Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 24 January 2011
I came across an article about Washed Out in Uncut magazine, so I went on YouTube and did a search for some of his music. I came across the fourth track on this EP, 'Feel It All Around', and on the strength of that I ordered this EP. 'Feel It All Around' and the EP's opening track, 'Get Up', are definitely the standouts. But I have to say I enjoyed all of this.

I should outline my musical tastes and explain what it was that I enjoyed about this EP. I listen to a lot of electronic music, and have a particular fondness for ambient music, such as Aphex Twin's two Selected Ambient Works albums, The Orb, Future Sound of London, Brian Eno and Tangerine Dream. I also have a strong liking for atmospheric electronic music, such as Boards of Canada, and rock music of a similar persuasion (of which My Bloody Valentine's Loveless would be the standout example). "Life of Leisure" is not ambient music, as the music has a beat propulsion and general momentum that is not found in ambient - it's too quick for that. So I would definitely categorise this as electronic dance music. But, having said that, it is very atmospheric and ethereal. And it's very laidback and relaxing, and sounds like the musical version of someone's dream state. It's very much lo fi, with the vocals pushed back into the mix, and there's more than a nod to 1980s synth pop.

So if that doesn't sound like your sort of thing, stay away. But if that does sounds interesting to you, I certainly recommend this. I found this EP a beautiful 17 minute listening experience. And I'll certainly be buying Washed Out's debut LP when it gets released sometime in 2011.
on 27 July 2013
This is all right, there's nothing particularly new or inventive about it. It's fairly easy listening, nicely produced and very ethereal/paddy… Is that making up for a lack of depth? Worth making your own mind up, certainly for the price…
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2015
This EP contains the fab theme tune from Portlandia, and provides a sunny, trippy soundtrack to whatever you're doing.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse