5.0 out of 5 stars Save money and be healthy - buy it!
Delivery was quick and packaging fine.

A bobble bottle comes in three parts - the bottle, the filter and the cap. The latter two bits need replacing every 3-4 months at a cost of around £5 (still a massive saving over buying bottles of water but worth knowing about.

Published on 25 Sept. 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea
This is a really good idea, and it enables me to drink the dodgy tap water at work, but I have a problem with the flow of the water, and having to squeeze the bottle a little too hard for my liking. Good, but I need it to come out a bit faster.
Published on 29 April 2012 by Shoe lover

5.0 out of 5 stars Save money and be healthy - buy it!, 25 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Bobble BPA-Free 550 ml Water Bottle, Green (Kitchen & Home)
Delivery was quick and packaging fine.

I bought my bobble as I commute on the tube a lot and I always like to travel with bottle of water. I used to buy bottled water and then refill them a few times before chucking them out (you shouldn't refill ordinary plastic bottles too often as they degrade over time and leak nasty chemicals into your water - although to be honest its not a major problem as most people I know chuck them after a few refills in any event). A bobble bottle is made of different plastic that doesn't have the same chemical compounds so can be refilled as often as you wish.

So, what's the bobble like to use? First off the shape is distinctive, personally I love the shape and feel of it. When you first get it, you have to soak the filter and give the bottle a rinse - easy to do and a 3 minute job. Assembly is as easy as you would expect (insert filter and.. done!).

Drinking from the bobble take a bit of practice, you sort of part squeeze and part suck. When I started (and this is the same for many of my friends) it wasn't that great to be honest - and it nearly ended up languishing on a shelf. However as the plastic bobble bottle softens slightly with use and you master the technique then it becomes easy and instinctive. I am in danger here of making it sound difficult, and it isn't, its just drinking water after all lol; but don't rely on it for your gym visit until after you have mastered guzzling rather than sipping! :)

The filter works well, removing any unpleasant taste from the water (useful if you live in an area where it is very chalky or hard). You are recommended to clean it every now and then (which means soaking it in some boiling water); likewise clean out the bobble bottle (soapy water) and the lid. I find the latter tends to discolour but you get new ones with the replacement filters.

Problems - well if you don't push the teat bit back down when you finish drinking then you are effectively leaving it open and it will of course then leak - I guess that's a stupidity/drunk test and a mistake that I have only made once. Very occasionally, especially with a new filter, the teat part of the filter can be tricky to pull up in to the open/drink position - but its not an issue, if it happens then just untwist the filter slightly to release the pressure and then pull it up into the open position.

If the filter starts smelling a bit rubbery (rather like a wet-suit) then you definitely know its time for a new filter! Mine last around 4 months with daily use.

Bottle sizes: I first bought the smaller one and would strongly recommend against it. With a bobble bottle you will find you are drinking more water than normal (which is good) but as a result you will end up wondering why you bothered buying such a tiny bottle. This is the best size for normal every day use/travel and I have a bigger one on my desk at work (they all use the same size filters).

So to round up, if you buy a lot of bottled water stop, buy one of these - they are greener, and much much cheaper over time. If you want to drink more water or like to have a travel bottle for commuting etc then - yup buy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh water, 30 May 2011
Bz (Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was given one of these as a present, today. Simple, well packaged with clear instructions on the pack warning about charcoal dust needing to be rinsed/squirted from the unit initially. As I have an under-the-sink unit with a carbon filter ( and a similar warning ), it was no surprise to have this warning.

Clear water isn't usually a problem in this area but there have been odd occasions when the stench of TCP has been a problem for a short period. Will this solve such a problem ? Only time will tell. I guess.

Having said that, the first bottle/bobble full, filled from the main pipe not the filter tap, has been impressive.

Update : 24 hours and 3x fillings later - in a word 'stunning'. It's like drinking liquid silk. Sorry if that sounds corny but I'm very impressed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, 29 April 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of money..., 9 Feb. 2014
The Little Bookworm "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I always buy cheap water bottles to use at work - I work in a school so always on the go and trying to encourage myself to drink more. I usually spend £2 on a big bottle from sports direct and then throw it away at the end of the year. My other half bought me this though so I felt I had to try it. It all seemed a bit pointless to me though as I always drink bottled water at work (mains water not great!)

