5.0 out of 5 stars A big improvement...
Published on 19 July 2010 by Tim

2.0 out of 5 stars Be Wary
Published on 20 Jun 2010 by Geoff Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars A big improvement..., 19 July 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (2 PCs, 1 User) (DVD-ROM)
I have been using Office 97 and Office 2003 for a number of years and had heard of, and seen, the new ribbon interface in 2007. I installed the Beta version of Office 2010 some 6 months ago. Once I got used to the new ribbon, I found Office 2010 to be simple to use and I did not hesitate to upgrade to the full paid-for version when it was published in June. I have no regrets. Installation was very smooth - I took the precaution of totally uninstalling the beta version beforehand. The full version has ironed out one or two little niggles from the beta version and seems to run extremely well. I use Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint on a daily basis - and have also found the new Onenote to be a very useful tool when researching information.

Have come straight from the menu interfaces in Off 97 and 2003, I found the ribbons a little strange at first; however, once used to them and getting to find my way around them, I have found them to be very useful and - in the main - intuitive.

Heartily recommended - a BIG improvement over Office 97 and 2003.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be Wary, 20 Jun 2010
Be very wary if you are using this as an upgrade to 2007. I have 2007 Pro and wanted to upgrade my Word, Excel , Powerpoint and Outlook- it took multiple Custom installs to get the combination I wanted, (the standard instal deletes any 2007 programmes not in the new package you are using- in my case access and Publisher) BUT my email has never worked since, without a restore back to 2007. At least 3 times there were errors during the instal itself but it eventually worked using the 'keep all previous versions' option. The issue with Outlook may be with my ISP settings (BT) but with exactly the same settings as 2007 it fails to work. I quite like a few of the 2010 improvements - the document section view in Word, the text parts and the video in Powerpoint but you can achieve many of these in 2007 with workarounds. The fact that no upgrade versions are offered means I fear that the whole upgrade process has been poorly thought out. I have a VERY clean system so be very sure 2010 offers you beneifits before upgrading.

Incidently, this can be used on up to 3 computer - not the 1 as stated in the advert.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than i expected, 31 July 2010
I initially resisted the upgrade from office 2003 to 2007 because i really hated the ribbon interface and i did not want to spend valuable time learning what I considered to be an awkward, counter-intuitive, even dumbed-down interface, and to be forced into making additional mouse clicks for functions whose location I already knew instinctively following 15 years of Office use.

However, I recently needed to replace my old laptop with a Windows 7 one. I tried to install my old copy of Office 2003 on it. Unfortunately MS made sure it did not work 100%, in particular Outlook with Connector would not access hotmail and live email accounts. MS always seem to do this, they eventually frustrate the user and force them to spend money on an upgrade. I had no option but to upgrade because my email refused to work properly despite my best technical efforts.

The price of Office 2010 at the time of purchase was discounted quite significantly, so that helped the decision to buy. You can install it on 2 computers, not 3 as someone else mentioned. But this can only effectively be 1 desktop and 1 on a laptop. I did not fully read the license but my guess is that you cannot actually run both concurrently, but that's not a problem for me.

When Office 2010 arrived i feared the worst in terms of function confusion and the horrible ribbon interface, but i was really very surprised at seeing a much more logical and improved ribbon. Sure, it took a few days to get used to it after office 2003, but eventually you realise that it is quite logical and I found some functions readily accessible that were previously buried away. Unfortunately though some other readily accessible features are located an extra one or two mouse clicks away.

The best improvement for me is in Outlook 2010 with the improved task management and calendars. On the downside IMAP connections to gmail are strangely much slower, in fact painfully slow, compared to 2003. This is especially strange since the free Windows Live Mail simply flies through each email in Gmail IMAP. Similarly with Connector and live hotmail. I also like the ability to preview the content of email attachements within the window of the message, very useful.

