5.0 out of 5 stars Collection of Carr's one liners - if you enjoy him much recommended
If Jimmy Carr is your cup of tea, the DVD is unlikely to disappoint - it features a show from his recent tour (recorded in Glasgow), together with some earlier appearances in Montreal (2003, 2006, 2007) and the after show signing session in Glasgow as extras. The extras are similar in style and are a good complement to the main show.

It mostly consists of one...
Published on 22 Feb 2011 by AK

3.0 out of 5 stars Making People Laugh - a reasonable amount
This DVD contains some excellent material, and some merely average as you would expect from a long set. Most people's tastes will be catered for here and as long as language doesn't offend then you should enjoy this. Also look at the extras from some early live sets in Canada where you can see some of the very best of Jimmy.
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by Antaxios

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny as past DVD's, 28 Nov 2010
M. Holloway "Ian" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD has some very funny parts, but personally I don't think it matches the comedy genius of his other DVD's. It appears to me that Jimmy has changed his comedy style slightly and I don't think it's nearly as good as his past DVD's. I went to see his show rapier wit earlier this year and it was so much funnier than the DVD.

Buy his previous DVD's they will have you in hysterics but not this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy Carr made me laugh!, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this as a birthday present for my husband but we couldn't resist and had to have a crafty peek. We are both massive Jimmy Carr fans.

Jimmy has chosen to do his DVD gig in Glasgow: I was chuffed with this as Glasgow is my spiritual home and, as Glaswegians are reknowned for being a tough audience, you are guaranteed some lively crowd participation. In fact, you get to see a lot of Jimmy doing what he does best: responding to heckles.

The format of the show is somewhat different, insofar as it is filmed in two parts as you would expect in a live show. There is a break for intermission but the DVD does not pause for any great length of time.

For those unfamilar with Jimmy's live acts (i.e. if you only seen him on 8/10 cats etc), his gags work on the premise of joke-punchline-second punchline or possibly a third. Jimmy does not 'spare the horses' with his humour and there are no subjects off limits: paedophilia and jokes of a sexual nature feature heavily. So, if you are easy to offend then perhaps you should give it a miss. Carr himself says that his audience tend to have no 'moral compass': enough said!

I enjoyed the performance immensely and I would reccommend this DVD if you fancy a chuckle. I was, however, disappointed with some of the cheap gags that seem to be geared towards easy laughs. In the same way that some comedians tend to swear more, for cheap laughs, Jimmy has tended to rest on his laurels and crank up the smut factor. This is a minor criticism as anyone who is a fan of Jimmy Carr is prepared for anything.

I prefer some of Jimmy's earlier stuff but this is a personal preference. Fans will not be disappointed with this DVD. There are the usual bonus features that include excerpts that didn't make it onto the DVD (funny!) as well as a clip of Jimmy engaging with fans, post-show and basically mocking them mercilessly (it would be rude not to!).

Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing but not LOL, 21 Nov 2010
Amazon Customer (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] (DVD)
As a big fan of Jimmy I was disapointed to describe this show as amusing. I have all his previous DVD's and found them hilarious but I'm sorry to say that I found this tour DVD to be just amusing rather than side achingly funny.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sick, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] (DVD)
This man isn't funny at all, he's sick in the head. He makes jokes about child abuse!!! Disgusting revolting man.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment..., 5 Feb 2011
This review is from: Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] (DVD)
Having been a fan of Jimmy Carr for many years, I waited for this DVD with baited breath. How disappointed I was...

Naming the DVD "Making People Laugh" seems a cruel irony, as it didn't even provoke a single belly-laugh from my side of the TV. Sure, there were a few chuckles and smirks along the way, but nothing that would make me recommend this to a friend.
I'm unhappy to be typing this because, as I stated before, I am a big Jimmy Carr fan and I am not easily offended (I think Frankie Boyle is great). I was actually looking forward to it finishing, which is never a good sign, regardless of what you're watching. The best bit is the Meet & Greet in the extras section, as it is ad-libbed and the audience are up close and personal. That is the only positive I can take away from this DVD. It seems that since Jimmy has been on his diet he's become less funny, the exact opposite of what happened to Bernard Manning...

