4.0 out of 5 stars Rickenbacker copy, 13 Sep 2010
This review is from: Electric-RC Guitar by Gear4music Black
Being a Beatles fan I used to own a 'F' holed semi Rickenbacker 320 of which this is a copy. The original guitar looked very beautiful but played terrible (ie tuning loss, string buzz etc) as I was starting to gig at the time and needed a trusty easily playable axe so reluctantly I part ex'd it for a Fender strat. I always regretted getting rid of the ricky and promised to treat myself to another one day. I recently started looking around but there was nothing second hand and a new model would set me back 3 grand!! then I discovered this copy which I thought I'd try. It took 2 days to arrive and on opening the box I was quite impressed but there were a few faults.
1) One of the control knobs pots was loose which was easily rectified with a small spanner.
2) The finish to the edges of the 'F' hole were unpainted and very rough and jagged which I put right with a little sanding down.
3) The Tuning heads are not of good quality which ideally need replacing.
4) The strings were very bad and had to be replaced.
5) The bridge pickup seems a lot weaker than the neck pickup.

On the plus side overall finish is good and quite appealling and having put right as many of the above faults as I could afford I ended up with quite a good guitar which actually played as good as if not better my old Ricky, although I have to say it did'nt sound quite like my old ricky the tone is a lot warmer but hey what do you expect at this price?

So if you like the looks of a Rickenbacker 320 but can't afford one and are not to worried about original ricky sound go buy one (please change the strings).

4.0 out of 5 stars Rockinbetter, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Electric-RC Guitar by Gear4music Black
Being a John Lennon fan I couldn't resist this one...it's only 100 odd quid & after a few modifications I got it to look very similar indeed (see photo in customer images at the top of this page). His original 1958 325 that he bought in Hamburg (or never paid for if you listen to George Harrison!)was originally a natural wood finish with gold pickguard & gold Rickenbacker truss rod cover. It was a prototype with only 2 ever made ..no f hole, rubbish vibrato and short neck length...he changed the vibrato to one that resisted going out of tune & had it sprayed black (but still with gold trimmings) when they returned to Liverpool but after their first visit to record at Abbey Rd. They hit it big & he played it until the second Ed sullivan show in Miami when Rickenbacker gave him a new one which was essentially a copy except the pickguard was a double skin white one & the Rickenbacker logo on the truss rod cover was also white. He used this as his main guitar until the Epiphone Casino came along.

This gear4music guitar is very similar to this 2nd Rickenbacker. The body dimensions are exact, the neck length is a normal size, there is an f hole, the pickguard is double skin, the headstock is pretty close, there are only 2 pickups. However a spray or two of black gloss paint with every thing masked off to get rid of the gear logo, a coat of matt black paint inside the f hole, a blank truss rod cover from t'internet & an RB decal to go on it with numerous sprays of clear lacquer over it & it looks great!

It plays very well...good intonation throughout the neck & good action...if you want the authentic sound you can mess around with replacing the pickups or just get a modelling amp (I use a Fender Mustang) which will give pretty much any sound you want..having said that, I prefer to play this with a clean sound through a Marshall 50w acoustic amp with a Bheringer Blues effect pedal.

At the end of the day I have a Fender Tele, a Gretsch, an Epiphone Casino & various others that I've spent a lot of money on ...but there's something about this one that is really satisfying...maybe it's just because I could buy 14 of them for the price of a real one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guitar for a Beatles fan!, 8 Oct 2011
This review is from: Electric-RC Guitar by Gear4music Black
This is the second guitar I owned after playing for around a year and a half. Before this one I had a Telecaster copy made by Encore. Whilst this was a standard guitar for beginners I found it of poor quality with a weak sound and uncomfortable to play (the action was too high and the neck was heavier than the body so it tilted all the time!)

Being a fan of bands such as the Beatles, Smiths and Oasis, getting a Rickenbacker became a must! However a real one is a little on the pricey side so I started to search for a good quality copy of one. A friend recommended me a Indie IRK5, which is a great copy of a Rickenbacker 330. However this wasn't the cheapest of copies.

I found the RC Guitar by Gear4music, who I has heard have a great reputation for supplying high quality instruments. I brought the guitar as part of a package so it included an amp, strings, strap, lead etc, although I now play this through a Vox Lil' Night Train amp head and cab.

I was suprised at the varying tones this guitar can produce. It has a very warm, jangly tone to it, perfect for 60's and 70's tunes :) but is also capable of producing rock/jazz/blues tones. The action was fairly low but is very easy to adjust using a flathead screwdriver. The overall finish on the guitar is to a fairly high standard and after having it a year it hasn't taken a beating to unlike my previous guitar which must have been made out of wood shavings by the amount of damaged it sustained just around the house!

I have made a few modifications to this guitar including:
- Lower the action further to make it easier to play.
- Changing the strings (I WOULD INSIST ON THIS, the ones that came on it were pretty rubbish!) I have used Ernie Ball and Elixir strings which both gave a lovely tone.
- Sanded and painted the edge of the F hole. (The finish here was a little rough and it looked unfinished without the paint. A simple coat of black gloss around the edge of the F hole has improved the whole look of the guitar.
- Removed the Gear4music decal on the headstock (Purely to personal opinion, it looks better without this big logo and people aren't so sceptical about this guitar - as G4M are known for cheap guitars, people have a certain perseption about quality).

SO overall this is a fantastic guitar with great tones, maybe not as good as a Rickenbacker but it's around 1200 cheaper so we can't expect it to compete! It's highly durable, and looks fantastic. I've gigged with this and it's sounded great and has hardly a scratch on it. For the price paid, I can't really fault this guitar BUT if you get one, change the strings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric rc Guitar, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Electric-RC Guitar by Gear4music Black
Loved the guitar, and it looked just like the Beatles John Lennon's. So marvellous for doing a Beatles tribute band.

4.0 out of 5 stars great copy, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Electric-RC Guitar by Gear4music Black
Wold recommend this Guitar to enyone who play,s nice action well finished even got a ring of a Rickenbacker great

Electric-RC Guitar by Gear4music Black