4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts Are Things.
I heard Simon talk to Richard Bacon on 5Live and thought that I'd give this a look.

Published on 16 Dec. 2010 by Scott Dean

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid DVD debut
Having seen 'Do Nothing' earlier today I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised; the former due to the almost total absence of Amstell's Buzzcocks visceral wit, the latter as a result of enjoying what seems almost like an experiment - or at least a comeback of sorts - in opening up to the audience and attempting a more traditional, mellow stand-up routine...
Published on 6 Dec. 2010 by J. T. Hooker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts Are Things., 16 Dec. 2010
Scott Dean (Lincolnshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon Amstell - Do Nothing Live [DVD] (DVD)

Funny and thought-provoking in equal measure. I did laugh (always a good sign), and I was also taken with Simon's philosophical views on love, life and the Universe and how he wove the thread of the work of Ernest Holmes, Richard Bach and Abraham-Hicks (to name just three), throughout his stand-up routine.

Although not as visceral and acerbic as Bill Hicks (stay with me here), the aforementioned philosophy of Amstell and the way in which he continuously introduces this into the routine did remind me of the late great Hicks at his most tender and profound; and Simon's style of delivery and the intimacy of his material means that the gentle way in which he gets his opinion across is much more effective than his contemparies like Russell Brand, who with his rather botched attempts at being some latter-day guru overwhelms his audience with a less than charming wild-eyed dictat. Amstell here peppers his routine with philosophical gems, whimsically tossing them aside as he takes us on this journey, whereas Brand bludgeons his congregation with his groin and feverish preaching.

However let's not forget that this is funny; maybe not "stop it, I'm peeing myself to death" hilarious, but very much worth the £6.99 Amazon are asking for it.

This will not only make you laugh, it may make you think, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very different stand-up, in the best possible way., 30 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Simon Amstell - Do Nothing Live [DVD] (DVD)
If you are on this page because you're hoping to see an hour of Amstell's Never Mind The Buzzcocks shtick, you will be disappointed, however, the sharp wit is still very much present on this dvd. Amstell's 'Do Nothing' is one of the most original, interesting pieces of stand-up comedy I have seen in a long time. This is not an hour of lazy jokes or offensive for the sake of it, low-brow humour. Amstell's comedy is raw, fresh, uncompromising and very funny.

Also, do not miss the interview with Tim Key in the extras; it's brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Death is Coming", 30 Dec. 2010
Mr. Edward Hockenhull "Ed Man" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon Amstell - Do Nothing Live [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant. Made me laugh. Made me think. Made me relax. Made me go "Yeah, I agree". Reminded me of other people and comedians worth looking up to; the thinkers and the ones that reasure us (the fear and love theme in the show would throw anyone familiar with Bill Hicks to his philosophies, and it's good the message is still being carried in comedy). He isn't the same as the man I saw years ago at a festival and he isn't the man he is on The Buzzcocks but he addresses this in his standup, that you can change yourself; the "I am God" philosophy in the show is funny but plausible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wit overpowers punchlines, 27 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Simon Amstell - Do Nothing Live [DVD] (DVD)
Being a fan of Amstell on Buzzcocks, I was unsure of what exactly to expect on this DVD. I had heard that he had changed his style a bit, no longer wishing to constantly berate celebrities but rather to evaluate himself. Seeing the result I was beyond pleased, it was better than anything I could have hoped for.

This entire show is a self-deprecating experience for Amstell, in which his honesty is what creates the laughs. He utilizes events from his life to provide the spectator with a new perspective on who he really is. These sometimes subtle degradations are clearly much more meaningful to Amstell, and provided me with a much more interesting viewing. Some of his philosophies also shines through, and even if one is to disagree with them, the questions they bring up certainly are intriguing. The show could be summarized almost as a session with a therapist, throughout which Amstell being the patient is explaining his issues to the crowd, who acting as the therapist appear to cleanse him with their laughter. This direct relationship between viewer and presenter is one that is much more powerful than any other stand-up show that I have ever seen, and in the end Amstell had left me even moved by his utter honesty.

Personally, I felt that this DVD was excellent. Amstell's anecdotes reach further and hit on a profound level more so than any joke that I have ever heard. If you want to constantly laugh out loud at joke after joke, then perhaps you pass on this DVD. But if you are looking for an insightful experience, littered with subtle humour, then I would definitely suggest Do Nothing.

5.0 out of 5 stars For fans of 'Grandma's House' and heartfelt clever stand-up., 9 Dec. 2010
Mr. S. J. Dutton (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon Amstell - Do Nothing Live [DVD] (DVD)
This is such a breath of fresh air from the usual 'christmas stand-up' shows available on DVD. First off the extras are fantastic with possibly my favourite comic Tim Key (well worth checking out) giving a very amusing interview with Amstell. The show itself although short is gripping and funny, stories of failed romance and awkwardness "i dont know how to talk to humans", this is intelligent comedy with hardly any discernable punch lines (a good thing as far as i'm concerned). He has an extremely warm and engaging persona, fans of never mind the buzzcocks may be surprised at the content and if you're expecting celebrity gossip and self referential smugness give Ricky Gervais' latest effort a go. This is just lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars extremely funny and very insightful., 14 Jan. 2011
Mr. P. J. R. Nolan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon Amstell - Do Nothing Live [DVD] (DVD)
I won't say much here because I fear I may spoil the joy of watching this show, largely, unprimed. This is a great comedy show, which is both cerebral and surprisingly candid. I am very glad I bought it and I now plan to buy a copy for my friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars You MUST buy this DVD.., 7 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Simon Amstell - Do Nothing Live [DVD] (DVD)
...for yourself, your brother, sister, mum, dad, boyfriend, girlfriend, friend.....anyone in fact, so utterly different and superior to any other comedy dvd (of which i have tons!) He's a class above the rest and his humour just so unique...i love him x

5.0 out of 5 stars It does something., 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Simon Amstell - Do Nothing Live [DVD] (DVD)
There's something strange about watching Simon Amstell not doing 'Never mind the buzzcocks', I kinda expected his usual kind of wit throughout the gig, but instead I got a hilarious dvd in which I discovered a new side of his humour.

He explained areas of his life that were both funny and personal, and I laughed, I didn't expect to, but I did. What more can I say? Buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid DVD debut, 6 Dec. 2010
J. T. Hooker (Albion) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simon Amstell - Do Nothing Live [DVD] (DVD)

Overall, three stars because although I felt entertained throughout in an almost whimsical, storytelling sense - certainly no bad thing - I felt that as a purely stand-up comedy effort it fell somewhat flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this!, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Simon Amstell - Do Nothing Live [DVD] (DVD)
Wonderful stuff! It's like being a voyeur to a private therapy session - where the 'patient' has extraordinary insights, along with the ability to laugh at himself and situations. Although very funny, it's not always comfortable, given the levels of openness about inner conflict,low self-esteem and sexual angst. This, however, constitutes the best sort of humour: clever, insightful and remarkably honest. Wonderful stuff!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›