo was such a honey!!! It was worth buying just to see her again. P.S. It has been beautifully remastered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Special Features ('borrowed' from another web supplier), 19 July 2009
TR HARWOOD "Trev in England" (Morecambe, England) - See all my reviews
Special Features
Remastered Episodes
'We Were The Champions' A brand new documentary on the making of The Champions
Audio commentary on The Beginning featuring Stuart Damon, Alexandra Bastedo and William Gaunt
Audio commentary on Autokill featuring Stuart Damon, Alexandra Bastedo and William Gaunt
Second audio commentary on Autokill featuring Malcolm Christopher, Ken Baker and Roy Ward Baker
Previously unseen extended version of 'The Beginning' featuring specially shot bookend sequences
Artistes test footage
Nearly thirty minutes of incidental music by Edwin Astley, Robert Farnon and Albert Elms, prepared as a musical suite and accompanied by an extensive image gallery including many behind the scenes stills
The Legend of the Champions - a feature-length compilation of The Beginning and The Interrogation, made by ITC for the overseas market in the early 1980s
Episodic Trailer gallery - a gallery of the nineteen remaining Champions trailers (with UK and US soundtracks), specially transferred from the original film elements for use in this set.
Generic trailer gallery - a gallery of various generic trailers of differing lengths which have been transferred from the original film elements for use in this set.
Specially filmed 'Channel 9' promos
Merchandise Image Gallery of Champions memorabilia showcasing images of the merchandise produced for The Champions during the sixties and early seventies. It includes the full fronts and backs of all the Champions trading cards.
Annual Material PDF - The Champions featured as an ongoing strip in the Joe 90 Top Secret comic
Reconstructed ad-caps
Variant Titles featuring unused title music composed by Robert Farnon
A commemorative booklet featuring an in-depth essay on the making of The Champions by Mike Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars They are still THE CHAMPIONS., 12 Feb 2009
Graham Walters (UK) - See all my reviews
Having experienced THE CHAMPIONS phenomena at the time i can still remember how special this series was and in hindsite having viewed all the discs in this set, or rather savoured them since christmas 2008 when i purchased the set from amazon,i thoroughly enjoyed viewing them all and especialy the documentry's,re-union and commentry's by the cast.I'm really glad i bought this set to re watch at my leisure,from a time when we had 3 terrestial channels and tv series like this were an event,of all the ITC series wich i really loved this is definetly my fave and brought back memories of the champions bubble gum cards we used to collect and swap in the playground at school and how we replayed episodes of the champions.If you are a champions fan this set needs no reccomendation from me...you know its great and you will buy it anyway,for newer fans buy it to see what all the fuss was about and you won't be dissapointed. Not sure about a proposed movie sequel or new series,but,if it starts champions mania all over so be it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Nostalgia!, 16 Jun 2009
Ms. Elizabeth Childs "birthdaydiva" (Herefordshire Gt Britain) - See all my reviews
I'd recently seen a couple of episodes of the Champions off of the digital channel and enjoyed them, so looked it up on Amazon and decided to purchase it. I'm really enjoying them!

Good to see all the extras on the dvds, especially the reuniting of the three main characters some years ago.

A truly classic series revived and remastered - a delight to watch again!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Champions Review (from my wife), 20 Feb 2011
Birthday Present Review

Over to my wife for her review ...

My in-laws always ask if there's anything I'd like for my birthday (they don't do surprises) and last year I told my husband that when I was 8 I was in love with Stuart Damon from the Champions and I'd seen the complete box set was now available on Amazon...

Hubby had never heard of the series - being a few years younger he'd missed it and had never caught a repeat. I'd never seen the repeat, being at work at the time it was supposedly shown. So I explained the premise of the series as I recalled it from (loud cough) over 35 years earlier - and how it was an absolute favourite of mine. I told him the characters had super senses but in a realistic un- silly way.

For some reason I remember little snippets - Sharron flicking through a book and then having perfect recall. It was so realistic, that I thought I'd better have a go myself - so with my copy of Alison Uttley's "A Traveller in Time" which was my book of the moment, I flicked through and couldn't see any words at all, just a blur, so alas I'd not been turned into a Champion in my sleep after all!

