Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having tried and tested several accounting packages, I switched to Business Accountz Professional nearly 2 years ago and have never looked back. I'm not an accountant and have little patience with accounts so easy-to-use, intuitive software which does the job for me is essential.

Using Accountz is as straight-forward as setting up a list of suppliers and expenses then setting up a separate list of income sources and as transactions are made, these are entered either an income or expenditure. Tansactions are entered one at a time in any order - sales income from... (source - eg product sales, service provided...), money goes to... (eg cash account, bank account, PayPal account...) and then a further tick-box can be clicked when the invoice has been paid (or left blank if unpaid). When it's time to reconcile bank accounts, a click-box on the right of each bank transaction record can be ticked to show that it's been tallied against bank statements for quick and easy reconciliation. As each item is entered or reconciled, ie bank account reconciliations, invoice payments received etc, then the 'profit' figure and bank balance/cash balance adjusts to reflect this. It's logical, common-sense and easily understood by complete novices such as myself.

At the end of the financial year when it's time to produce the annual Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss trading accounts, these are automatically created within the Chart of Accounts simply by clicking on the 'Trial Balance', 'Balance Sheet' or 'P&L Account' tabs. This must sound ridiculously simple - but this is exactly how easy it is! My annual trading accounts were produced in seconds - accurate, fully-balanced and tallied against my bank account, PayPal account and cash account balances. The reports can then be edited and customised with your own titles and headings and then printed as annual year-end accounts.

In use, the package is quite forgiving. Once transactions are entered then they can be altered eg should an error be made and income/expense group headings can be changed - including after entering data. In some alternative packages this is fixed so adapting headings to changing needs or correcting an input error becomes a complex or impossible process- not so with Business Accountz. For me, as a total novice learning as I go along, this is important.

I have three small businesses and have been able to use this software for all three while keeping each invidual set of account separate - a valuable feature of the Professional edition. As my three businesses are not VAT registered, I haven't been able to test this in a 'real world' scenario but I have no reason to suspect that the feature wouldn't perform as well as every other facet of the package which also includes designing and printing invoices, providing quotes and estimates and managing customers.

Also worthy of a mention is the superb customer support available from Accountz.com, a British company based in Cambridgeshire. I had to contact them on two occasions and each time they replied via email within a few hours providing knowledgeable and comprehensive support advice and information and took care to ensure that all questions asked had been answered to my complete satisfaction.

An excellent product with excellent user-support.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
OK, I tried the basic and felt pretty short changed but when you up to the professional, it demonstrates clearly why this one costs more. It does a hell of a lot for the user, it's relatively simple and when you start looking into the more advanced functions it will do what the user requires to keep various money involved people happy.

Add to the mix a more comprehensive help guide, an easy cross reference system so that you can keep an eye on customer trends as well as keeping everything from invoicing to orders to hand.

Its definitely one of the better accounting packages out there and will help a layman work a lot of the things out that would have cost them a fortune from an accountant. (Plus you're not likely to find Ken Dodd's guy here.)

All in pretty descent value for money and with the changes you can understand why it's the price it is.
on 7 July 2010
Accountz was recommended to me as a simple bookkeeping package for someone with little bookkeeping experience. I have been using this software to run my business accounts now for 12 months. Despite my lack of bookkeeping knowledge I have been able to keep a very comprehensive set of accounts and I have found it fast and easy to use - my accountant is going to be so impressed!
I think the best thing about Accountz for me though is their fantastic customer service - I took out their service package and when ever I have phoned them with a query they have been fantastically supportive and patient - explaining my errors and teaching me how to do things better in the future. This alone must have saved me days across the year - making my choice to buy Accountz an even better investment.
on 21 October 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I run a small business and am too stubborn to pay an accountant. For the last year I've managed to cope with a simple google spreadsheet solution, and given a low number of transactions that kind of worked. Eventually though, you do get all kinds of double entry errors if you are not a book-keeper and the effort to sort stuff out was becoming too much. So I took the plunge with this dedicated solution. Cheaper than an accountant and cheaper than Sage.

The best way to learn was to enter all my historical data from my spreadsheets. The reason it only gets four stars is that the user interface wouldn't win instant prizes for being intuitive. That said, it took less than half an hour for me to get in the swing and pick up the basics. Very quickly, I'd put all my data in - and suddenly I was able to produce a proper balance sheet and P&L at the touch of a button. The real benefit though came a couple of weeks later when it was time to do the VAT return. A job the usually takes me a couple of hours, and even then I was never sure I had got it right, this time only took a mouse click. Brilliant. All the right values for the VAT return fed to me.

I am hopeful my year end will be as simple and I can file with Companies House with little effort. A good package, and it will hold me off from having to finally admit defeat and get a proper accountant for another couple of years. When I do have to do that, I've no doubt they will be cheaper because all my basics should be in very good order.

Useful software for fledgling/growing small business.
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As an entrepreneur I have been running 'cash-based' spreadsheets for years.

The problem with spreadsheets is their inability to easily pull out profit and loss statements, a balance sheet and projecting your bills payable forward so you know what is on the horizon for payment.

Typing errors also easily creep in so there is a need to be 'eternally vigilant' when using this method.

Business Accountz Pro eliminates all of these issues.

There is a learning curve with this package - as with all accounting software, and you do need to go through the instructions regarding the methodology of the package reasonably carefully to get the best from it, but don't let that put you off.

The package is easy to navigate, easy to use, corrections are straight forward (unlike some packages which do not allow corrections but require general ledger entries - yukkk!), and it does what it says on the tin - produces detailed information on expenses, bank reconciliation, balance sheet, vat returns - what's not to like?

Having used (and abandoned) a variety of packages in the past such as soho, quickbooks, sage, I can state without fear of contradiction this has been the quickest and easiest to learn and use. Perfect for the small to medium sized business - get it, learn it, use it and start discovering the beauty of having business information at the press of a button.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this software for a friend who's a self employed building contractor, was paying over £1500 yearly to an accountant, and although a bright as a button is not numerically inclined and was quite happy to let somebody else 'do the books....'

The software was easily installed and after an hour of entering example figures to see how the program worked we had gained enough 'experience' to be confident enough to start entering in his actual figures to begin to establish this years profit and loss. We initially entered all income and expenditure from April through to July of this year which took us around two hours. The interface was quite easy to use and follow and we very quickly had had a very accurate set of quarterly accounts. Since July he now spends around an hour each month 'doing the books' and is totally confident in operating the program having had it up and running for 5 months. There was a point when he had a query in relation to VAT and the customer support emailed him back within three hours with clear concise instructions which solved the query.

So, although we haven't used the program to its full potential (The Professional edition can comfortably handle data for medium sized businesses), I would encourage any small business user who thinks that doing their own accounts is beyond them to purchase this product with total confidence. If you're able to input numbers onto a spread sheet then you'll certainly be able to use Business Accountz with ease, and within a short time - without even having to think about it.... The hardest part is learning the basics of how to use it, but for that initial application it's going to be time well spent (and money in accountancy fees well saved)......
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Accountz Pro is the mid-range accounting system from ACCOUNTZ. As such it has more functionality than the Business Basics package, but less than the Enterprise package. This is squarely aimed at small to medium sized businesses who want to minimise on accounting costs, whilst still being able to produce professional documentation from ordinary blank paper. The system is versatile, and reasonably easy to master with a little patience. The live profit and loss accounting facility is very useful, as is the one click approach to many of the functions. My wife uses this package for her home based business, whilst I use the more comprehensive Enterprise Accountz. Enterprise is a superb piece of software, and as Pro is a slimmed down version of that, it too is (IMHO) unsurpassed. As Accountz point out, this software saves you a lot of money & time, especially on expensive pre-printed stationery. One of the best things is that it is compatible with most operating systems, as well as Netbooks. Thats something that is a major failing with similar packages. So, it's easy to install, quite easy to use, has great support from the on-line forum and from the manufacturer, and saves you time, money & effort. A very good package indeed, if a little expensive in initial outlay.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This installed easily, runs smoothly and generally does everything I've asked of it (but see below). Whether you need the Professional version is another matter; check the Feature Matrix on the Accountz website.

There's a bit of a learning curve but the interface is well thought-out and should present no significant difficulties. I speak as an IT Consultant but a confirmed non-accountant!

Unfortunately, I've found a number of bugs. I can deal with most of them but what bothers me most is that there may be others I don't spot. There are plenty of irritations too - things that don't work as expected or are badly implemented.

Overall, Accountz has plenty of potential but I feel it's a bit of a 'work-in-progress'. I wouldn't say "don't buy it" but would certainly suggest checking out the competition before committing yourself.
VINE VOICEon 19 March 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was surprised how simple the interface was to this package and how you really don't have to be a genius to use it! Keeping track of everything has never been so easy and once I'd transferred all the data from my spreadsheets which i've been manually updating to find this does everything for you at the click of the button including the dreaded VAT returns!! Everything is accurately logged and taken care of and for the price, the amount you could potentially save by not employing an accountant it's perfect, does the job, you can view individual customer orders and keep check of outstanding payments, fantastic package and I can't emphasise how easy it actually is! Definitely worth getting over the Basic version.
on 18 November 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having had the privilege of using a previous version of this it was then and is now a breath of fresh air to use a accountancy and business package that is tailored towards the British. It's nice and easy to use and the setting up guide is especially useful to get things right from the off - all the different versions offer different things of course and the more you pay the more you get but fear not you are able to purchase the extra's at a later date if you please. Looking at the comparison charts of what each version offers is worthwhile and cost effective.

Customising your paperwork is fairly easy and is something I'd recommend from a marketing point of view. Spending time to learn how it works is beneficial as it will help you run your business better whether your'e a sole trader or a business employing a fair amount of staff.

You get support from the company that makes it and there are support forums available too which make this a good catch too.

So why only the 4 star rating? Well to be fair it's not exactly developed substantially over the last couple of years enough to warrant being a bigger better package! Doing the books isn't fun nor never will be but this makes things easier and faster which in my view is a good thing... I can seriously state "avoid the more well known names for accountancy packages and try this", you wont be dissapointed.