5.0 out of 5 stars Merrell Moab Fantastic product
Published on 7 Sep 2011 by The MK

I got a pair of these in Walnut while the US in 2008 and still have them, they are without doubt the best footwear I have ever bought. Washed several times, still fully in tact despite very regular use.

Published on 25 Jan 2012 by Musical Truth

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, Merrell's standards have dropped enormously., 25 Jan 2012

They were starting to look tired I decided to buy a pair in Black in October 2011. When they arrived they looked identical but in black and I was chuffed till I put them on. I found they were much stiffer and felt far less comfortable than I recall my first pair were when I first wore them but I thought that may be due to them being new and perhaps the memory of my first pair was a little rose tinted.

I checked them against the old pair and all the styling seemed to match etc so I put them on and went 'merrelly' about my way. Three months down the line with daily wear and while they are okay I found they are no more comfortable than when I first got them plus parts of the inner heel have started to wear away and occasionally I get blisters on my heels - the padding in my first pair was so thick and comfy this never happened with them even though I walked up and down the Grand Canyon having only had them a couple of days.

So I'm starting to feel very disappointed and a little cheated.

Having inspected more closely on the inside I have found that the original pair have a layer of cushioning inside that seems to missing on the new black ones. Plus the seams on the original pair at the heel are completely covered with the cushioning but on these newer ones you can clearly feel the seams at the heel, not just one but two, one horizontally and one vertically and they are really starting to rub now.

I have noticed other subtle aspects of the finish which seem cheaper too, the heel ring is unbranded on the newer ones, the old ones had the Merrell logo on the heel pull. The tongue logo is just stuck on with the newer ones and the old ones had some suede and the logo was stitched carefully into the suede so as not to protrude. The front wrap is less rubbery which some may prefer, I don't as I like the extra resistance to water/mud and dust but the material here also seems cheaper and certainly wont last the distance the old pair have.

The most obvious flaw is the comfort though. These are no better than a cheap £15-30 of budget/supermarket trainers.

There are three possible explanations for this, one is that Amazon are selling fakes, one is that Merrell's quality is going down the shoot, and the other is that Merrell deliberately has different standards for goods sold in Europe than they do for those sold in the US although both appear to have been made in the same Chinese factory.

I don't know what the reason is but the long and short of it is that I will not be buying any more Merrell shoes and am somewhat discouraged from buying footwear from Amazon.

I can certainly no longer recommend Merrell as a worthwhile premium brand of shoe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrell Moab Fantastic product, 7 Sep 2011
I purchased these boots to continue long distance walking over `rough ground'. Did the black mountain roundabout in inferior boots and paid the price! I have been putting some serious miles on these, most training outing start at about 8 to 10 miles, recent did Scafell Pike with no problems what so ever and intend to do the Longmynd 50 mile in October. I did try these on in a local store and defiantly needed a size bigger. The insole is perhaps a bit on the high and I had small blisters on the first two wearing in sessions, other than that they have been fantastic, yes you do get hot feet but that's to be expected! I would certainly recommend these for general wear and competition walking.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like these boots, 6 May 2009
A history of buying shoes and boots that ultimately need to be given away always introduces tension into the buying process. But I really like these boots, they are light, offer very good support, are waterproof, and have a removable inner sole so one can insert one's own. I have bought a size bigger than I normally buy, they may be sized quite small. I have replaced the laces with elastic ones, just my choice, nothing wrong with their laces. I would buy again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only 6 months and leaking like a sieve, 16 Oct 2013
I bought these boots in April of this year 2013-this is my 3rd pair and certainly my last. In each case they have fallen apart and leaked. Why am I stupid enough to keep buying them? because they are superbly lightweight and comfortable! However my patience is now at an end, having bought this pair and worn them through the recent warm dry summer now that the grass is wet they leak like a sieve. I only walk on the flat doing around 20 miles a week so they haven't been over worked-no excuse for shoddy workmanship and enough negative reviews have appeared on here for Merrell to take notice-an E.mail to them failed to get a response so their boots are poor and customer service invisible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommendation, 2 Aug 2012
These Merrill hill walking mid boots were recommended by my son.He has been using them over the last 9 months. No Complaints. 100% as described and I ordered a UK 10 as a size bigger. I had read the other reviews and followed their advice on size. Perfect fit with room for thicker socks and some foot expansion when trekking. Great value (£64)discounted offer from retail price of £110. Looking forward to exploring the Stirling hills at the weekend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell Apart, 13 Jun 2010
Bought these elsewhere from what I remember (Amazon are always great). These were good boots at first, flexible, light, just good all round hiking/adventure boot. However they were sometimes quite uncomfortable, on a couple of occassions I got blisters, but this wasn't the main problem. After about 3 months of relatively tough use (this is what the boot is built for?) the boots fell apart, the sole just fell off the stitchings came loose and they were just generaly beyond repair, had to bin them. These boots do NOT stand the test of time. I've recently bought a pair of Berghaus Lights from Amazon and I can tell right off the bat they are durable as anything, looking forward to seeing if they stand the test of time.

UPDATE - its been several months now and my Berghaus explorer trail light boots have received a lot of very tough use and they are still in perfect condition. Though I won't go on as this is still a review for the Merrells.

2.0 out of 5 stars still creates hot feet & blisters, 27 Jun 2010
First off, sizing. I heeded the warnings of other reviewers and tried a pair on at a shop before purchasing on amazon - I am a size 9 normally but needed a size 10 in these. Don't buy these (like I did) thinking they are somehow superior to other boots in cooling hot feet - the mesh looks great but makes no appreciative difference in venting your feet. I still ended up getting blisters due to hot sweaty feet (despite the very best in wicking socks) I also own a pair of synthetic scarpas, they both make my feet equally hot. The benefit of the scarpas is that they are a little more robust and you can't feel every stone you stand on, unlike the merrells. Some will say its down to the goretex lining but its a brave person who buys a pair of boots for walking in Britain without some degree of waterproofness. I will continue to wear these for 'soft' walking and around town, just don't be fooled by merrells blurb.

3.0 out of 5 stars Far smaller than the size suggests, 28 Oct 2011
The Evil Doctor (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Unfortunately I can't write a proper review because these boots are just far too small, so here is some friendly advice for other buyers. I bought these in a UK 13, however, when they arrived they were smaller than my size 12 trainers. It would have been impossible to wear them with walking socks let alone normal socks. So if you want a pair, be sure to opt for AT LEAST a size larger than your normal foot size. I'm very disappointed because they don't do any larger sizes and seem to be a fantastic quality boot. I sent mine back and credit to Amazon for their no-fuss money back returns policy :-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Replacements fell apart, 7 Sep 2014
Paula (Chesterfield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Following my review of September last year my boots were returned to Merrell who agreed to replace them. Here we are 11 months later and the replacements are leaking because the seams are coming apart. Merrell really do have serious problems with these boots buy at your peril. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn but really not fit for purpose.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 30 Dec 2011
I live in area when rains almost every day, so, let say, i need proper waterproof equipment. Ive bought those boots for 3 reasons : 1 (main) waterproofing; 2 price (average); 3 comfort. To be honest, for the first few weeks i loved those boots. I could survive the biggest downpour with dry feet. I bought them 01 Sep 2011, now the shoe sole has separated from upper fabric and boots are no longer waterproof!!! So what's the point of buying waterproof (gore tex)that are no waterproof at all. Boots probably the most comfortable i've ever had, but still my feet are wet so im unhappy ...