Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.49

on 9 January 2007
Octogenarian? Impossible! Tony Bennett teams up with current stars to delight with well-loved standards and a few which were new to me. How many times must he have sung "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" in his career? It must be in the hundreds. Yet it still comes out fresh from the Master. His duet with George Michael on "How Do You Keep the Music Playing?" shows his voice has lost nothing over the years. It brought a tear to my eye. A beautiful album.
on 19 October 2006
This album of duets has been released to celebrate Tony Bennett's 80th birthday but listening to the album it is impossible to believe you are listening to an 80 year old singing. While Tony's voice may not have the power and range of his prime it is still an excellent instrument and a joy to listen to and there is no one who can match his skill and experience when it comes to singing the great American songbook.

I cannot claim to have been familiar with all the artists who appear on this album but having heard their excellent performances I will be trying out some of their other work. Foe me a few of the highlights were `Smile' with Barbra Streisand, `Shadow of your smile' with Juanes, `Because of you' with kd lang and `How do you keep the music playing ` with George Michael.

All of the songs will be familiar to Bennett fans and many appear on the numerous compilation albums of his work. These are the songs that he has sung for years. He has never compromised as a singer always singing the songs he wanted to in his own style rather than being a slave to passing fashions in popular music. This has meant that his popularity has varied over the years but gives his work an integrity and strength that each new generation rediscovers.

This is a wonderful album that I have listened to at least once a day since I got it and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys good music and good singing.

Happy Birthday Tony.
on 7 October 2011
The is a great albums and one that people will play for the rest if their life, it never goes and of fashion it's timeless. The Artists were very sensible to be on the recoding and the will be frozen in time with Bennett, my comments otherwise are as much the same as for New Album Duets 2. So if you buy this, then go for the new one it's great Duets II
on 14 November 2011
Some get better -every year.
Tony Bennett was good, when grandad was young - better when dad fell in love with mother - and best now, that YOU are here. Go buy this timeless piece of immortal American Lore.
Frits from Denmark.
on 14 October 2011
It never fails to amaze me that in spite of his age, the voice remains fantastic and this CD is wonderful.
Lovely that so many much younger singers agreed to duet with him singing songs which were popular, before some were born, so at my age I am able to join in. Some of my favourites are included "The very thought of you", "The shadow of your smile" and, needless to say "I left my heart in San Francisco", having said that, I love the lot. How I wish there were more vocalists as good.
on 2 May 2015
I bought Duets II when it came out, but must have missed this. Tony Bennett has been a Class Act for over 60 years - and all the tracks are a joy to listen to. The artistes clearly enjoyed working with him, as the TV program which has been shown about this project bears testimony.
on 14 June 2011
Duets An American ClassicThis is a fabulous cd to mark Tony Bennetts 80th birthday. What a voice !!The artists who sing with him on this cd all do a great job but Tony outshines them all without even trying. I would recommend this to anyone who loves good music.A real feelgood album.
on 11 August 2014
What can I say that has not been said before? This is fabulous, and Tony Bennett's voice gets better and better. He KNOWS what to do with music and his voice as he has aged. And the duet partners are wonderful, as are the song choices. Made me happy to listen to it.
on 18 October 2014
Simply beautiful, and a real eye-opener. I was pleasantly surprised by how well some of the younger singers performed these classics, and Tony Bennett is on fine form. I'm buying the other two volumes as well😊
on 28 December 2013
I absolutely adored hiz first album, and thought that could not be bettered.
How wrong could I be. he haz upstaged himself here and equalled if not bettered his duets with some of the world's finest artists. Beautiful, easy listening. It doesn't get better than this folks!