4.0 out of 5 stars UncomplicatedvHome Accountz
Ever since Quicken decided to quit the UK I've been searching for a "simple", no, uncomplicated method of keeping my home monies in order. Home Accountz does this with ease and, at the outset, my 71 year old mind could fathom some aspects. A simple phone call put it right. They're nice people.
Published on 14 Jun. 2010 by Colin Brittain

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for new users - hopeless if you want your Quicken data
I think this program is a bit of a mixed bag and the thing that will split people is: were you hoping to transfer from a previous package? My experiences are those of a Quicken user; Iam unable to comment on the process from Money.

Published on 18 Sept. 2010 by Caroline P.

4.0 out of 5 stars UncomplicatedvHome Accountz, 14 Jun. 2010
Colin Brittain (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux) (CD-ROM)

4.0 out of 5 stars Try before you buy, then buy (especially at this price), 14 Jun. 2010
T. Knight (Anglesey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux) (CD-ROM)
I read the reviews for the previous version of this software which were quite mixed. So I decided to have a look on their website and found I could download a free 30-Day evaluation copy which I have done. Unfortunately, after downloading the 80MB+ file and installing, it searched for an update and downloaded another 66MB! So, it's good that they're updating the software, but a shame that they don't put the most up to date version on the download link.

I exported my MSMoney data (about 10MB) and imported it into Home Accountz without any difficulty. There were a number of comments in reviews of the previous version about how long winded this process is, but I think that's people with unrealistic ideas on data migration. Just follow the instructions, tidy up any errors and Bob's your Uncle!

The way in which the data is displayed was also a criticism from other reviewers. It is different from MSMoney but it would just take a little while to get used to it. Home Accountz seems to do everything that MSMoney does, just in a different way.

Although I like MSMoney, it's no longer available and it's no longer supported, so I need to migrate to something else. Home Accountz seems to only have been out for a few weeks, replacing the older Personal Accountz, and I was very impressed with the functionality so far and the on-line forums where I searched for a few features that I couldn't find. It's really good to find a UK Company filling this gap in the market.

Missing features (or at least I couldn't find them) include: Password protection for the file; importing of data downloaded from the bank (transactions and statement reconciliation); and archiving of old/redundant data. Most of these are already promised as upgrades, so I will definitely buy and migrate to Home Accountz when it is a little more mature, probably in a few months time. I have been searching for a couple of years for an acceptable replacement for MSMoney and am very relieved to have found one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Confused (but not dot com), 22 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux) (CD-ROM)
I happened across the reviews here when looking for something else on Amazon and decided to read them purely out of interest. I've used this software's predecessor Personal Accountz for many years and because of the companies track record, jumped in and started with a very early copy of Home Accountz. I'm amazed to read the negative reviews - it's almost as if they're talking about a different package!

Checking out their user forum, the reviewer here who had trouble importing from Personal Accountz is not alone - but I didn't. I followed their instructions and it worked perfectly. Not sure what's special about my setup to make it work as expected and I'm certainly no genius! An ugly GUI is personal opinion but it looks absolutely fine to me! And as for ease of use, I'm not sure how to make it easier. When I buy groceries i enter a transaction as being FROM current account TO groceries. To me that's logical and easy. There's even a place to enter a payee so if you want to differentiate between money spent on groceries at Sainsbury or Tesco, you can do that too. The workings follow standard accounting procedures but unless you're used to accounting, you wouldn't know that. The layout of data makes it easy to follow - at least, I think it does hence my confusion that some criticise its ease of use.

Most importantly, the support from Accountz is probably the best I've come across. OK, the program on launch had a few minor glitches - what program doesn't - but for me they were just that, minor glitches. Accountz have released several updates in response to users not only finding these glitches but making suggestions that "such and such would be a nice feature" so the software is evolving almost daily. If you have a problem you'll likely get a quick resolution from the user forum or from contacting Accountz.