The adult me though is on episode four so far and having a wonderful time. Hubby has watched them all with me, so it's male-friendly too. I've been entertained just as much as when I was 8 and now I can understand all of the plotlines (yep there were some!) I can appreciate the inter-cast rapport and humour, and enjoy the 1960's unique colour palette on film. I'm so glad that this series was made just before those 1970's fashions came in. When Roger Moore became James Bond in bell-bottoms and huge ties, it looked very funny. The Champions thankfully come very well dressed. Always was impressed by a neat guy in a suit (my dad used to wear a suit for work, so he naturally set the standard). I thought Alexandra Bastedo was very calm and collected and best of all, sensible. I appreciated sensible, as I was rather a sensible child myself, but not averse to a bit of magic and mystery at the same time. I didn't quite know what to make of her (I hadn't yet encountered a "blonde" before her, and it was the first time I'd seen a beehive) but I decided I liked all of the Champions and they were all worthy heroes. As for Richard Barrett - it was his voice that I especially found kind of enchanting, it was just so unique! I found myself especially drawn to his intonation and raspiness!

This series is from a golden era of imaginative tv. Plus when you're 8, it's always good to know who the "goodies" and who the "baddies" were. It's far more complicated today. The huge map in Tremayne's office basically shows you where "Russia" was, and where "China" was - and that's all you basically needed to know!

All in all, this is an excellent value set, and the reproduction standard is excellent. I like the fact that there's the intro, the great theme music and then you're into the story. You get the end credits per episode too. Some series' on dvd just give you the theme music at the beginning of the dvd and each episode then runs into each other. I feel cheated, it's just not the same! But this set gives you the thrill of it being just as it was broadcast - but with the bonus of no adverts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent box set, don't miss it !!!, 23 Feb 2010
I watched "The Champions" when I was a teenager and I'm sure a lot of people remember them nowadays, in particular, for the incredible powers acquired by every hero, as the telepathy. Some words to describe the series: action, intellect, mystery, decency, fascination. After buying the box set, I watch once and once again some chapters and they do not bore me. I always find new details in every story and also the musical score is very good, so, I highly recommend this classic TV series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic and original, 6 Sep 2009
K. Hewlett - See all my reviews
One of the more original series from the 1960s based loosely on ideas in James Hiltons novel, Lost Horizon published in 1933. ( A Capra vehicle four years later )
I remember reading at the time of its release that all of the feats accomplished at various times in the episodes by the three characters had already been achieved by a human. Extraordinary but I accepted it at the time.
Barrett and Stirling had worked successfully for some time. The recently widowed Macready was assigned by puppet master Tremayne only for the mission in Tibet. As a doctor and an accomplished biochemist her expertise was vital in the task to collect samples from a secret biological warfare establishment in the Himalayas.
Although initially sucessful a plane crash puts the trio in mortal danger. Saved by mysterious and secretive people of a lost civilisation and endowed with special poweres they return to their former life.
The players.
I am at a loss to understand why a very good looking actor like Stuart Damon did not go on to a more distinguished career. He delivered his lines well, appeared to have an amiable disposition and possessed an athletic build.
William Gaunt subsequently turned in some equally good performances. He particularly excelled as a sinister villain in more than one of them. Very under rated and under used in my opinion for what its worth.
Alexandra Bastedo delivered a male role whilst always exhibiting total feminity. Today actresses playing similar roles have to both dress and deliver a performance as a pale imitation of the men with whom they share the screen. They would do worse than study Miss Macready's deportment throughout this series.
I can recommend her book Beware, Dobermans, Donkeys and Ducks. Autobiographical it details her career. Complete, honest and revealing it is also very humourous.
The series may lack some of the technical sophistication of today's offerings but delivers good production values and more than a little humour. I can recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

The Champions: The Complete Series [DVD]
The Champions: The Complete Series [DVD] by Leslie Norman (DVD - 2010)
26.25