5.0 out of 5 stars Tough but good
Published 3 months ago by SW

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the average post-natal woman
Published on 4 Jun 2011 by T. Clist

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the average post-natal woman, 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Tracy Anderson Method Presents Post-Pregnancy Workout [DVD] (DVD)
Being a fan of much of Tracy's work I was keen to see her take on post-natal fitness; I am a Pilates teacher and specialise in pregnacy and post-natal Pilates. On the whole I was surprised by what I saw. I would deem much of her abdominal series too difficult for all but the strongest of clients who have been doing Pilates for years, pretty much unachievable for the average post-natal woman and bordering on dangerous for a woman who had a c-section delivery. Abdominals will be far to weak and compromised and the lower back vulnerable to such high-load exercises such as the pike-style leg lifts.
Whilst Tracy is dynamic and encouraging, and correct in saying that you CAN get your body back after giving birth I don't believe this high-impact work is the best or safest way to go about it in the months after having a baby - I have not had a baby and am in the peak of physical fitness and strength yet I struggled to do many of the abdominal exercises, and imagine that, unsupervised many woman trying the DVD would do the exercise wrongly thus only resulting in worsening diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscles) and/or risking an injury.
Frustrating though it may be for a woman who is unused to a saggy tummy, slow and steady is undoubtedly the safest and in the long run most effective way to go. This is perhaps one for the super-fit woman who has been doing a gentler form of exercise for the first 6-8 months after giving birth...

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough but good, 27 Mar 2014
I felt compelled to write a review for this. It is an extremely tough workout, but you can't get results without working hard! She also tells you to do it 4 - 6 times a week, which sounds a lot, but if you want to see results it's what you have to do. I think celebrity mothers can mislead the public by saying that they lost their baby weight by running around after their little ones. Not true!!! They lost it through intensely gruelling workouts up to seven days a week. Whilst it's not advisable to do that and I certainly wouldn't have the time, this DVD is much more manageable. It's about 40 minutes long and most of the focus is on the abs, but your legs and arms get a workout too. I combine it with cardio and try to do it five times a week. I have a toddler, so I can do it when she's gone to bed, but if you have a younger baby, you could do it when they're taking a daytime nap. Tracy gives you easier alternatives for each of the difficult moves, because some of them are really hard. She tells you to make sure you get the 'all clear' from your doctor before you start and it's really important you do. This may be longer if you've had a c-section. If you're nursing, you'll be fine doing this, just make sure you're eating enough calories. I love this DVD and would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the trick!, 16 Dec 2013
Bought it for my wife, who loves it!
Its a hard workout and she couldn't do everything that Tracy was showing, but after a few weeks everything went fine and you can see the difference!!!
Recommend, but you have to work hard and be persistent!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardwork buy great!, 4 Mar 2013
Oh My God .. its hard! but really good. Recommend! You have to keep at it though.. probably not suitable until at least 10 weeks after giving birth though..

2.0 out of 5 stars Ineffective and boring, 7 Oct 2010
I bought this DVD 6 weeks after my daughter was born in order to help start my return to fitness.

The workout has three parts - abs, legs and arms - but the vast majority of it is ab work. I was pretty fit and a bit of a gym bunny before pregnancy but still found the abs section tough the first few times (which was good - I wanted something a bit challenging, since I was desperate to be able to exercise again!), although it got achievable fairly quickly. I sold my copy on though within a month since I think the workout has a number of huge flaws:

1) It's BORING. Lots and lots of repetitions of the same move over and over - 20x one thing, 30x another etc etc. I appreciate that repetitive motion is necessary for training muscles but there must be some way of doing it which isn't quite so dull....

2) It's way too abs heavy - sure, my tummy is my biggest problem area at the moment, but it's called a 'Post-Pregnancy Workout' so should provide much more all-over conditioning.

3) It just didn't work. I did the workout almost every day for a fortnight and didn't really see any change. I'm now just doing crunches (rather than the complicated stuff on the DVD) and getting much better results!

4) There's very limited instruction. She just does the exercises without explaining how - not only could this be dangerous but it's also annoying when you have to get up from lying on the floor to see what you're meant to be doing...

5) The classical music. Yes, she wanted to be a ballet dancer, but it's just a bit affected. Plus the exercises aren't done in time to the music which is really annoying.

All in all I was really disappointed with this workout...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Tracy!, 2 April 2014
Tracy fires up muscles you didn't know existed.
As she describes, the muscles start to wake up, and you can feel them again. This takes a few months, but once they do, it's a wow moment. It suits anyone - kids or no kids.
It isn't easy, however, and at the start, you may get a really stiff neck because your abs are too weak.
If this happens, a day off helps, even if she does recommend 6 days a week. Build up gradually to the full weekly set.
Tracy Anderson is a genius...her method is unique and so much better than the gym.
Combine this with some power walking and clean eating, and you'll notice your shape change.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you are very fit, 3 July 2013
This DVD was too advanced for me I couldn't do half of what she was doing - maybe I was just not fit enough in the first place .

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 27 Mar 2013
never normally write reviews, but this was really a great workout, tough in the beginning, but targets all the right areas

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing DVD but it works you HARD., 8 July 2014
Amazing DVD. I can highly recommend it for anyone who has just had a baby and needs to tone up. This DVD is hard and not like normal celebrity DVDs which are far too easy and more suited to the novice exerciser. Some people say you have to have done Pilates before but I disagree, you just have to build up the workouts she does over time and your body will adapt,

I did this work out 2-3 times a week (she recommends everyday which I think is not realistic with a young baby)

Over the weeks you will build up your muscles again and you will soon be able to follow her workout and do the reps she recommends. People who expect to just turn the DVD on and go straight away will give up or say it's too hard and give negative reviews. You wouldn't expect on your first training run to do a straight 10k so why do people expect this from a DVD. My opinion is if it's worth doing it will take you a few weeks for your body to wake up (as Tracey puts it)

Yes it is very targeted at your stomach but that's exactly the area you need to work but her leg and arm workouts are also excellent. I combined this DVD with walking with the pram and my body is now back to its normal self. Definitely get the OK from your doctor before starting exercising as she does push your tummy muscles.

Another pleasing result is that my husband, who is a regular gym goer, could not do the stomach exercises in this DVD and he has now in 'training' to try and do this DVD with me :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging but effective, 7 July 2014
This is a challenging work out, especially for post pregnancy abs but you can definitely feel it working.

The Tracy Anderson Method Presents Post-Pregnancy Workout [DVD]