Would I suggest you buy this? Certainly. Is it perfect? Not till next Friday ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for new users - hopeless if you want your Quicken data, 18 Sept. 2010
Caroline P. (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

First the basics. The program installs very easily. I like software which allows you full control over where you store things whilst offering simple defaults for novice users. Full marks were earned there. You should note that you can only install the software once. This is not as awful as it sounds, although you do have to visit the Accountz forum to find out which files you need to back up - these can be reinstalled if you change your PC. In addition, they state that you can contact them if you have changed machine and they will confirm your new installation.

I admit my first ten minutes with this software were completely baffling! I then started to work through the 'walkthrough' in the simple getting started guide. Things soon began to fall into place. (And also, to be fair, I've had 15 years practice of just doing things the "Quicken way"). I had a little hiccup when the date defaulted to 2020 (!) which I didn't notice for a bit. However I felt quite impressed with the sheer flexibility of the software. Really, you can arrange things just how you want them and change them pretty much any way you want to in the future. In this respect, I think it is a fair bit more flexible than Quicken. I was soon understanding how to enter stuff and how things worked together. For new users, then - or people willing to abandon a previous Quicken history - I think this is a pretty solid piece of software. It does vary a little between being intuitive in places and then pretty confusing at other times, but I never found it too difficult to sort out the confusions. As mentioned, there are user forums online if you want to seek some more help. The one weakness that I didn't like is that you can't enter share prices for any shares you own, only the initial purchase.

Having got to grip with Home Accountz, I decided it was time to try and import my Quicken files. Like many people, I've been looking for a Quicken replacement since they stopped selling it in the UK. I had knocked my Quicken file down to the last 3 years only, in the hope this might make life less complicated.

The process took hours. I didn't mind this. It's something you only expect to do once and I know my Quicken setup is relatively complicated (lots of memorised transaction, lots of categories, shares, share ISAs and about a dozen 'Goals'). You have to manually enter each of your accounts. You also have to manually enter all your categories, other than the ones that match Accountz' defaults (not all that many for me!). It is a tedious process but not a difficult one as all the information from both sides is on the screen in front of you. (This does beg the question that if Accountz can read all of your Quicken categories, why can it not just import that structure rather than making you do it manually?). It was easy to overlook mapping something and I must have pressed 'Proceed' about 5 times to be told I'd missed something - highlighting what it was I'd missed would have helped here. But, as I say, you only expect to do it once and I was prepared to spend the time.

Then I told it to proceed with the import. This only took a few minutes. But after that...

...oh dear! The first thing I noticed was the loss of several thousand pounds to my net worth. Hmmm. Then I looked down the list of balances for each account. Scarcely any of them matched the Quicken balances (which I know are correct). One of my savings accounts now appeared to be £180 in deficit. £300 had vanished from my bank account. One ISA was now empty and my Premium Bonds appeared to have been eaten. Oh, and I appear to owe £800 to the Stock Exchange, my shares seemingly vanished into thin air. On the plus side, my mortgage company seems to now owe ME money instead of the other way round!

In short, the mess is so overwhelming I absolutely wouldn't know where to begin. In addition, it's clear that Accountz simply cannot handle Quicken 'Goals' nor transactions that have split categories. But I am baffled how simple things like credit card balances can be totally inaccurate. In short, after a lot of work, the transfer of data was a total failure. :-(

In summary, this program needs two different star ratings. If you're new to home accounts, or are willing & happy to start afresh, I would give it 4 stars.

If you were hoping to transfer your data from another program, I would give it no stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Homw accountz package, 27 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux) (CD-ROM)
I bought this brand new package to enable me to forward plan my money, the Automated transactions enable me to do just that, ie I have monthly,28 days and annual payments and I need to know when they are comming up. I am useless at software so I took a gamble on this new software which has paid off. I rang accountz with a couple of queries which were handled immediatley. being new software, as expected, I have received a fair number of upgrades. I would recommend this package and would add, if I can handle this, anyone can.

Tim Denyer

1.0 out of 5 stars I've had it for nearly a year now - read on!, 10 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux) (CD-ROM)
I have done lots of beta testing for a variety of financial software companies but never have I ever had to pay for the software first!

