5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and effective with it
I bought this one for an ageing mother-in-law who wants something that does what she needs and no more, doesn't make her pay for more than she needs (though simplicity was no.1), and as the final imperative point, is easy to use.

Published on 9 Jan 2012 by Anonyfinn

3.0 out of 5 stars Toner Cartridge NOT included!
Published 6 months ago by AL

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and effective with it, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: HP CE847A LaserJet Pro M1132 MFP Printer (Personal Computers)

Though I have an office and perhaps greater needs, this B&W printer-copier makes me wonder why I need to spend many hundreds and upwards on my machines. The print quality is good, no doubt about it, and it's surprisingly fast, even on the initial page. Copying was fast too, faster than I expected after reading some reviews. You put your paper on the flatbed, press JUST ONE BUTTON, and a copy comes out quite smartly. There are three other buttons to change the number of copies, scale up and down, and alter the contrast up and down -- and it's a piece of cake with a blockly little flip-up LED display (digits in a yellow-green colour -- tilts up fo easy viewing when standing, but also folds flush with the machine if preferable). Certainly this display looks a little square and basic, even old-fashioned, but the simplicity is wonderful and it does the job. The copies I've seen aren't quite up to the quality of the prints if you peer at them; I understand it copies at 600 x 400 dpi, but that's plenty enough for very legible text which looks perfectly ok.

Scanning to file such as pdf format (also does jpeg and more) took rather longer, even a minute by the time you've previewed the scan before accepting it, which seems to mean you do the final scan all over again, and also select the file type and name your file etc -- not that that's entirely the printer's fault. Possibly it's the higher resolution of up to 1200 dpi that slows scanning to file compared to copying. This would be the way to get a higher quality copy than the one-button process described.

Looks-wise this device is reasonable in a matt but not dull black. The rear looks a little grey and thermo-formed in places and not visually pleasing (point it to the wall or stick a plant there), and as mentioned the flip-up copier display (mid-left in the product picture) is a little blocky and the buttons (nicely?) basic, small though it is.

In summary, you have an extremely decent print result, fair and fast copying, and options to scan to file -- and it's very easy to use, which shouldn't be overlooked, including when measuring the speed of copying, for instance. It's from HP, which means the makers should know what they are doing, it should sell well, and toner cartridge availability should be good for some years. I'm surprised at what it does for the price, and if the above is sufficient for your home printing and copying needs, this printer is worth extremely serious consideration. No, I'll contradict myself: with that price and performance, heavier contemplation should go to the grocery list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Speedy, accessible, budget multifunction laser printer, 4 Aug 2012
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
By and large, this budget multifunction mono laser printer is easy to set up and use. The printer runs on direct mains power (no bulky transformer) and requires little in the way of set-up before you can start to make use of it: most of what's needed is the removal of security tapes/seals/packaging polystyrene. The toner cartridge threw me a little - it arrived pre-installed (although you have to take it out to remove the security seals).

Printing and copying are nicely speedy. The easy-to-use front control panel allows basic copying tasks to be accomplished at the press of a single button and the quality of the output (both copying and printing) is excellent.

The build quality of the printer isn't the best: but then, the RRP doesn't suggest heavy duty office ware. The machine is plasticey and quite lightweight feeling and this worried me initially, but in practice the printer has proven to be quite robust enough for use in a home/home office environment.

If you are likely to want to duplicate multi-page documents on a fairly frequent basis, it's probably worth looking at one of the MFPs which include a document feeder for their copier. Price-wise there often isn't much difference, but this machine has a basic copier only, and each page you want copied has to be manually aligned on the glass, the lid closed, the copy taken and the original removed before you can progress to the next. Not a problem if you don't do much copying, but time-consuming enough to be a nuisance if you have habitual need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good multi function printer, 26 Oct 2012
Bought for small office use to replace an inkjet and cut printing costs (only ever print B&W in this context). Works well, easy to set up on Windows 7 (drivers are loaded onto onboard memory, so no scrammbling around for cd's. Only negative is that, as is often the case, the toner cartridge provided is not the standard retail size, but much smaller capacity. Print quality (which is really what matters) is very good and its not too noisy either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Printer's good - HP support isn't., 17 Feb 2012
This is a lovely printer - fast quiet and on a very small footprint. Sadly the photocopier and scanner died after about 1 week. I called HP Support. I thought maybe they could offer a quick fix, but as I'd not registered it yet and it was over a year since manufacture they counted it as out of warranty! They told me I'd have to email in with proof of purchase and a few days after they could help me. All this on a 5p per minute phone line.