In my opinion, put your money away and watch it on a popular video-streaming website. If you still want to buy it, get it from Amazon.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad but not great, 11 Feb 2011
This review is from: Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] (DVD)
I love Jimmy Carr. I'm not a fan of his one-liners - although they're not bad - but his general sense of humour, delivery and quick-wittedness makes him a winner.
Which is why i was a bit disappointed with this DVD. A lot of the material feels like a rehash of his two earlier DVDs, Comedian and In Concert. If you watch these, and have watched their respective extra features, there will be several points in 'Making People Laugh' that will feel tired.
Having said that, it's not bad and it was pretty cheap. I just hope he has fresher stuff for the next one.
COH

4.0 out of 5 stars not as funny as previous years, 12 Nov 2010
This review is from: Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] (DVD)
last years DVD was the best Stand up out there, but this years didnt hit quite the same heights

its still better than 75% of the DVD's released this xmas though

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Nov 2011
M. Wood - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] (DVD)
I used to like Jimmy Carr and have really enjoyed the previous DVDs I've seen so I was looking forward to watching this. He was clever and witty, just the kind of humour I like.

This was different though, he seems to have become less intelligent and more controversial for shock value... he seems to be testing his audience, knowing that he is pushing boundaries with a large number of jokes about paedophilia and rape. A LOT of jokes about rape, and domestic abuse too. He made quite a big thing of this, in this show recorded live in Glasgow, making a joke of the abuse linked with football matches between Rangers and Celtic, and how violence against women rises during these times. Encouraging the laughter in the way he did just seems to normalise and trivialise this aggression, and that makes me feel despair, sick, disappointed. He COULD use his wit to poke fun at the abusers, to show them in the light that they should be seen in, not to minimise and gloss over the abuse as he does here. He could shift his humour on to the abusers, but he doesn't. His humour seems to side with them rather than being outraged by them, what a lost opportunity. Outrage at extreme violence, sexual or otherwise, could fuel humour against this kind of behaviour, but he doesn't make that choice.

He seems to think that he can get away with these things by speaking with a posh voice and having a clean cut image. This is the sort of low-brow crudeness I'd expect from someone like Frankie Boyle, I feel more bludgeoned than amused, as he seems to be deliberately provoking to see just how far he can push, to get a reaction. If I'd paid 22.50 for my ticket to this gig, I'd want my money back, if he wants to use an audience to experiment on in this way, he should pay them. This is not like his other work (not the work I've seen anyway, as I say I've seen previous gigs and was impressed at his wit, his intelligence and his banter with the audience). He's always been a bit edgy, and that was fine when it was more balanced out with the clever stuff. He's dumbed down somewhat.

This is a disappointing development in Jimmy Carr's career and he's lost a fan through it. Such a shame :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh, 22 Dec 2010
This review is from: Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] (DVD)
The DVD came promptly and in good condition. It was a few pounds cheaper on Amazon than it was in the shops.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Bad Bad Bad Baaaaaad, 16 April 2011
Mr. N. M. Hornby "nhornby" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this when it came out but never got round to writing a review so here goes. Jimmy Carr was a favourite comedian of mine until i saw this...... I've followed his career since 2003 and bought all his stand up dvd's up to this one. I was dubious about watching this as his last one was over the 90minute mark and wasn't overly witty compared to his older ones but i still gave it a try.

After watching this i felt extrememly disapointed with the quality of the show jimmy had done, it was overlong(nearly 2 hours) and he seemed like he didnt put any effort in to be witty he just swore a lot to get laughs which is amatuerish. All his material is either paedo jokes or just vulgarity he's done this to appeal to a wider audience(mainly morons who wouldnt get any of his wittier jokes) and in doing this he has sold out, it's annoyed the tits off me that he's done this as i see thick people(who i've went to school with) act like they're Stephen Fry because they've seen one of his dvd's. Anyway rant aside, i'd avoid this dvd like the plague if you're after decent witty comedy and try other people. I highly recommend Shaun Locke, Lee Evans, Ed Byrne and Stuart Francis:)

Ps. i'm not a prude i just like my racist & sex offender jokes in moderation :P

ARRAY(0xa9bdb7d4)

Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD]
Jimmy Carr: Making People Laugh [DVD] by Jimmy Carr (DVD - 2010)
5.69