The bottle leaks. The first time I used it, during a meeting, it went all down my white t shirt. Not a good look at all! It also makes quite an embarrassing noise when it sucks all the air back in. As other reviewers have pointed out, it's also quite difficult to drink from especially the last quarter of the bottle.

My main issue, though is the taste once you have left it over the weekend. I rinsed mine, with hot water, on the Friday and left it to dry over the weekend. When I went to use it on Monday morning the taste was the same as vinegar. Absolutely vile. I'm guessing this is due to the water left in the filter which you can't do anything about.

This bottle is absolutely not for me. I think it's a little unhygienic (dread to think about the germs in the filter) and not practical. I've stopped using it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Carbon filter noise and the difficulty of drinking when have to squeeze the bottle., 10 April 2015
Initially I thought this was a fantastic idea ( by design it looks that way ). However, once you have it for a few days you realise that it does have its cons. One of these cons is ( some =one has previously mentioned) the fact that you have to squeeze the bobble relatively hard to get water out of it whereas with a standard bottle of water this would not be the case it flows straight into your mouth depending on what angle it is held at . Thus when you wake up at night and you would like a little bit of water the last thing you want todo is squeeze a a plastic bobble to get a drop of water.

Secondly, I am now sitting in the silent section of the library.. My bobble has now developed this really annoying sound through it carbon filter when i am done drinking it as thought it is gasping for air. It never use todo this and I have only had it for 3-4days - will cleaning it sort this out ? Do i have to clean it that often ?

Also I have more recently noticed that the bib to the filter is becoming increasingly difficult to open. Is this the case with anyone else's ?

3/5 is a fair assessment for this product as it does have its pro's but i am wondering whether in a few more days these will be outweighed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drinking more water, 14 Jan. 2014
Both my husband and I have this bottle (he has the black one, I have the red) and for us it has really helped to increase our daily water intake, which was one of our new years resolutions.

The great thing about it is the built in filter in the lid so if you have to top it up from a water fountain, you don't need to worry about any nasties in the water.

The only negative is if you don't pull the lid off all the way before drinking, it ends up dribbling out of it and all down your top.

We will be using this when we fly (filling up after security) because we always get really thirsty and dry out on flights.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a gimmicky bottle as expected., 11 Jan. 2015
Perfectly fine as a bottle, kind of annoying to drink from as you have to suck and squeeze at the same time ( ;] ), also makes an annoying wheezing noise after every drink, and the plastic of the filter stinks even after washing it.

Wouldn't recommend, but also wouldn't advise against.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bobble, 5 Aug. 2011
Looks good - I'm always getting compliments on the bottle. Water tastes great and I'm saving money and all those plastic bottles I would normally buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., 4 Feb. 2014
The idea is superb - buy this bottle and keep refilling it, rather than buying bottled water or suffering the taste of tap water. As a money saver (my main motivation in this purchase) it delivers, very well indeed.

The filtering is very effective, odd tastes are removed, tap water tastes like filtered water. Job done there.

The downside and why it gets three-stars, is it isn't easy to drink from. The mouth spout is fine, a nice size and easy to open and close, but you really have to squeeze it hard to get water out of it and when you do, you don't get a lot of it. Perhaps a good thing in an odd way as it encourages you do drink little and often, but the flow rate through the filter is very low and it feels like too much effort. I appreciate how 'too much effort' sounds, pretty weak, but you have to experience it to know... your average bottle of water from a shop shelf doesn't take half as much effort to drink from in any reasonable quantity.

Overall I am pleased with my purchase and it does what it does well enough, but I'm sure some people will find it frustrating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bobble 550, 9 Dec. 2012
I got this to take to work as I always end up buying a plastic water bottle and re-using it... until water tastes of plastic, yuk! So the whole philosophy behind it is surely a plus. Yet, why does it have to be so difficult to actually suck the water out of the bobble? If the mechanism is the same of usual water bottles, why don't I find myself in pain for the strain??? You get so little water out of the bobble at a time that it is actually good for my 1 yr old...

Bobble BPA-Free 550 ml Water Bottle, Green