I could write a whole detailed review but simply do not have the time now, but I thought that i would share my personal general impressions with anyone interested in hearing how an experienced IT user who was highly sceptical but then became pleasantly surprised by this quite decent upgrade. Well done MS...finally. It would get 5 stars had I not been forced to upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Office 2010 is a big step forward, 20 Sep 2010
I run a small consulting business dealing with multi nationals, and need to be on the leading edge of visual presentation, and analysis. Having been a serious critic of Microsoft, even swapping to a mac at one stage, I'm a convert. This new suite allows me to achieve higher levels of finish than 2007, more easily. The ability to mix graphics into documents, including spreadsheets has been strongly improved, with more common functionality. The micro charts in Excel allow you to create dashboards without using external plug ins.

In general the functionality feels more available, particularly in formatting. Setting out pages in Excel is a bit of a pain to begin with, and printing commands take some getting used to.

One real revalation in this release is Outlook, which now has far broader capabilites in terms of maintaining multiple accounts, and connecting to various sources of mail. The other shift between this and office 2003/7 is the improvement in web based collaboration, which I am exploring with my networked colleagues.

The install was a hassle on Vista SP2 and refused to register. The usual torture contacting Microsoft ensued, and eventually they sorted it with a new product key, but it was a pain.

Other than this, I'm really pleased. Very bug free, this appears more stable than 2007 in advanced use. Lots more power, and much prettier, I reccommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Business, 9 July 2010
Roy Caswell (Bolton, UK) - See all my reviews
.Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Business, 1 User (PC DVD)
I have moved straight form Office 2000 to 2010 without going through the intervening releases. I find this product sits very well on the new Windows 7 platform. I am still getting used to the new ribbon format which seems very neat. When I am fully conversant with it, I am sure it will make editing and manipulating files much easier. I have found the new shortcuts to my previously used work very useful in saving time and effort locating and loading those files. I am looking forward to extending my knowledge of its features and have not encountered any problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Office 2010, 9 Nov 2010
For the first time, Microsoft made a product that created an upgrade from Office 2003 to 2010 that retained all the personalised bits. No time was lost re-creating autofill etc, it was retained.

Only downside, many useful features are hidden, Microsoft would say renamed, but all in all a good product

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what it claimed to be on the packaging, 8 Feb 2011
This was a genuine Microsoft product. The packaging was just as it was claimed to be in the offer for sale, but it turned out to be something different when it was loaded onto the computer. Instead of Office 2010 Home and business it turned out to be a trial version of Office 2010 Professional. The activation code allowed all products to be fully used for 30 days. After 30 days Publisher and Access remained on the hard drive as just a useless waste of space with no functionality and the other software was fully activated. When I approached MS by email to find out what I had to do to get my disc space back again I was told that they would not provide support for trial products and I was told to look on the MS website for instructions. This was despite the packaging clearly stating that technical support was provided for 90 days. I have lodged a formal complaint with Microsoft because the product was not fit for purpose and it did not do what it said it should do!!

This was part of a complete rebuild of my computer together with Windows 7. I have now resolved this issue with office 2010 because I needed to make a second rebuild to overcome some problems with drivers not working properly, and on the second rebuild I was able to avoid loading Access and Publisher altogether. I am pleased with the Office 2010 now that it is doing what I bought it for - I just object to the amount of my time that was wasted getting it to work properly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, 6 Aug 2010
L. Alexander (London) - See all my reviews
It is always a leap into the dark to buy a new MicroSoft product. Generally I wait at least 5 years so that they can sort out the bugs first. However, I have to say that I am very impressed with this package. Once you get used to the new layout and menus, they are actually very well organised and make more sense than the applications in Office 2003. There are also some much improved tools to use. It integrates very well with Windows 7 (and so it should!) Overall, I am very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Office's New Suite, 6 Nov 2010
Yes it is expensive
Yes it does exactly what it says on the box
Yes it is well worth it for business/heavy users otherwise consider the freeware

4.0 out of 5 stars A smooth progression from 2007, 18 Jun 2010
Microsoft have built on the streamlining done to the 2007 edition. Program interfaces have become more intuitive and aesthetically pleasing. A word of advice for 64 bit users: Don't wait for the setup to offer a 64bit install. Close the setup applet and navigate directly to the 64bit folder on the disk and run the setup program from there.

My first impression is that Outlook 2010 runs faster and more reliably, but I am using the 64bit version.

Pleased so far!

Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (2 PCs, 1 User)
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (2 PCs, 1 User) by Microsoft Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)