I bought Home Accountz last May when it was first released and, as far as I am concerned, it is still in the beta stage. There are so many things wrong with it that still have not been put right despite many promises from support staff. A simple thing like password protection still does not exist, 'save as' does not exist, just try importing MS Money files with a few years of data, try copying and pasting, the list goes on. Have a look at the forum.

At the moment I have no confidence in the product and I still run Money 2005. I am now trying out a US version of Quicken 2009 converted to GB Pounds. Out of the three Home Accountz comes a very poor third.

UPDATE 9th May 2011
The program now has a 'password' facility and also 'save as'. Other issues which I did not refer to above, raised by other users, have also been rectified. Home Accountz has potential but I'm sold on Quicken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Home Accounting, 15 Sept. 2010
Mr. T. S. James (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Up until now I had always used just a simple Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my monthly costs and expenses. Whilst this was fine it did not give much room for future planning and other analysis of my income and spending. So I decided to plump for a dedicated Home Accounts package that was simple to use but had all the features I wanted.

First off this product can be used on Windows, Mac or Linux so is perfect for everyone. I'm a Mac user so find it difficult to get decent software that is compatible. My main use with this software is to be able to keep track of my monthly spending so that I can see at the end of the month exactly what I am going to have left over to save or spend on a necessary purchase. It's simple enough to use, just enter your monthly salary and then insert all the various transactions over the course of the month. You can set this up so it continues month on month and regular transactions can be ear marked so that they always show on your monthly expenditure. Not only does this software keep track of your main bank account, but it can also be used to track savings accounts, credit cards and more. At the moment I'm only using it to manage my main bank account, but may use it in the future for all my accounts as I become more familiar with using the product.

Another reason for me purchasing this software was so that I can budget each month and plan for things in the future, i.e holidays, getting a new car or other expensive purchase. This software allows you to do that and can calculate how long it will take you to reach your goal. Although that said it does help if you actually stick to the budget you have set otherwise you constantly have to revise the forecast in the software and it will ultimately take you longer to obtain your goal.

Another feature that I use is the ability to import bank statements. This is handy as I frequently like to check through my pile of receipts every couple of weeks to make sure everything tallies up and to see if I have over or under spent during the course of the month.

Overall this software is very good, with some nice features and makes a change from the Excel spreadsheet accounting that I have been sued to for so many years. I think for a Home Accounts package it is reasonably priced for what you get and should help anyone wanting more manageability over their finances.

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the few home finance software packages left, 9 Sept. 2010
Dr. Paul Ell (NI, UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I would have thought that there would be a significant market for software which allows you to track your expenditure, the balance on various bank and credit card accounts and more. Apparently this is not the case as both MS Money and Quicken have been withdrawn from the UK market. I'm a long-term Quicken user and have searched for alternate software for some time. This search has become ever more desperate as I continue to use Quicken 2004 for Windows but currently have a Mac running Snow Leopard. The work around is to run Windows 7 using Parallels or Boot Camp on the Mac. However, you need the Windows 7 Ultimate version, which will run software built for Windows XP, as Quicken won't run under the standard Windows 7 installation. At some point I'm going to have to jump ship therefore.

Home Accountz does appear to be a viable replacement product to Quicken. However, like many home finance users I have a lot of legacy data. It is possible to import these data into Accountz exporting from Quicken as a .QIF file. It's also possible, by selecting 'all accounts', to bring all the financial data over in once go. In my case this was made more complex as Quicken is running under Windows but I'm using Accountz using Snow Leopard. Having moved the, large, file over to the Mac OS I'm afraid like many users I was faced with the nightmare of trying to import years of data and multiple accounts into Accountz. This is not a seamless process with a great deal of typing required to make sure that entries from Quicken translate correctly into Accountz. I have to say that after about two hours of doing this I largely lost the will to live and gave up. I think I will have to wait until there is no way to run Quicken before I migrate all the data over.

