Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.49

on 9 January 2007
Octogenarian? Impossible! Tony Bennett teams up with current stars to delight with well-loved standards and a few which were new to me. How many times must he have sung "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" in his career? It must be in the hundreds. Yet it still comes out fresh from the Master. His duet with George Michael on "How Do You Keep the Music Playing?" shows his voice has lost nothing over the years. It brought a tear to my eye. A beautiful album.
on 19 October 2006
This album of duets has been released to celebrate Tony Bennett's 80th birthday but listening to the album it is impossible to believe you are listening to an 80 year old singing. While Tony's voice may not have the power and range of his prime it is still an excellent instrument and a joy to listen to and there is no one who can match his skill and experience when it comes to singing the great American songbook.

I cannot claim to have been familiar with all the artists who appear on this album but having heard their excellent performances I will be trying out some of their other work. Foe me a few of the highlights were `Smile' with Barbra Streisand, `Shadow of your smile' with Juanes, `Because of you' with kd lang and `How do you keep the music playing ` with George Michael.

All of the songs will be familiar to Bennett fans and many appear on the numerous compilation albums of his work. These are the songs that he has sung for years. He has never compromised as a singer always singing the songs he wanted to in his own style rather than being a slave to passing fashions in popular music. This has meant that his popularity has varied over the years but gives his work an integrity and strength that each new generation rediscovers.

This is a wonderful album that I have listened to at least once a day since I got it and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys good music and good singing.

Happy Birthday Tony.
on 14 October 2011
It never fails to amaze me that in spite of his age, the voice remains fantastic and this CD is wonderful.
Lovely that so many much younger singers agreed to duet with him singing songs which were popular, before some were born, so at my age I am able to join in. Some of my favourites are included "The very thought of you", "The shadow of your smile" and, needless to say "I left my heart in San Francisco", having said that, I love the lot. How I wish there were more vocalists as good.
on 7 October 2011
The is a great albums and one that people will play for the rest if their life, it never goes and of fashion it's timeless. The Artists were very sensible to be on the recoding and the will be frozen in time with Bennett, my comments otherwise are as much the same as for New Album Duets 2. So if you buy this, then go for the new one it's great Duets II
on 14 June 2011
Duets An American ClassicThis is a fabulous cd to mark Tony Bennetts 80th birthday. What a voice !!The artists who sing with him on this cd all do a great job but Tony outshines them all without even trying. I would recommend this to anyone who loves good music.A real feelgood album.
on 12 December 2011
Firstly the Duets2 - Into Tony Bennett and just in awe of his magnetism even at 85. The joy and pleasure and happiness that come through his singing on this CD is infectious. Just love the range of artists too - and it's great to hear the guests often singing in a different way, or singing different styles of songs - quite enlightening. It shows someone like Lady Gaga in agreat light. Wish she sung other stuff like this too.
Just great - and dare to hope that Tony can do another at 90 - or sooner! A duet wtih Adele would be something.
The Duets1 which I bought AFTER Duets 2 - is great too - also playing it to death - the first few tracks are a bit duller - as not much interaction with the duestists - but the rest is brilliant - especially Stevie Wonder one.
Best of all is Tony Bennett and Bill Evans I also bought - and is just impossible not to listen to. The songs grow on you and get deeper and deeper, beautiful combination and inventive.
on 14 November 2011
Some get better -every year.
Tony Bennett was good, when grandad was young - better when dad fell in love with mother - and best now, that YOU are here. Go buy this timeless piece of immortal American Lore.
Frits from Denmark.
on 30 January 2012
both the duets albums are fantastic, a true master at his best. no wonder they queue up to duet with him. this album is one of my favourite ever.
on 26 November 2011
Every track is worthy of its inclusion in this excellent Classic Tony Bennett 'Duets.' Delivered on time via Amazon of course, it will give the listener hours of pleasure over the years. Probably our favourite is George Michael and Tony's rendition of "How do you keep the music playing?" Beautifully arranged apart possibly from the last few bars when Tony Bennett ends with what sounds (to me anyway) like Tony practising his scales to end in a crescendo of sound. Yes it would be excellent if you were watching him on stage but in the privacy of your lounge it has a slightly 'over the top' feel about it on a CD. I wonder if I'm alone in this? At the moment George Michael is not at all well and we all wish him a speedy recovery. This George Michael recording is on a par with Amy Whitehouse and Tony Bennett's duet on Duets 2. Being a lover of Ella and Sarah I never realised how versatile Amy was. Thanks to Tony Bennett I do now. Both CD's will please.
on 22 January 2012
This album really shows Tony Bennett to be the legend he truly is blending easily with the best of today's artists. I particularly like his recording of The Good Life with Billy Joel. Great stuff!