God of War Collection (PS3)
Price:£20.41+Free shipping

on 24 June 2011
Back in the days of PS2 I was such a GoW fan. I played the first game when I was 13 and I was so thrilled with the gore and the action the game had to offer. Not to mention some clever puzzles. The second game was better from the first one as expected.

I recently finished the 3rd game on the PS3 and I wanted to play the first two again and I was looking for my PS2 again. I had no idea that God of War collection existed, I found out about the GoW collection from Amazon when I was looking for games. When I saw it I ordered and I was so happy when it arrived. It arrived in 4 days and I clicked standar delivery. Not to mention the free shipping which was great.

I'm currently playing god of war 2 and I'm having a blast. Everything is perfect. 5/5 stars.
on 14 May 2010
Ok so I wanted to play the third God Of War and thought I really should start from the beginning of the story before jumping in head first on the apparently final installment and I'm glad I did.

The gameplay on these two titles is excellent, the puzzles are a lot of fun to try to figure out, the story is great, I loved learning about Kratos and his journey.
Very clever in execution.

The graphics are very good, they're obviously not as good as the current best PS3 releases (GODW3 comes to mind, although that is a benchmark title IMO the best looking PS3 game there is), but I don't think you'd confuse the gameplay parts with a PS2 release.
As has been mentioned by other reviewers some of the cut scenes have not been touched so they do look pretty bad by camparison, but they are few and far between compared to how much gameplay and pre-rendered stuff there is.

Sound effects are also great, very atmospheric and great for setting a great mood.

Now there is one area that did disappoint and that's longevity, it took me about a week to complete both games, playing solidly for about a couple of hours a night on spartan.
There is replay, but I feel that scea could have written a story and designed the same kind if ingenious levels that would take longer to get through.
After all games such as the Grand Theft Auto titles take a fair bit longer to complete, but still give the same level of quality.
Pacing is good and never leaves you feeling like it's artificially stretched, but I would have liked more.

Overall the story is great, gameplay excellent, quite short, but for two great games I will likely play through a few times more at such a bargain price I think The God Of War Collection is an excellent title that any fan of action titles would be silly to miss out on.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 September 2014
This is a very decent hack n slash game, I must admit I never played this back on the PS2 so I am glad PS3 decided to release not just the first one but the second game as well which I would have to say is better than the first game. I will keep this short, if you enjoy strategic fighting games and you don't mind fighting epic boss stages then buy this game now.

Excellent game but in my opinion, Devil May Cry is still the best hack n slash game out there.
on 27 May 2010
What a great idea to re-release the first 2 GOW!!!
I never had the chance to play them on PS2, so this was my time to catch up.
I played the psp version which was epic, but now I know why he is who he is :)
Completed the 1st one, and just started the 2nd... the party goes on!

Only small comment is that the commands are different between the 1 & 2, so you use R2 for opening things, then it's R1 on GOW2... it keeps catching me up hehehe

Great game, buy it
on 30 April 2010
I remember playing the original god of war games on the ps2 a few years ago, they were excellent 2 of the best I had ever played on that console without a doubt, now though I can't really bring myself to play the ps2 because I have got used to the latest ps3, xbox and pc graphics, and going back to ps2, it just seems so bad by comparison, so this pack is a god send, it has both God of War and God of War 2 remastered up to 720p, so there are a lot of graphical improvements, although I have noticed that GOW2 is better done than the original, I would go as far as to say it looks better than a lot of the first ps3 games that were released, so for not even £20 its a major bargain. I am writing this review from the point of view that if you have already played the ps2 games, so basically know what to expect. The story remains totally unchanged and is excellent combining Greek mythology with ultimate brutality, with nearly perfect game-play, controls, pacing the games are able to immerse you into the game making it so much more enjoyable.
The only niggle that I have is that the cut-scenes look untouched by the remastering process, so look the same as they did on the ps2, but it is the smallest of complaints in the grand scheme of this game.
Definitely if you own a ps3 you should purchase this game as its absolutely brilliant in all lights.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 September 2010
The original ps2 games utilized a lot of the hardware available and was packed with fantastic detail and was extremely fun and challenging to play.