I called Amazon who immediately swapped it out for a new one which works. Well done Amazon. HP Customer Service RIP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, very usefull printer, 2 Jun 2012
Good buy, good value for money, very useful for day to day printing of small jobs in the office and I am sure at home depending on what people need it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Low-Cost Printing Solution (Cheap Cartridges), 12 Sep 2012
B. Osler - See all my reviews
This is an excellent printer/scanner/copier for everyday printing that doesn't need to be in colour. It was easy to put together and install. It prints stuff out surprisingly fast and the driver properties allow you to choose to have all text printed in black and lose the pictures to save toner. The original HP cartridges are expensive at about 45 a piece but brand new compatible ones are available (at on-line auction sites) for 9 including postage; I look for "new" rather than "re-manufactured" although the latter wouldn't do any harm; they've just been refilled with toner powder and re-chipped. The manufacturing part number for the cartridges is "CE285A" and if you bung that in as a search term at an on-line auction site you'll get a whole heap of results at under a tenner. Cartridges have a long shelf life and I've stocked up because one never knows when prices will rice. I've been caught out by that before - an Olympus photo printer with very reasonable media costs where those costs sky-rocketed so suddenly that it became cheaper to throw away the printer and have photos printed at my local shop, which is what I now do.
Before this LaserJet I was using a Canon ip3300 InkJet printer but when the heads clogged up to much to be cleared with alcohol I thought about all that mucking about with ink and decided, since I got the shop to print my photos anyway, black and white is good enough for everyday printing. The HP LaserJet serves me well although I will be keeping an eye out for another ip3300 InkJet in auctions mainly because I've already bought a continuous inking system but also because it's nice to be able to print the odd bit of colour occasionally. InkJets are past their peek now though so I'd never bother with a new model - who needs planned obsolescence and expensive multiple cartridges to buy.
So - yes, a great LaserJet printer for under 100 with cheap cartridges and a footprint only a bit bigger that an InkJet. It also has a scanner as a bonus and gives you the ability to make a photocopy quickly by pressing just one button. Well worth the 93 I paid for it including the postage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Toner Cartridge NOT included!, 26 Dec 2013
I have never before purchased a printer that did not come complete with ink/toner/ribbon to enable immediate use of the machine. This one came with no pre-warning on the advertising that it would have no toner cartridge. I had to go out and find one locally (70) before I could use the printer. While the software loaded perfectly onto my desk top computer running Windows7 Home Premium, it will not load onto my laptop which running Windows XP.
While I may be able to get this sorted in due course, it is a source of annoyance and hence the low rating.
Further, when trying to register the printer for Warranty purposes, HP tell me that it is out of the warranty period!
As a printer copier it works fine and is faster than the HP 7100 office machine that it replaces, although it does not copy to the edges of the paper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very quick delivery, 12 Sep 2012
The USB cable was not included - which I didn't know of. Found out only after opening the package. Will have to wait for the USB cable to arrive before I test the printer. But the delivery was super fast. Used Amazon Prime... ordered it at 4:30 pm and it arrived by 8:30 am the next morning. Really impressed with the delivery by City Sprint!

Update 02 Feb 2012: I have had this printer for over 15 months now and it is working perfectly fine. I don't use it regularly but whenever I need it, doesn't fail me. Takes about a minute to start up. I've had occasional issues while plugging the USB to Laptop while the printer is on. But I have learnt to first plug in and then turn on the printer and it usually accepts the plug and play device and happily prints.

The scanner and photocopier are also fine. It is not extremely fine quality, but for a multi-purpose printer like this one, it does the job. The user interface controls could have been better - but we can figure it out! a good printer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth EVERY Pence!, 17 Aug 2013
Well-made and very versatile. Easy to setup - just followed the pictures and it was ready to use in no time. Be forewarned: No USB-to-printer cable was included, however. It was not a problem for me because I have all sorts of spare computer parts. Thinking back on it, the missing cable was probably a mistake. Two power cables (one for GB and another for mainland Europe) were included. Most likely one of the power cables should have been the USB cable instead.

The print quality is excellent. Duplexing was easy to figure out. The scanner works fine. Good, all-around piece of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little printer, 11 Jun 2013
T. Schafer "TS" (Essex/ UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a nice little printer, that would also offer scanning and stumbled across the HP M1132 MFP.
Personally I think it is great value for money.
- It looks fairly pretty (as far as you can talk about pretty with regards to a printer). It is a square, black box which fits snugly on the side of my desk
- had one little hiccup with the setup. As there was no printer cable included I purchased one, however I was not aware that it has to be shorter than 1,20m. My original one was 4,80m which meant my computer would not recognise the printer. It took me reading quite a few reviews and forums to find out what the issue was. Once I replaced the cable with a shorter one, the setup happened automatically and didn't take very long
- Toner cartridge is included (but I haven't printed enough yet to give an indication how much it allows you to print)
- Nice print quality, super easy to use
- Toner cartridge was easy to insert though you have to make sure to remove the plastic protection strips before printing
- I have not tried the scan functionality yet

I would have given it 5 stars but the fact that there was no printer cable included and it did not advise the length needed took slightly away from my initial enthusiasm hence only 4 stars (which is still great I think).
I am definitely quite pleased with this purchase and would recommend the product!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›