5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to get into programming, 6 Aug 2009
I've struggled with learning programming (usually through actionscript) for a while now each time falling at the stage where all of the parts came together.

This is the best book I have found (and I've read plenty) to explain the core concepts and structures of programming.

It's well written and benefits from an author obviously aware of which concepts students struggle with which he takes the time to explain in very straightforward ways.

If you follow the exercises (which allow you to create interesting things anyhow) you'll really get the benefit and begin to think in a different way.

If you're looking to get into processing or wish to understand the core concepts behind object orientated language I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning Processing: A Beginner's Guide to Programming Images, Animation, and Interaction, 23 Feb 2010
Niall Dempsey (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for anyone wishing to begin learning computer programming or for someone moving from another language to Processing. It is written in a coarse book style that can be read on one's own or as class material. Every chapter has explanations, examples and exercises that progress in an incremental manner starting with the basics and working up from there. It moves along at a steady pace with interesting and useful examples. It encourages the reader to develop an excellent methodology for developing computer programs. The only criticism I have is that with some of the exercises it is difficult to figure out what exactly is required and on a number of occasions I had to check out the answers on the website for the book to understand the exercise. Overall a great book and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, starts from the basics, 19 Feb 2011
O. Baker - See all my reviews
Great book to learn any kind of programming, the concepts are completely transferrable.

Coming from a background in PHP web development myself I was able to skim through the first half of the book, but beyond that, I'm learning lots of things very quickly.

Shiffman manages to communicate concept concisely and clearly, would reccomend this book to anyone interested in learning to program, regardless of prior experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Starter, 15 April 2012
This book is an excellent one to get you started with Processing.
Although I have quite an experience with programming, I strongly believe it is an excellent book to get a newbie started. Lots of very helpful sample code and excellent support at book's website.
Furthermore, writer was available to discuss and answer delicate/advanced questions and references.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners to programming, but goes further., 15 Nov 2011
M. Ward (Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst at university I did a module centered around Processing. I'd never used the programme before and if truth be told, I wasn't great at programming (I didn't actually think I was getting myself into programming). This book takes you through everything step by step and as long as you do everything it asks of you, you will gain knowledge to take yourself forward and create great graphical animations, just using programming.

I had the help of lecturers and practical assessment, but I'm certain you could learn this alone (it might just take a bit longer).

It also comes with a whole website which has the examples from the book, so you can see what they should look like and it has the starter code already done, so you don't have to type it out from the book.

The only (very slight) drawback is it's written by an American, so it uses certain phrases and things which are very "American". But this isn't a massive issue and I'm nitpicking really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential handbook for learning processing, 27 May 2013
This book is essential for anyone who is interested in processing. It is easier going and smaller than the 'bible' blue book but its really the first book you should read. Shiffman is an awesome teacher and his videos online really do explain processing very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginners Guide to programming images, 18 Jan 2013
I bought the book for my son and it met my his expectations and he is finding it a useful addition to his lectures.

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended!, 13 April 2012
I have been interested in processing for a while and this book is definitely what i was looking for. Highly recommended for anyone who cant decide where to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for teaching students how to program, 2 Oct 2011
Alan Milosevic (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a first class introduction to programming for students wanting to get to grips with programming concepts quickly and effectively. After spending many years teaching Pascal and C (and on the odd occasion with more advanced students, TCL/TK) I now use it every year with my new A-Level group. Processing is an excellent Java wrapper and not only do the students get lots of positive feedback from the language as they rapidly build small graphics programs, but as they progress, the full functionality of Java becomes available to them. Daniel Shiffman writes very well - his style is chatty but always accurate. The pace is well judged, gentle at the beginning, quicker as the student becomes grows in confidence. Most importantly, it's a book that the students take home and read with enjoyment, not something that can be said for all programming books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 Oct 2013
A great introductory book, to learning processing. That I will be dipping in and out of, whilst taking a course.