It's better to watch video trailers than to read whats its about. Even so, I'd highly recommend these to any gamer who has yet to experience one of the greatest ps2 classics made - and now on the ps3.
on 6 July 2010
I ordered this game june the 1. i said i would get it on june the 17. that was okay :) since i live in denmark, but i got i already june the 4. so no complains about that.

for the game it self, it is a realy nice game, played it for many hours, awesome story behind it, and many dificulties to try it on. so buy it! :D

p.s sry for bad english
on 1 March 2013
When god of war was first released it delivered one of the most entertaining video games I had ever played, then god of war 2 was released and it once again blew my mind, in high defenition it makes the adventure that much more memorable, highly recommended if your interested in playing the game or if your a long time fan
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
At last, an occasion where I can use the word `epic' and without hypocrisy, because make no mistake, God of War is a giant-bashing, rope-swinging, mountain-scaling epic, and more besides.

Unwisely, I ignored recommendations to play this in the five years since it has been released, but I couldn't resist a remastered two-game disc at a bargain price, and I must admit, it's refreshing to play a game so unapologetically macho. From the opening scene, Ghost of Sparta Kratos plunders his way through an astoundingly violent adventure, smashing faces into walls, headbutting Minotaurs (yes, plural), decapitating Gorgons and interacting with all manners of topless women. No anti-hero he: witness as he carves his way through both his enemy's monstrous forces and the citizens of the city he's tasked with saving. Gasp as I did as not minutes into the game you're faced with your first boss, a massive head of Hydra in the middle of a raging storm at sea. Revel in the opportunity to tear pesky villains apart, to smash frozen enemies to pieces, and to fight against a god.

That sounds vaguely like a back-of-box blurb, but no such blurb could do this game justice. God of War is a relentlessly entertaining game that successfully combines action and platforming, and just before the mix can get stale, some fiendishly difficult puzzles to boot. The combat system is flawless -just see how little changes between the two instalments- and the range of weapons plentiful without overburdening the player with choice. Graphically, at full frame in HD on PS3 there is nothing to complain about. It's little match for today's standards of course, but considering other titles from 2005 it could have looked so much worse. Gameplay and the fully rendered FMVs look outstanding, though oddly the in-game cut scenes look absolutely horrendous. No matter, such scenes are a minority. The sequel suffers no drawbacks- games on Wii wish they could look as good. The visuals are a refreshing blend of unfamiliar locations and pleasingly horrific monsters. Camerawork is suitably sweeping and grand, and the horn-heavy score is an absolute joy. I hesitate to say it's a cinematic experience, because experiences like this are best enjoyed at great length on a home console.

Its sequel tackles the climax of the first in an ingenious manner, so that Kratos' loss of power and weaponry (to make the beginning of the game a challenge, naturally) is logically and soundly justified, and you're back on your vengeful path, taking on enemies from the first game and many new additions including, crucially, skeletons with swords! It's telling of God of War's quality that so few changes have been made for the sequel. It would be a waste to call it refined, because you cannot refine perfection- but you can add to it. While combat and core gameplay remain unchanged (save for the curious swapping of L1 and L2's functions), new elements are peppered throughout which bring the series closer to the other which I can compare this most closely to: The Legend of Zelda. That series' perfect blend of most all forms of action gameplay is surpassed in God of War II, which combines the challenge and look of its most recent entry (Twilight Princess) with the most satisfying violence imaginable. `Satisfying violence' is usually a worrying phrase, but fret not - that there is no greater joy than ripping the head straight off of a particularly nasty beast at the climax of combat is no indication of sociopathy, but an affirmation that all is right with our instincts. Otherwise, in the event of an actual Gorgon attack, we'd be too busy arguing about knife crime to defend ourselves.

In terms of longevity, impact and quality, God of War is arguably the best debut game ever made. Better than Metal Gear Solid, better than Resident Evil, better than Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, better than f**king Donkey Kong. God of War II at times feels like a debut game too, such is the improvement in approach to location, mythology and new modes of gameplay. Yes, it outperforms its progenitor, and yes, it gives Sons Of Liberty a run for best title on PS2, and just about everything else for best title of the decade. God of War Collection is a must have title for any PS3 collection, and something you'll regret playing for about a week because everything else just seems so very boring by comparion.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 March 2014
Featuring the legendary Kratos as the main character - this hack and slash adventure trilogy is awesome. You are not likely to meet many massive boss fights and scenery than in these games. Highly entertaining with puzzles to solve as well. Highly recommend. 2 Great games on one disc - and fast delivery