5.0 out of 5 stars Blew my mind...
After Reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", I must admit that I was concerned that I would not be able to top that. Fortunately, Ubik surpassed all my expectations. Other reviewers here have detailed the plot, which I think is unfair, since Ubik is a constant page-turner and fascinator. So I will not give anything away.
Fortunately, Minority Report touches...
Published on 13 Aug 2002 by Mr. A. B. Nathan

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical of this author but not one of his best
Ubik is a curate's egg of a novel: it encapsulates Philip K. Dick's strengths and weaknesses as a writer. On the plus side, it bursts with ideas and pushes the boundaries of the late-60s science fiction genre - one can see how many of Dick's preoccupations have influenced later writers and film-makers - and creates from the start the characteristic Dickian atmosphere of...
Published on 12 July 2010 by Paul Bowes

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking fast pace, startling ideas, 6 April 2011
Fabulous novel. You can see why Dick is the greatest SF writer ever. Amazing characters, startling ideas - I read it right through from beginning to end. There are similar themes in the novel 'while the gods sleep', which other readers have commented on if you want a similar good read. I'd recommend this to anyone without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 30 Jan 2011
Christian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Exploring ideas involving the mind and soul, Philip here has created a book that is easy to read and yet engaging and troubling. Unlike some of the other highly regarded books (High Castle, Android) this book is written in a really open way and the twists develop without losing you.

Exploring a world where humanity has essentially evolved, this book explores counter evolutionary measures as well as the mind and the soul after death. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a life-enriching experience....not just a book, 6 May 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Ubik (Paperback)
Philip K Dick has weaved an intellectually stimulating piece of fiction that is multi-layered and deeply intriguing. Sci Fi is just the vehicle for a classic piece of literature that grabs you and doesn't let go...ever....Why only 2 reviews??? Buy it!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but not his best, 15 Nov 2010
While i enjoyed this novel i have to say i much prefered Philip K. Dicks other novels, A scanner Darkley and The Man In The High Castle. It starts off pretty promising and has some great themes and ideas. I just feel he could have developed these concepts further. I also found it a little in-discriptive in places. That said it's not a bad all round novel and well worth a read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 July 2012
Pete (Ipswich United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Considering both the lack of one star reviews here on Amazon and the frequency with which this appears in Top 50 Science Fiction book recommendations (or similar) I must admit I was expecting this to be one of the best books I have read in a long time, being such a keen fan of the genre.

But it wasn't. Let me start with the technology aspect. Any book written so long ago and set in the future is always going to be a gamble when read today. Some authors, such as Isaac Asmiov, deal with future technology as a small part of sweeping ideas and although the terms used seem dated, the plot carries it through. Ubik unfortunately does like to make technology a key part in some scenes and suffers for it. For example on a spaceship on the way back from the moon, one of the characters wants to telephone someone. Summoning the ship's telephone book (for those who already put these redundant wastes of paper straight into the recycle bin, they are comprehensive printed lists of people's landline numbers). This book has a keyboard on it for number entry - you don't speak to it - and then "quick scans" the whole book in seconds - that is to say it physically scans the pages, it is not a computer - before returning a punched card with the number, which is then fed into the telephone. You can overlook this silly and dated idea of the future (appreciating that in the late sixties, this would have been seen as visionary) a few times, but when each chapter contains several technology ideas that just don't work it becomes tedious.

Add to this an almost total lack of emotion and involvement from the characters. If I'd been apparently blown up by a bomb and the whole fabric of reality was changing I'd be pretty concerned by it. The dialogue in Ubik however is so devoid of any meaningful sign of worry from the main characters I was left wondering if ALL of this book was intended as dead-pan black comedy and it was me who was missing the plot. I could not engage with a single character from this book.

And speaking of the plot, this has to be one of the most disjointed stories I have read in a long time. In terms of quality I would rate the plot alongside that of a typical episode of Midsummer Murders from TV. In other words, some crime is committed for reasons to which the bulk of the story is inconsequential, leaving you wondering what the point of half of the characters was. And surely I can't be the only one who finds Dick's tendency to describe most new characters with long winded descriptions of every item of clothing they are wearing very tedious.

Maybe as I have said it was not the book at fault but my inability to tune into the style. Maybe having just finished an Iain M Banks book with deep characters and believable technology, Ubik seemed dated and shallow in comparison. I have to look at the weight of ratings (mine being the first one star) as evidence I just "didn't get it". But whatever the reason, I would neither read this again nor recommend it. And I won't be trying any more of Dick's works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Ubik (GOLLANCZ S.F.) (Kindle Edition)
ok

3.0 out of 5 stars Ubik (S.F. Masterworks), 13 Dec 2012
I bought this book for a Christmas present so I don't know if the person I bought it for will enjoy this particular book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any Philip K Dick fan, 9 Jun 2000
One of Philip K Dick's must read books. As usual, plays with an idea to the extreme.

2.0 out of 5 stars Chaos, 14 Oct 2013
I am not sure how this title made it onto the list of "masterworks". It is simply not very well thought out. The attempted twist at the end is a total flop in my opinion and it appears to be a last ditch attempt to obscure the storyline to the point where no one is able to tell whether there is, in fact, any coherence to what has been happening in the book or not. There are better books out there. Do not read.

Ubik (GOLLANCZ S.F.)