However, for a new user, setting up accounts from scratch, Accountz has good functionality and is about the only alternative to MS Money or Quicken. It allows fast entry of transactions, handles multiple currencies, can predict overdrafts, cover repeat transactions and more. The interface is significantly different to MS Money or Quicken and takes a bit of getting used to but, again, for a new user this probably would not be a problem.

I suspect in the long term I will start using Accountz, first in parallel to Quicken, and then exclusively, not least because there's little other choice. For new users the software should probably be awarded a 4 star rating but the manufacturers should be aware that many of their users will be making forced transitions from other software and will have legacy data. They need to ease the importation of this data into Accountz. So, for me, it gets three stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Home Accountz, 2 July 2010
Paul Morgan (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux) (CD-ROM)
Initial impressions very unfavourable. CD version would either run very slowly or not at all and crashed repeatedly when importing QIF files exported from Microsoft Money. Took a number of upgrades to get to a useable system. Now running OK, but functionality is a mixed bag. Doesn't handle bills as well as MS Money did. I'd almost rather keep an WinXP system to run MS Money, but needed to upgrade hardware and now have Windows 7, so with MS Money no longer being upgraded (shame on Microsoft) and Quicken also abandoning the market, needed a new home finance software package. Licence key also a pain - after registering with the provided licence key, decided to re-install after repeated crashes. Tried to re-activate using the supplied licence key - no go! Had to get Accountz customer support to issue new licence key, which worked fine.
At least now the program works so that I can again check all my bank account, credit cards, etc. However, doesn't seem to be any obvious way to hide closed accounts. Overall a frustrating experience.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm so disappointed with what could have been a good product, 1 Sept. 2010
Ralph Bacon "Aresby" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux) (CD-ROM)
As a user of Microsoft Money for the past 19 years I have been looking for a replacement product as a direct result of Microsoft's decision to no longer develop or support Money.

Accountz works somewhat differently to MS Money but I was prepared to give it a go.

The first thing I noticed is that it seems to treat each 'category' of a payment (eg Petrol, Food, Clothing) as a mini Account in its own right. It took me a while to figure out what was going on here, as I logically expect each payment to belong to a specific account, and for each payment to be assigned a category of payment. I noticed that it didn't offer to create these on-the-fly either, it just deleted my typed entry until I had created it.

Part of the reason it took me a while to figure out how it all worked is that the supplied documentation is poor. The online documentation, whilst well laid out is lacking in depth and pedestrian in pace as they provide videos of the many processes. They need narrating by a professional with the speed of the video improved if they are going to keep my attention.

There's no doubting that there are many features in Accountz waiting to be discovered (such as the simple CTRL-N to create a new transaction). It's just a pity that I could not find an easy way of discovering these when I needed them.

I'm sorry to say the Accountz interface looked a bit clunky and far less polished than even the 5 year old Money product I'm hoping to migrate from. Talking of migration, this is where the trouble started. I had to export my Money file, one account at a time (not Accountz' fault, it's the way QIF files work). Then I tried to import an account's worth (one QIF file) of information into Accountz. It presented me with a 12 page screen where I had to map the categories from the old system to the new system. I could either drag and drop a category from Accountz to the imported information or vice-versa. This would have taken me days to do - all I needed at this point was a "Create a category for each imported category" button - but no such luck.

I was determined not to give up as I could see the potential of Accountz but after an hour of tedious drag-and-dropping with just a couple of pages worth completed I looked at the Microsoft web site to see whether they offered any better export tools as I had another 12 files to import.

Which is when I discovered that Microsoft have made their final version of Money available free of charge. Even though it won't convert my original (old) Money file it does import the QIF export files (that I had to make anyway for Accountz) without any intervention from me at all. Take note, Accountz!

In summary, I can see that for new users this could be a valuable product, given the self-discipline required to use it regularly. For users with an existing product the import routine is so laborious that it proved a show-stopper for me.

The final nail in the coffin was the availability of a superior, free product from Microsoft that should see me through the next few years.

Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux)
Home Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux) by Accountz.com Ltd (Linux, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger / 10.6 Snow Leopard / 10.7 Lion, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock